Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 PM

Default 2 pc vs multi pc fly rods

For those that fish a variety of fly rods, I wonder what your experience has been using a 2 piece rod vs a multi piece (3,4,5 or more pieces)? I am talking at 9ft rods here.
for packability, I know a 4 or 5 piece is great, but how do you feel the castability, loading etc stacks up against a 2 piece with same line specs, action etc.
A few years back, I switched, as many others did to a 3 piece graphite rod, having been told that a 3-piece had a better through action. I agreed after I tried the 3-piece and was converted. Then I picked up 4 and 5 peice rods for ease of transport and all of a sudden, I liked them just as well as the 3 piece. But this past couple years I am back using 2 piece rods and liking them once again.
One thing I have found with multi piece rods is that there is more to work loose and come apart when casting.
Just wonder what other thoughts are out there?
For the sheer convenience of keeping my set-up intact and sticking in a reel pouch rod tube at end of day it is far more convenient. When it comes out of the rod tube, I just have to connect one joint and I am fishing. Of course, I still use 4 and 5 piece rods for travelling.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:59 PM

3 wt. and under i like 2 piece. I would like to try a single piece rod one day. Would be very inconvenient but who knows ? Maybe the "next thing" ? or is it already behind us.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
3 wt. and under i like 2 piece. I would like to try a single piece rod one day. Would be very inconvenient but who knows ? Maybe the "next thing" ? or is it already behind us.
hey Lannie, I thought 2 piece rods were ancient history, but there are still a lot around.
I tried a 5ft 10inch 5wt Sharpe's Lee Wulff one piece, quite a few years ago. Wulff wanted a short rod with a bit of backbone. So, Alan Sharpe changed the taper of the Sharpe Midge and gave Wulff what he wanted.
I found it good on short line but couldn't do much with it for longer casting as Wulff used it for.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 AM

I have both a 2 piece 6wt and and a 5 piece 4wt I enjoy them both. But I do wish I had bought the 4 piece 6wt, but only because it is easier to pack around. Both are great rods. My 6wt is mostly for the Bow so it's no biggie if it packs down small. The 4wt is great because I can throw in on my pack while I'm hiking or traveling.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 AM

I believe with improvement in rod technology over the years, there is no difference in terms of performance between multi-piece and single piece rods. Its more of a personal preference.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
I believe with improvement in rod technology over the years, there is no difference in terms of performance between multi-piece and single piece rods. Its more of a personal preference.
X2.
No difference in strength and action. Graphite/resin technologies have served us well.