Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

Horsetrader, I can only assume that you are one of these people who never volunteer for anything, but are one that likes to complain about everything a volunteer does. I volunteer for my kids sports, and I am on a social club at my work, and there are always people just like you that are always the complainers but who never step up to volunteer a second of their time.
As for the dock closure, my family and I camp at little bow at least 7-10 times a year. We do not have a boat, nor can we afford one, therefore I, along with my 2 sons fish on the dock almost every weekend. As a fisherman on the dock, I have seen first hand the amount of fish caught off the dock in a weekend, and let me tell you it is not very many, and keepers are far and few between. For those of you with your big fishing boats, you are being selfish in asking for the dock being closed to fishing. You drive all around the lake and fish where ever you like and keep whatever you want, heck, I am sure that some of you even fish with barbed hooks. I have seen on the dock a boat come in with the fishing rods up in the air, with barbed hooks attached to the lines, and you are going to push for the dock to be closed for me and my family to fish??
You guys need to get a life (maybe try doing some vounteer work) and quit complaining about the good other have done!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 PM

There was no conflict of interest. Brian was working on protecting the fish for walleyes unlimited. The arm was shut down in the first place by their work.

As president of SAWT he and other presidents have had tournments on Travers which included all open waters.

It would have been a conflict of interest had he not had the tournaments there! More info has come to light in the last year or so which influenced the changes for this year. I suspect that SAWT will follow the rules this year as well! And I believe Brian has lobbied for the changes for this year as well.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

I havent fished there in 25+ years but what I gather from the map, and the need for families to fish from that dock, why does it have to be that dock,, couldn't we build and donate a fishing dock for 600 meters east and out of the closure area? A dock for fishers not boaters,, am I seeing the regs to the map correctly? Would 600 meters east be in the closure area? If a SAWT fellow on board knows how this is done (putting a dock on the water legally), drop me a line.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by URDONKEYS View Post
Horsetrader, I can only assume that you are one of these people who never volunteer for anything, but are one that likes to complain about everything a volunteer does. I volunteer for my kids sports, and I am on a social club at my work, and there are always people just like you that are always the complainers but who never step up to volunteer a second of their time.
As for the dock closure, my family and I camp at little bow at least 7-10 times a year. We do not have a boat, nor can we afford one, therefore I, along with my 2 sons fish on the dock almost every weekend. As a fisherman on the dock, I have seen first hand the amount of fish caught off the dock in a weekend, and let me tell you it is not very many, and keepers are far and few between. For those of you with your big fishing boats, you are being selfish in asking for the dock being closed to fishing. You drive all around the lake and fish where ever you like and keep whatever you want, heck, I am sure that some of you even fish with barbed hooks. I have seen on the dock a boat come in with the fishing rods up in the air, with barbed hooks attached to the lines, and you are going to push for the dock to be closed for me and my family to fish??
You guys need to get a life (maybe try doing some vounteer work) and quit complaining about the good other have done!
well I'm glad I'am important enough for you to actually make an account just to flame me BUT I bet its more likely that you made an alter account because you don't have the balls to use your real account. Perhaps we should get the Mods to check that out.See I don't hide behind an alter ego I say what I think and not afraid to let people read it. As far as volunteering I have done a lot of it in my life for different clubs and organizations. I see your long list you volunteer for your kids sports HMMMMM they are your kids after all who should volunteer for them a total stranger and wow a social club at work I'm sure that helps a lot of people. The closer of that area is to help make it posable for your kids and grandkids to still be able to catch walleye in travers you apparently don't care about the future of the fishery there. It amazes me how it is so easy for people to whine about things that other people have worked so hard to get. Perhaps if you didn't need to belong in a SOCIAL club you could have worked a few more hours and bought a boat but that is your concern not mine.I'm sure you have seen lots of boats come in with BARBED hooks hanging off them bet you see a lot of pink elephants to it comes with the social club. As far as getting a life I have one and enjoy it very well sorry you can't say the same. Well I think we're done here.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
There was no conflict of interest. Brian was working on protecting the fish for walleyes unlimited. The arm was shut down in the first place by their work.

