Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Mine is corect for me and I'm sure yours is correct for you so why is it so hard to believe that 209's is correct for him?
It isn't, did I say it was?

Actually I said I assumed it was correct so therefore assumed the scope positioning was a result of poor critical eye relief. That is why I asked.

If indeed that scope has 3 3/4 non critical eye relief then I will say this. The positioning of that scope and the LOP are an anomaly. Does it matter? No it does not.

Now because you opened it up to what it has become I will say it isn't correct. If you need to place a scope with 3.75" of eye relief so that the objective bell approaches the comb of the stock common sense says the LOP is to long. Again, it doesn't matter until the scope can no longer be physically moved rearward. If you prefer to mount the thing backwards by all means. Under the gun? Go ahead.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-09-2010, 02:13 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
If indeed that scope has 3 3/4 non critical eye relief then I will say this. The positioning of that scope and the LOP are an anomaly. Does it matter? No it does not.
Then why bring it up?

Truthfully, I'd say the angle of the photo has more to do with how the scope appears in relation to the comb than the actual way it's mounted. From what I see, it's positioned pretty well identical to mine. It just sits different in the rings because of the longer LOP. At least that's how I see it.

Last edited by sheephunter; 12-09-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 PM

The scope position on the rifle in question is far different than mine,even though my scopes have similar eye relief.Then again,my LOP is 13-3/4",compared to his at 14-1/2", so it only seems natural that his scope could sit rearward by an extra 3/4".Moving a scope rearward by 3/4" does give it a very different appearance, and when you add in a different shooting postion,it's easy to have another 1/2" or so of difference.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
At least I was able to get a magnum with a stainless action...
Bolt's on the wrong side though.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
Bolt's on the wrong side though.
Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a cutting tourch and some Bondo
Old 12-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a cutting tourch and some Bondo
lol-Might not look quite as good though-lol
Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
Hey Just a quick derail sorry. I was wondering how you like the rapid Z 800 reticle? I ordered that scope in the 50mm but sent it back for a meopta. The scope was great I just wasn't a fan of how small the reticle was and I got nervous about how different zoom changed your balistics. But Im sure if you have it figured out it is a great scope. Do you have too leave your magnification at a certain power? I have been wondering how it would have performed in the field since I sent it back this is why I am asking you for your experience on the scope.
Thanks Justin
I think it is the best ballistic reticle on the market hands down. It is simple and very fast and can be adjusted to be dead on for every applicable cartridge.
the reticle is etched into the glass in the second plane of the scope. This means the subtension (distance between crosshairs) changes with changes in magnification. The scope is zero at 200 yards and no matter what the magnification is this zero always remains. Once the 200 yard zero is achieved a trip to the Zeiss website where you can input your load data into the ballistic calculator. Don't worry if you shoot factory ammo it is all listed in there. I shoot custom loads so I need my bullet BC and MV to enter in the fields. The calculator gives you a magnification for that load in your rifle that will put it on the money to 800 yards. You MUST shoot your rifle to confirm POI and if a little adjustment is needed you just chase the POI. If high turn the magnification up a little.
Once you spend some time with the system it is remarkable how fast and accurate it is. I got to play out to 700 yards with this gun and scope this fall and the 8" gong was dead every shot.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Then why bring it up?
If we only discussed things that actually mattered these forums would be empty.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-09-2010, 05:03 PM
sheephunter

