Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2022, 12:23 PM

Default Looking for a cabin for sale on a lake in N Sk or N Ab

Does anyone know of any small cabin type places for sale on a lake in Northern Sk or N Ab? Or where to look for these types of places? Not looking for a place on a busy popular lake with many cabins etc.
Not wanting a lodge type place, just a place of my own for family/friends.
Any place exist that doesn't break the bank?
The fewer the properties, the better. and the fishing has to be good, LOL.
Pike/walleye a must.

thank you
Old 11-22-2022, 08:21 PM

There is a pretty decent selection in sask. And much better fishing.

BUT - the less people, the more $, and the all but guaranteed problems of break ins, squatters and/or fires.

Fill in some details: budget, square footage, bedrooms, services or off grid, 4x4 road or gravel, boat launch or no, etc. etc. and someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

Myself and the wife have talked about this a fair bit and decided we will probably retire out there, but will not invest in property until we will be living in it, with 2-3 big shepards and a serious fire suppression plan.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

BUT - the less people, the more $, and the all but guaranteed problems of break ins, squatters and/or fires.

Fill in some details: budget, square footage, bedrooms, services or off grid, 4x4 road or gravel, boat launch or no, etc. etc. and someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

Myself and the wife have talked about this a fair bit and decided we will probably retire out there, but will not invest in property until we will be living in it, with 2-3 big shepards and a serious fire suppression plan.
Not to derail, but first hand experience here, if you do a good job of clearing the underbrush and deadfall, even as little as 100 yards in every direction of your cabin, and have a reasonable apron with few trees near the house that will most likely be the most important part of the fire suppression plan. Not a guarantee by any means, but it exponentially increases your chances of protecting your home site.

We had a big fire come through about a decade ago and it seemed to have fizzled out where we cleared the underbrush, removed all the deadfall and fuel and did a complete "go around" leaving the cabin, other out buildings alone. There was a big relief when we came back to look and see that we were spared.

We just kept at it, gathering firewood, then I would go in and brush mow a couple times a year to keep on top of it and kept on working it. Was worth all the effort (and had lots of firewood as well for years).
Old 11-23-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

I'm thinking the more secluded the better. Budget lets say $100-200k
Min 2-3 bedroom, off grid is fine, dont care. Fly in or boat in is better with no road access is preferred but would consider a drive in as well. I'm thinking no boat launch, likely run a 16' tinny that can be pulled up on shore when not there.
The location is more important than a fancy cabin.

thanks fellas.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:25 PM

Not too far from Edmonton or remote but thought I'd post anyways.

Rainbow, Browns and Tigers. No Walleye or pike.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ty-spring-lake

Stan
Old 12-02-2022, 08:10 AM

Look at Calling Lake. A Number of the re3sidents are "aging out" and have to move closer to health care locations.

Calling Lake has its own water treatment plant, sewage disposal lagoon, RCMP Day Office, and firehall.

You might not think this is a big deal, but hauling water, getting a location for sewage disposal, an fire protection are just some of the things city people do not understand about cabin life. Take any of the "summer village" settings and ask for an Insurance Quote. Response time of more than 15 minutes will mean that there is nothing to put out anyway, and your property insurance will reflect that. On top of that, there is a day office for the RCMP and they are around the area alot.

As for any lake, what you want to know is how bad is the blue - green algae? Baptiste Lake is done by July 1. Same with Pigeon, Lake Isle, Lac St. Anne. Lac La Biche also has a problem that starts mid July. Calling can get bad mid August, but it has a river that still runs all year long to drain it. That is a big deal with phosphate build up and how fast the lake clears the algae.

Drewski