Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Default slave

how are the fish biting on slave. I have been out to the narrows a few times very very slow. Looking to try different location.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM

Joussard was slow when I was there 2 weeks ago. Might have picked up since then though!!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 PM

that was the last time I was at the narrows. slow as well. seen lots of whites though. not many eyes. took one home all day......
Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 AM

from what i have seen and heard it has been a bad year all together. my theory is there is too much bait in the water. i have never seen so many fish plump full of minnows. not just a few but like 20-30 big shinners. i have been on the ice for 3 overnight trips so far and have saw hundreds of fish on the flasher. the only ones that are always interested in my offerings are the whites hitting my wire worm above my swivel. (i fish it 2 feet above my walleye/ling offering) hope its better for my last trip up to bring the big shack home.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Default Bard

What color of wire worm? I am tired of whites hitting my split shot so I am going to try that system at Slave also. BEL
Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 PM

black swivel and wire worm. the white maggots stick out good and they seem to key in on them.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Has anybody been out the last couple days? Usually head up third week of march and fish around Shaw's Point. Wondering how travel is on the ice as well. Feel free to send me a PM if you like.

Thanks
WC

Last edited by WildCats; 03-13-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Yup, bad all year everyone says. All weekend there was an 30-40 km/h EAST wind. Lot of huge hard drifts on the lake. Was clearing up Sunday. Ice is 36" and you need an extension. Fishing was very slow at widewater although we did get a couple keeper walleyes and quite a few burbs and some small pike.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Headed up on Friday, how's the snow conditions? Vehicle access or do i need to take the sled?

Thank you,
WC
Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Default last week

I was at Joussard last Wed to Fri. Very slow, we caught 6 fish between 3 of us. We saw lots on the camera and flasher but they were not very interested in biting and even those that did, bit very lightly. We lost about 15. Someone out there figured shallower water as did someone on this or another thread. Either way they were not very interested. You may need an extension, not sure about that as we were in rented shacks where you needed one. Snow conditions were good and once you got around to the 5o or so shacks you kind of had to pick your way around because of big drifts. If they got a lot of snow and or wind--be careful. Hope this helps. BEL
Old 03-21-2011, 06:57 PM

Out on the weekend and caught about 15 ling between 4 of us. No walleye and a couple jacks. We weren't geared up for whites, but saw some on the camera. Walleye were there but not hungry. Lots of bait size fish swimming around so I think they are full.
Ling were more aggressive than I ever would have expected. But I think they are starting to spawn judging by the weird action were were seeing.
As for snow its pretty good. Just drift accumulation around the shacks. That being said it is snowing again, so who knows.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:44 PM

Smile

Was fishing Assineau Saturday it was good. We caught 27 walleye and 4 Pike 11 burbut started to keep a accurate count as I'm seeing here people are saying the fishing slow.The type of minnows(Candle Lake) you use make a big diffrence on Slave Lake.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:22 PM

Default Candle Lake

I noticed last year at Slave how important these minnows were and we used them this year to no avail. BEL