Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-17-2014, 03:04 PM

Question Reloading question

I have a question on reloading some rounds for my 300 Win Mag (Hornady interbonds, 165gr)... Attached is a picture of a page out of my Speer Reloading manual. Im new to reloading so I don't have much knowledge on this.

So my question is, what would be the advantage of using Reloader 22 or H4831SC compared to using the IMR 7828? Why would I not use the IMR powder and get the extra 200FPS? Would it be less accurate? And why is there more powder per shell? Is it shaped differently?

Also, is this data for Speer bullets ok to use for my Hornady bullets?

Thanks!!
-Spencer

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7

Last edited by *BigSexyHunter*; 10-17-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BigSexyHunter* View Post

So my question is, what would be the advantage of using Reloader 22 or H4831SC compared to using the IMR 7828? Why would I not use the IMR powder and get the extra 200FPS? Would it be less accurate? And why is there more powder per shell? Is it shaped differently?

Thanks!!
-Spencer
typically the more case volume you can fill the more accurate the load. compressed loads are pretty common for me.

now i would say stay away from r22 unless you want to pay more for a powder you can almost never ever find.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Maybe check more than one source for data. Hodgdon show the max load of 7828 as 79.5.
And Nosler shows the 7828 as the slower powder.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Last edited by benamen; 10-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:12 PM

There might not be an advantage to one powder over another. Your rifle might prefer one of them over the others but that would be it. If I had to decide where to start myself, I would start with the hodgdon extreme power for their temperature stability then my next choice would be what I have or what I can find. Remember to start at the minimum and work up slowly.

As for your other question, I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
There might not be an advantage to one powder over another. Your rifle might prefer one of them over the others but that would be it. If I had to decide where to start myself, I would start with the hodgdon extreme power for their temperature stability then my next choice would be what I have or what I can find. Remember to start at the minimum and work up slowly.

As for your other question, I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.
I have a couple pounds of H4831SC I was just wondering why I wouldn't try the IMR7828 and get that extra FPS

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 10-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have a couple pounds of H4831SC I was just wondering why I wouldn't try the IMR7828 and get that extra FPS
try it! work up some loads and see how it shoots it may be faster and more accurate you never know until you try
Old 10-17-2014, 04:08 PM

Manuals will usually give a number of suitable powders available to the hand loader, but not all that work.
Every rifle will perform a bit differently, and bullets will not always react the same to a particular rifle.
I have seen velocity difference of upwards to 150FPS or more with two different rifles with the same load .

Cat
Old 10-17-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I have a question on reloading some rounds for my 300 Win Mag (Hornady interbonds, 165gr)... Attached is a picture of a page out of my Speer Reloading manual. Im new to reloading so I don't have much knowledge on this.

Thanks!!
-Spencer
Reasons for using different powders:

- Stability
- Heat of explosion, single-base vs. double-base, granule shape being stick or ball, and burn rate (which affect barrel life, difficulty to ignite, how compact the powder fits within the case)
- Velocity
- Accuracy with a given load combination
- Efficiency
- Availability

You won't know which powder provides greater accuracy until you try it. You might get lucky and get high velocity with great accuracy.

More powder per shell for two reasons: 1) Some powders are bulkier than others, so less fits in the case 2) Different powder burn rates necessitate different amounts of powder to hit the same peak pressure in a given load. Your manual shows how much powder you can add without going over that peak pressure, and without overflowing the case, whichever comes first.

Hornady bullets typically have a lot less bearing surface and have jackets made of a harder alloy than Speer bullets. Both factors reduce pressure with Hornday bullets, so you should be fine using Speer data with C&C Hornady bullets.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:45 PM

I can't offer advise on your specific questions but when I get home tonight I'll post up a picture from my Hornady manual of the 165gr for you.
Happy loading!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:44 PM

There is a reason that load data varies from manual to manual, that is because of the variables in rifles and in components. Barrel and chamber dimensions vary considerably from rifle to rifle, and powder can vary from lot to lot. The powder that produces the most velocity on one rifle, may not produce the most velocity in another rifle. A powder that produces accurate loads in one rifle, may not be accurate in another rifle. A load listed in a manual, may not even be safe to use in you rifle. Look at several manuals, then use the data as a starting point to begin your load development.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
I can't offer advise on your specific questions but when I get home tonight I'll post up a picture from my Hornady manual of the 165gr for you.
Happy loading!
That would be awesome, thanks!

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 10-17-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
There are a variety of opinions on this subject. The official statement as per your Speer manual is to not substitute data for different brands of bullets (i.e. only use manufacturer data for that specific bullet brand, weight, part #, etc., even if the bullet is the same weight). I would grab Hornady data.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:32 PM

When substituting bullets it is a very good practise to go back down to about mid range and work up again, same as brass and primers.
There can be a very big difference in pressure between certain primers.
The biggest problem I see is people trying to substitute EVERYTHING!!
Speer bullet instead of Hornady, Winchester instead of Remington brass, CCI 210BR instead of instead of Federal 210, it's a crap shoot then!
Cat
Old 10-17-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Happy loading!
Not to be a bother, But could you post for the 165gr & 180gr?

Thanks!!

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 10-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Banned

The authors of test data that make up their manuals face a lot of the same variables that we do as reloaders, thus the differences in their data.

Altitude at which the test facility is located.
Atmospheric conditions on test day, such as humidity factor.
The test barrel itself, bore diameter and length, free bore.
Powder lots.
Just to name a few variables.

Thus, the reason that each one of them states to not use their data as gospel, but mere reference and as we all know, start lower and check resulting fired brass and work your way upward safely.