As president of SAWT he and other presidents have had tournments on Travers which included all open waters.

It would have been a conflict of interest had he not had the tournaments there! More info has come to light in the last year or so which influenced the changes for this year. I suspect that SAWT will follow the rules this year as well! And I believe Brian has lobbied for the changes for this year as well.
And I bet it could have been closed earlier if SAWT had made it off limites for their tournaments it would have shown SRD that even fishing groups were in favor of the closer to help the fishery.I don't see how the SAWT can't follow the rules this year like every one else. You know there is a saying that rings very true "A BAD VOLUNTEER IS WORSE THEN NO VOLUNTEER" think about it.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
And I bet it could have been closed earlier if SAWT had made it off limites for their tournaments it would have shown SRD that even fishing groups were in favor of the closer to help the fishery.I don't see how the SAWT can't follow the rules this year like every one else. You know there is a saying that rings very true "A BAD VOLUNTEER IS WORSE THEN NO VOLUNTEER" think about it.
You are one of the most classless and un educated guys that have ever been on this board. Because someone has an opinion does not make them a bad guy and not at all does it mean that they do not have the fishery in there best interest.
You are a classic keyboard fisherman and you should stop fishing for a fight...
Grow up and become part of the solution and not part of the problem.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
You are one of the most classless and un educated guys that have ever been on this board. Because someone has an opinion does not make them a bad guy and not at all does it mean that they do not have the fishery in there best interest.
You are a classic keyboard fisherman and you should stop fishing for a fight...
Grow up and become part of the solution and not part of the problem.

I'm sure you know classless you show it quit well as far as uneducated you say because someone has an opinion it does not make him a bad guy. But because I express mine you call me classless so what you really mean is as long as the opinion matches yours it's ok. Sorry I can't do that because if my opinion matched your then I would be uneducated. As far as being a keyboard fishermen I have caught and release more fish then you've seen and will continue to do so. you are dismissed.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

Can anyone tell me the exact change that was made is the dock off limits and for how long thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 AM

The dock is open at the same time as the main lake. 100 yards west of the dock is where the extra month closure is.

I have to stand up for Brian Eberts and say he is doing a fantastic job as SAWT president and Walleye Unlimited President.

He is one of the nicest people I have ever met and is all for making a fishery as good as it can possibly be. I don't think anyone with the passion he has for fishing would want anything bad to happen to a fishery that he uses so often. He is pushing to make things better for other generations and I am thankful for all the donated time that he has put in.

Ya we could have closed it a few years ago but where were all these soap box speakers at that time? They weren't involved until the problem was brought to their attention on this forum.

I would personally like to thank everyone that has put there time in with the SAWT to make a fun weekend for myself. I don't think I will be able to afford to fish this coming season but I have enjoyed the tournaments I have experienced so far. When I can afford to fish tournaments again you can bet that I will be there to hang out with fellow competitors and bull chit with them as usual.

I am a walleye tournament guy and yes I have fished the west arm in the prefishing and travers tourneys. I am all for making Travers a better fishery but I did not know what I know now and I am sure many others were the same way. I say we roll with the punches and all work together to try and make for better fisheries instead of cat calling and putting down people that donate their personal time to make a few weekends a year a fun and enjoyable time for competitive fishermen/woman.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 AM

Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 AM

Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:

It would have been a conflict of interest had he not had the tournaments there! ...
I think what was meant (this is how I take horsetrader's conflict comment anyways, so correct me if I'm wrong...) was that as President of Walleyes Unlimited, he was pushing for a later closure of the 'West Arm' in June, while as President of SAWT letting SAWT pre-fish and fish the West Arm in mid to late May, or whenever the Travers tourny is. So it looks like there is conflicting agendas with the 2 associations- 1 saying "close the West Arm till June to help protect pre to post spawn walleye", and the 2nd saying "well... it's not closed yet, so have at all those walleye we're trying to protect for the sake of a good tournament."