Just to expand a bit on what 209 said, the reticle needs to be very fine, especially, the longer range crosshairs so you can pick a precise point of aim at long ranges. The other nice thing is that the reticle can be focused for your eye. Playing with the focus is critical to achieve a perfect reticle picture. I find many of the ballistic reticles very confusing as you literally have to count down the crosshairs to find the correct one but the rapid Z is graduated in actual yardage so there no need to count crosshairs. If the target is 600 yards, you use the 600 yards crosshair. Also, each crosshair represents a constant value so there is nothing to remember. Idiot proof is good for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I think it is the best ballistic reticle on the market hands down. It is simple and very fast and can be adjusted to be dead on for every applicable cartridge.
the reticle is etched into the glass in the second plane of the scope. This means the subtension (distance between crosshairs) changes with changes in magnification. The scope is zero at 200 yards and no matter what the magnification is this zero always remains. Once the 200 yard zero is achieved a trip to the Zeiss website where you can input your load data into the ballistic calculator. Don't worry if you shoot factory ammo it is all listed in there. I shoot custom loads so I need my bullet BC and MV to enter in the fields. The calculator gives you a magnification for that load in your rifle that will put it on the money to 800 yards. You MUST shoot your rifle to confirm POI and if a little adjustment is needed you just chase the POI. If high turn the magnification up a little.
Once you spend some time with the system it is remarkable how fast and accurate it is. I got to play out to 700 yards with this gun and scope this fall and the 8" gong was dead every shot.
Yea I did my research before I ordered it and I liked everything about it. Do you find the reticle to be a little small? That was the main thing I didnt like but I never mounted it on my rifle so maybe it would have been better then. Im glad it works great for you.
And I love shooting long range cant wait till Christmas to get some long stuff in to date farthest I have gone is 950. Incredible how accurate you can be with the equipment today.
All the best good shooting
Old 12-09-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Just to expand a bit on what 209 said, the reticle needs to be very fine, especially, the longer range crosshairs so you can pick a precise point of aim at long ranges. The other nice thing is that the reticle can be focused for your eye. Playing with the focus is critical to achieve a perfect reticle picture. I find many of the ballistic reticles very confusing as you literally have to count down the crosshairs to find the correct one but the rapid Z is graduated in actual yardage so there no need to count crosshairs. If the target is 600 yards, you use the 600 yards crosshair. Also, each crosshair represents a constant value so there is nothing to remember. Idiot proof is good for me.
Hey I didnt mean that it was too fine just that it was really condensed for me hard to explain have you looked through one? I thought the reticle would be full view stretched out so to speak but it was in the center of the scope only may sound stupid if you havent looked through it hard to explain. But I think it is a great scope thats why I got it, Just my eye didnt like it.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Hey I didnt mean that it was too fine just that it was really condensed for me hard to explain have you looked through one? I thought the reticle would be full view stretched out so to speak but it was in the center of the scope only may sound stupid if you havent looked through it hard to explain. But I think it is a great scope thats why I got it, Just my eye didnt like it.
LOL....Yup, I've looked through a couple. The graduated reticle works well because as distance increases, target size decreases, and the graduated reticle basically compensates for that. Like I say, it takes some adjusting to get it perfectly set for your eye but once it is, the graduated reticle makes sense and actually works to draw your eye to the target......something having all equal width crosshairs does not do.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Yea I did my research before I ordered it and I liked everything about it. Do you find the reticle to be a little small? That was the main thing I didnt like but I never mounted it on my rifle so maybe it would have been better then. Im glad it works great for you.
And I love shooting long range cant wait till Christmas to get some long stuff in to date farthest I have gone is 950. Incredible how accurate you can be with the equipment today.
All the best good shooting
For me I'd like the reticle to be even finer especially as the range lengthens. Once you use the system it becomes pretty clear that the designer Mickey Fowler did a good job.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Yea I bet it does I just panicked I think looked clustered to me at the time. But thats why I wanted to ask you about it see how it was cause I really liked the idea of it. O well maybe on my next gun Ill get it. Glad to hear it worked out for you.
Sorry for derailing the thread.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 PM

not to get into the arguement, but as for your rifle 209..

It looks like the scope is as far rearward as the rings/scope will allow, so indeed you are unique. The question is, from my guess, you must have had a bit of trouble with certain scopes and rifles (factory) over the years, ..??

I always found it amusing that there are so many different stature men with arm lengths from a stout Scotsman to a lengthy Kenyan, yet LOP and other options are rarely selections that can be made on a rifle off the shelf.