Quote:
... More info has come to light in the last year or so which influenced the changes for this year...
Can you speak to what info has come to light? Is this publicly known info or where did you find it? I'm curious to know what data is supporting the closure.

Quote:
... I suspect that SAWT will follow the rules this year as well! And I believe Brian has lobbied for the changes for this year as well.
I'm also curious as to what is meant by your comment above? You make it sound like you 'suspect' SAWT will not fish the west arm, even though it would be closed during the normal tourny date..... I should hope so, lol. I'm sure that's not what you meant, but it sure sounds like that.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
I think what was meant (this is how I take horsetrader's conflict comment anyways, so correct me if I'm wrong...) was that as President of Walleyes Unlimited, he was pushing for a later closure of the 'West Arm' in June, while as President of SAWT letting SAWT pre-fish and fish the West Arm in mid to late May, or whenever the Travers tourny is. So it looks like there is conflicting agendas with the 2 associations- 1 saying "close the West Arm till June to help protect pre to post spawn walleye", and the 2nd saying "well... it's not closed yet, so have at all those walleye we're trying to protect for the sake of a good tournament."

Can you speak to what info has come to light? Is this publicly known info or where did you find it? I'm curious to know what data is supporting the closure.

I'm also curious as to what is meant by your comment above? You make it sound like you 'suspect' SAWT will not fish the west arm, even though it would be closed during the normal tourny date..... I should hope so, lol. I'm sure that's not what you meant, but it sure sounds like that.
The way I see it your wrong(JustKidding). Brian was working towards improving the closures on the lake. Brian also allowed tournments on the lake while it was open and managed to satisfy both his commitments, did he not?

The last 2 years the weather has been different (colder), likely delaying spawning and creating the need to extend the closures. Info comes from having tournments as well.

As to the last part about "suspecting the SAWT" I was being sarcastic, of course they will follow the laws and regs.

PS, sorry Brian if I overstepped my bounds
Old 11-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
The dock is open at the same time as the main lake. 100 yards west of the dock is where the extra month closure is.

I have to stand up for Brian Eberts and say he is doing a fantastic job as SAWT president and Walleye Unlimited President.

He is one of the nicest people I have ever met and is all for making a fishery as good as it can possibly be. I don't think anyone with the passion he has for fishing would want anything bad to happen to a fishery that he uses so often. He is pushing to make things better for other generations and I am thankful for all the donated time that he has put in.

Ya we could have closed it a few years ago but where were all these soap box speakers at that time? They weren't involved until the problem was brought to their attention on this forum.

I would personally like to thank everyone that has put there time in with the SAWT to make a fun weekend for myself. I don't think I will be able to afford to fish this coming season but I have enjoyed the tournaments I have experienced so far. When I can afford to fish tournaments again you can bet that I will be there to hang out with fellow competitors and bull chit with them as usual.

I am a walleye tournament guy and yes I have fished the west arm in the prefishing and travers tourneys. I am all for making Travers a better fishery but I did not know what I know now and I am sure many others were the same way. I say we roll with the punches and all work together to try and make for better fisheries instead of cat calling and putting down people that donate their personal time to make a few weekends a year a fun and enjoyable time for competitive fishermen/woman.

You bring up a couple good point a lot of us didn't know about this.WHY? Why was this not brought to the attention of this forum and others like it long before this.Why did he not lobby places like this for support. Why was there never a petition put on this forum. I have seen other petitions on here or links to them for issues of less importance then this.

You say you fished tournaments But you know now things you didn't know before.Again WHY? Was this closer never discussed with SAWT. Was there never any mention of closing off that area to help improve the fishery and stop the fish from being harassed during post or pre spawn. I'm beginning to wonder where and if this was ever discussed.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:19 PM

More fisherpeople now than years ago, more knowledge on how to catch walleye now than years ago. Once the need was identified things were changed were they not?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
You bring up a couple good point a lot of us didn't know about this.WHY? Why was this not brought to the attention of this forum and others like it long before this.Why did he not lobby places like this for support. Why was there never a petition put on this forum. I have seen other petitions on here or links to them for issues of less importance then this.

You say you fished tournaments But you know now things you didn't know before.Again WHY? Was this closer never discussed with SAWT. Was there never any mention of closing off that area to help improve the fishery and stop the fish from being harassed during post or pre spawn. I'm beginning to wonder where and if this was ever discussed.
I posted a link in another thread on when meetings take place,,, it should be noted that it not only took awhile to find but Alberta Fisheries is refered to as Central Fisheries. I just can't remember the thread I posted it on.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I havent fished there in 25+ years but what I gather from the map, and the need for families to fish from that dock, why does it have to be that dock,, couldn't we build and donate a fishing dock for 600 meters east and out of the closure area? A dock for fishers not boaters,, am I seeing the regs to the map correctly? Would 600 meters east be in the closure area? If a SAWT fellow on board knows how this is done (putting a dock on the water legally), drop me a line.
For some reason I missed this post. But I think you got a good idea. Building a dock or pier just for fishing well east of the existing dock would not only make it so the dock could be put in the closed off area but it would also eliminate some of the problems that always arise when dock fishermen and boater come together. If there had been more information and discussion available at an earlier time IDEAS like this could have came out and made a big difference.
Congrates Gus hopefully your idea can still come to be.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Without pointing fingers or name calling I will try to be diplomatic.

The whole process of clubs/special interest groups is to achieve the goals of its membership.
With great respect I thank anyone who is involved especially the ones who volunteer to be on the board. Those positions are for only the truely dedicated and with extremely thick skins. The positions come with more dirty laundry than anyone should need to have to deal with.......but its part of the system we call democracy and the other option is not acceptable.
If a club has stalled or appears not to have a or many success stories then like a elected government party a fresh party needs to realign the masses. In no way am i critizing the present board of directors, but.....in no way am i critizing the people who suggest options or ask questions of a groups decision. These fish belong to all of us and with opinions from everyone we can hope to satisfy the democratic process.
Too assume others dont volunteer to this group and have no opinion is unfair...it could very well be they volunteer for other important special interest groups that you cant find the time for. It may be even a interest group that benifits you also.
I do have a issue with what appears to be alters or newly made forum members who post.....this doesnt add credibilty ...this smears your attempt to add benifit to the recipiant.
To ask questions is not a sure sign of NON appreciation and must be taken as a possible beginning to a new thought process. Only with questions and suggestions does anything get bigger and better.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
More fisherpeople now than years ago, more knowledge on how to catch walleye now than years ago. Once the need was identified things were changed were they not?
Are you telling me that all this was just discovered this past year you can not be serious ........lol
Old 11-04-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
The way I see it your wrong(JustKidding). Brian was working towards improving the closures on the lake. Brian also allowed tournments on the lake while it was open and managed to satisfy both his commitments, did he not?

The last 2 years the weather has been different (colder), likely delaying spawning and creating the need to extend the closures. Info comes from having tournments as well.

As to the last part about "suspecting the SAWT" I was being sarcastic, of course they will follow the laws and regs.

PS, sorry Brian if I overstepped my bounds

I'm definitely not saying that I'm right, as I don't know who Brian is and I've never been involved with WU or SAWT, so I can't speak to what his/the organization(s) motives are. I'm just trying to clarify what horsetrader was trying to say in a previous post. Which I think you're still missing...

You can still satisfy both commitments with it having the appearance of contradictory/conflicting agendas. I'm gonna try and lay this out again, but using actual quotes....

And let it be clear, I'm not attacking Brian or WU or SAWT, and am in favor of a longer closure if it is actually in the best interest for the lake. BUT I think horsetrader kind of brings up a good point with this all, and I think it's quite curious, and some clarification should be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
Walleye Unlimited has been working for 2-3 years on getting this closure on the west arm....FOR THE SAWT, WE ARE PLEASED TO HEAR THAT THE WEST ARM WILL BE CLOSED TILL JUNE 1ST.
Quote:
If you worked as president of walleye unlimited to have the west arm closed for so long. Then why as president of SAWT did you encourage people to fish that same area to the extent of even allowing the SAWT tournament to be held in that area. I believe that is a conflict of interest. And shows you did not deal in good faith or full hearted with respect to Walleye Unlimited.
Below is the heart of horsetraders arguement....

Quote:
And I bet it could have been closed earlier if SAWT had made it off limites for their tournaments it would have shown SRD that even fishing groups were in favor of the closer to help the fishery.

So to wrap up....
  1. Walleyes Unlimited has been pushing for a 'west arm' closure for 2-3 years now
  2. SAWT has been holding tournaments during the purposed closure while this "push" for the closure has been going on, allowing the tournament partipants to fish in purposed 'closed' area
  3. The same guy that is the president of Walleyes Unlimited, is the president of SAWT

Horsetrader brings up a good point I think, it's just curious that the guy at the head of an organization (WU) pushing for a closure of a specific part of a lake, because of the pressures put on the fish pre/during/post spawn, is the same guy that is at the head of another organization (SAWT) that allows huge amounts of anglers to target this spot during the purposed closure.

To quote the Global channel... Things that make you go "HUH...."

Last edited by MoFugger21; 11-04-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
As far as myself being the President of Walleye Unlimited and SAWT, please be advised that I have resigned from the Walleye Unlimited in September but the website has not been updated (as these are all volunteer positions).

FOR THE SAWT, WE ARE PLEASED TO HEAR THAT THE WEST ARM WILL BE CLOSED TILL JUNE 1ST.
Brian, the intent of my previous post was not to expose you. seems many posting on this thread knew who you were anyways? question though, if you're "the walleye guy" as being described here by your peers where have you been? i don't get you just showing up on the board with a random post stating the new closer info out of the blue. you obviously have a wealth of knowledge you could share with the board. i sincerely hope you stick around and do so.

another question to all. why not longer, or a complete closure? again I'll post some very popular alberta waters with such complete closures or longer spring closures. are the walleye in travers not quite ready for the full blanket treatment?

Pigeon Lake & tributaries (excluding Tide Creek) & outlet –
the portion of lake west of a line drawn from the northwesternmost tip of the point in 13-12-47-2-W5 due north to the point where the line intersects the shoreline of the lake in 13-47-2-W5, locally known as Zeiner Park and including Tide Creek.
CLOSED all year.

Sylvan Lake & tributaries –
the portion of lake southwest of a line drawn from the northeastern most tip of the landfill pier in Sylvan Lake Provincial Park located at NW 33-38-1-W5M due northwest to the point on the shoreline where the boundary between the town of Sylvan Lake and the Summer Village of Norglenwold meet the lake located at NE 32-38-1-W5M. Including all tributary streams.
April 1 to June 30 – CLOSED

Fawcett Lake & tributaries –
the portion north and east of a line drawn from the MD boat launch in SE12-73-26-W4 to the point of land in SE11-73-26-W4 including the Mink River, Fawcett (Howard) River and the areas locally known as the narrows and east basin
OPEN July 1 to Feb. 28 and CLOSED Mar. 1 to June 30.

Lesser Slave Lake
the portion west of a line drawn from Shaw Point to the point of land in 26-74-14-W5 known as Little Grassy Point, including Buffalo Bay and the Grouard Channel & their tributaries (see also East Prairie River, South Heart River and Traverse Creek).
CLOSED – Mar. 1 to June 15

Calling Lake & portions of tributaries & outlet during open seasons –
the portion northerly of a straight line drawn southwesterly from the point where the line intersects the eastern shore at the northern boundary of SE02-73-22-W4 to the point where the line intersects the western shore at the northern boundary of NE12-72-23-W4 & tributaries, including Rock Island River downstream of Sec. Rd. 813
CLOSED all year

Pinehurst Lake (65-10-W4)
the portion north of a line drawn from the easternmost point of land in NW19-65-09-W4 easterly to the westernmost point of land in NE19-65-09-W4 locally known as Snug Cove (Mud Bay) – CLOSED

Quote:
The last 2 years the weather has been different (colder), likely delaying spawning and creating the need to extend the closures.

you're absolutely correct. precisely why a later date (30 days, end of June) would be a real benefit to the fish.

Quote:
more knowledge on how to catch walleye now than years ago. Once the need was identified things were changed were they not?

really? what the heck does that mean. newly introduced species to the province or what? were not talking bass fishing in alberta here. i'm sorry, but that's one bizarre statement.

Dace
Old 11-04-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
another question to all. why not longer, or a complete closure? again I'll post some very popular alberta waters with such complete closures or longer spring closures. are the walleye in travers not quite ready for the full blanket treatment?
I've been throwing this question around in my head as well....

It seems strange to me to close one specific area of a lake for an extra 2-3 weeks. If you're gonna do it, why not make it so much simpler and make it in effect for the whole lake???
Old 11-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm definitely not saying that I'm right, as I don't know who Brian is and I've never been involved with WU or SAWT, so I can't speak to what his/the organization(s) motives are. I'm just trying to clarify what horsetrader was trying to say in a previous post. Which I think you're still missing...

You can still satisfy both commitments with it having the appearance of contradictory/conflicting agendas. I'm gonna try and lay this out again, but using actual quotes....

And let it be clear, I'm not attacking Brian or WU or SAWT, and am in favor of a longer closure if it is actually in the best interest for the lake. BUT I think horsetrader kind of brings up a good point with this all, and I think it's quite curious, and some clarification should be made.

Below is the heart of horsetraders arguement....

So to wrap up....
  1. Walleyes Unlimited has been pushing for a 'west arm' closure for 2-3 years now
  2. SAWT has been holding tournaments during the purposed closure while this "push" for the closure has been going on, allowing the tournament partipants to fish in purposed 'closed' area
  3. The same guy that is the president of Walleyes Unlimited, is the president of SAWT

Horsetrader brings up a good point I think, it's just curious that the guy at the head of an organization (WU) pushing for a closure of a specific part of a lake, because of the pressures put on the fish pre/during/post spawn, is the same guy that is at the head of another organization (SAWT) that allows huge amounts of anglers to target this spot during the purposed closure.

To quote the Global channel... "Things that make you go HUH...."

I appreciate the help in clarify some points. Sometimes it is hard for some people to see the point that is trying to be made not that they don't want to. Its just some times we see one sided myself included so it helps sometimes when someone else steps in and mediates. thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I've been throwing this question around in my head as well....

It seems strange to me to close one specific area of a lake for an extra 2-3 weeks. If you're gonna do it, why not make it so much simpler and make it in effect for the whole lake???

From what i gather is there seems to be a conflict of interests. The campground would lose revenue.
Now one must ask is the lost revenue greater than the possible rebuilding of a lake?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Are you telling me that all this was just discovered this past year you can not be serious ........lol
no horse, please reread my post.

Yes horse Im serious

Times are changing, just not fast enough for you.

What im saying is walleye are getting more popular and fishermen are getting better at catching them.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 11-05-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 AM

It appears that 2 weeks was deemed sufficient. Why close something when you dont have to?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:36 AM

Any one think that maybe if SAWT didnt fish the lake the last 2 years that just maybe the closure wouldnt be extended?

Something for you all to think about!

Sorry for short posts but have to go to work.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
no horse, please reread my post.

Yes horse Im serious

Times are changing, just not fast enough for you.

What im saying is walleye are getting more popular and fishermen are getting better at catching them.
I did read your post and thats what i was getting at all the change in the numbers of fishermen and the knowledge in catching fish has not happened over the last year. So no it was not changed as soon as it was identified.
its been some thing that has been known for years.

Quote:
It appears that 2 weeks was deemed sufficient. Why close something when you dont have to?
Most areas that are fish breeding ground are close completely or for a extended time as Dace has shown in his post ONE of the reasons being there are so many things that can affect the time line of breeding fish. Water temp.- Water levels, Oxygen levels, and even moon stages are a few. Knowing this how can you determine that every year it will always come together in the same 2 week period.......YOU CAN"T.

Quote:
Any one think that maybe if SAWT didnt fish the lake the last 2 years that just maybe the closure wouldnt be extended?

Don't know what this statement is to mean. I would think if SAWT did not fish the closed area it would show their support and their agreement with the fact it should be closed to help protect the fisheries. By fishing in the area it is showing their lac of concern for the fisheries.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
From what i gather is there seems to be a conflict of interests. The campground would lose revenue.
Now one must ask is the lost revenue greater than the possible rebuilding of a lake?
Ya, this was the only reason I could come with. I have no idea how busy that campground usually is from May 8-June 1 on a typical year, so I can't really comment on how much a full closure of the lake would affect the campground revenue.

On one hand, the campground is a business and must look after its best interests, which is making money. How much money is made from people who camp there during May8-June1 and fish?? I have no idea...

On the other hand, if the lake becomes a terrible fishery, then what's the campgrounds plan? It won't matter if the lake is closed an extra 2-3weeks cause the people that camp there in that time period in order to fish, will find a different lake and campground...

Always two sides to every debate I guess.

Quote:
Deemed sufficient by who? And obviously the west arm is not the only spawning grounds for walleye in that lake... From what others have said, it is a major one, but not the only one... SO, why the decision to close only the west arm? You've pointed out the fact the weather patterns have changed the past few years pushing back spawning... Clearly this can't affect just one part of the lake. What was the process used to determine that only the west arm needed an extra closure?

And what about the pike in all this? It seemed to me last winter that they are following the same pattern and were 2-3 weeks behind from their normal spawning routine. So why not a push to protect them as well? Is the walleye state in Travers just more desperate than the state of pike?

I'm just asking these questions because I have no idea, but have yet to be shown any data to support what is being discussed, and still have no idea the process used to determine all this. Which brings me to below....

Quote:

So are you saying that the process behind this closure is simply that SAWT pounded this part of the lake for the 3 years WU was pushing to get this closure, so SAWT could then say "look, we've been fishing this part of the lake, and we aren't catching any big fish anymore?? Poor us.." That sounds a little "fishy" to me.... Especially considering the whole WU/SAWT same president thing brought up before....

I would really like for you, huntfurfish, to expand on this comment and what exactly you mean behind it. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Quote:
Don't know what this statement is to mean. I would think if SAWT did not fish the closed area it would show their support and their agreement with the fact it should be closed to help protect the fisheries. By fishing in the area it is showing their lac of concern for the fisheries.
This makes so much more sense than what huntsfurfish is alluding to!

Instead of pounding it during the tournament, they very well could have a taken a pro-active approach by NOT fishing it, saying "look, we're very concerned about the state of this part of the lake, especially with the timing of this tournament. SO, to help WU's cause to push for an extended closure, we've decided to not let tournament anglers fish this part of the lake."

To me, that makes more of an impactful statement than anything. That's just me though.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 AM

Exclamation

Is there any proof that the west arm and river is a major spawing area on Travers. Has Terry Clayton Head bio. from Leth. confirmed this , would like to know.