Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-12-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I don't have a hexagonal style hub shelter like the Otter Vortex Resort. I do plan on getting one this year to overnight camp by myself. What I have and use when I take my son out is an Eskimo 9416i. I've also camped myself in my Otter Vortex Lodge.

The typical 8'X8" shelters are pretty small even for solo camping. You can see videos on YT where guys do it, but it's really cramped if you have lots of toys (electronic's, etc.). The 8'X14" shelters like my 9416i or the Otter Vortex Monster Lodge work really well since you can use half for sleeping quarters and the other half like a normal 8'X8' Lodge for fishing. I feel like it's almost too much for one person, which is why I want to pick up a Vortex Resort to try this season. I think the hexagonal hub may the best for me and all the crap I bring along, whether for the day or overnight.

Since you're talking about bringing your wife, you'll have to decide what your sleeping on. Two single cots seem to work fine in the Resort, but a queen air mattress or whatever would be better in the Monster Lodge. If you're not sure what style you'd prefer and there aren't any to view set up in nearby shops, tape the bottom dimensions off on a garage floor or your yard and see what meet's with the boss's approval. Good luck, and don't forget a CO monitor!
Appreciate the feedback. We'd absolutely be doing cots and likely opposite ends and fish the middle through the night. Absolutely have CO monitor, but also use only a Buddy heater with built in CO shutoff.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Appreciate the feedback. We'd absolutely be doing cots and likely opposite ends and fish the middle through the night. Absolutely have CO monitor, but also use only a Buddy heater with built in CO shutoff.
I don't recall all the details offhand, but don't ever trust the built in shutoff on a Buddy Heater. You can Google it and read until your heart's content. I turn mine off at night. But that takes the level of sleeping bag required to a whole new level.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:19 PM

The sensor on the Buddy heaters is not a CO sensor, it's a low oxygen sensor.

Open both vents in the tent, and crack two windows for flow through ventilation, and use a CO detector.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
The sensor on the Buddy heaters is not a CO sensor, it's a low oxygen sensor.

Open both vents in the tent, and crack two windows for flow through ventilation, and use a CO detector.
Yup.....dont be that one that takes his/her last nap.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-18-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyJ View Post
What do you do about CO?

We stayed in the ice last year, and I had a horrible sleep because I kept thinking I wouldn't wake up with the big buddy on.

We had vents, but I was still worried.
It’s a valid concern, I tried to use a big buddy in my cargo trailer with two vents, the low oxygen sensor kept shutting it off

Last edited by Jims83cj5; 10-18-2021 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:24 PM

I use a 6x12 single axle cargo trailer. Insulated with 3/4 plywood on the sides, insulated roof and spray foamed floor, k trac on the walls with one bunk as a couch and a fold down bunk above that hooked to the tracking. A 4 kw planer diesel heater, two burner stove sites on the counter and a 600 watt solar panel set up with 4 agm batteries that run a 3000 watt inverter for the fridge and tv. Pull up the hole extensions and you can set up again in five minutes, electric auger so no fumes, I kinda like it. But sorry it’s not a tent

Last edited by Jims83cj5; 10-18-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
I use a 6x12 single axle cargo trailer. Insulated with 3/4 plywood on the sides, insulated roof and spray foamed floor, k trac on the walls with one bunk as a couch and a fold down bunk above that hooked to the tracking. A 4 kw planer diesel heater, two burner stove sites on the counter and a 600 watt solar panel set up with 4 agm batteries that run a 3000 watt inverter for the fridge and tv. Pull up the hole extensions and you can set up again in five minutes, electric auger so no fumes, I kinda like it. But sorry it’s not a tent
I have basically the exact same setup although we have a wood burning stove. Works great and beats any tent...Have done that too but is 1000X more effort.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:21 AM

Default Here’s my outfit

Not much to explain other than I sleep like a baby. Not much better than this. Made the sleigh for pulling all my stuff. Works great. Follows my sled like a lost puppy.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:23 AM

Default Forgot the kitchen

Satellite radio, stove and a bar. Now it’s complete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08918902-B004-480F-9E35-FD36E02A82F8.jpg (24.0 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg E67AFE06-FD0A-4825-98A5-FE2DE6F1F87A.jpg (10.7 KB, 247 views)
Old 10-24-2021, 08:44 PM

Interesting. I'd never looked that close at the Quickfish 6i...I just figured it was a FatFish 9416i with fewer features. Turns out it's two feet smaller in length and width. I presume you're camping solo in that? The square footage is essentially the same as my Otter Lodge Hub (like a FatFish 949i), and I find that too small even for solo camping. The 9416i is a mansion on the lake like Eskimo says...works really well using half for sleeping quarters and half for fishing. Still, I'm going to confirm that the Otter Resort Hub (sorta like the Outbreak 650XD) works with two cots on the ice and then sell my Otter Vortex Lodge and FatFish 9416i tents. My shop at the lake is overflowing with gear so I gotta pare down and make some room.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:40 AM

Default Flooring

I do fish solo in the above set up. It would be too close for comfort with two guys. Forgot to mention, I use foam flooring that I bought from Canadian tire. They are cheap, They look like puzzle pieces,snap together and work real well. Never had them pull apart. Plus they stow/pack real well in the sled without taking up room. They allow me to walk around the tent in crocks. Good insulation.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:08 AM

I agree the foam squares are key, unless you want to stand in ankle deep water.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I'd never looked that close at the Quickfish 6i...I just figured it was a FatFish 9416i with fewer features. Turns out it's two feet smaller in length and width. I presume you're camping solo in that? The square footage is essentially the same as my Otter Lodge Hub (like a FatFish 949i), and I find that too small even for solo camping. The 9416i is a mansion on the lake like Eskimo says...works really well using half for sleeping quarters and half for fishing. Still, I'm going to confirm that the Otter Resort Hub (sorta like the Outbreak 650XD) works with two cots on the ice and then sell my Otter Vortex Lodge and FatFish 9416i tents. My shop at the lake is overflowing with gear so I gotta pare down and make some room.
We have an Eskimo 650XD and it fits 2 cots with plenty of room for a stove and to fish, if that helps.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:53 PM
Banned

Default Serious About Ice Fishing!

I saw this on online a few years ago and was super impressed, that guy takes it seriously

IF1.jpg IF2.jpg IF3.jpg IF4.jpg
IF5.jpg IF6.jpg
IF7.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IF8.jpg (34.1 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by North40Rules; 10-25-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:59 PM

Yeah I'm sure it's gonna be fine. The 650XD is a really nice tent as well and only slightly smaller than the Resort. I may yet wind up with one since the Otters are such a fight to get in Western Canada.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:12 PM

I got this nice little Coleman butane stove for $22 on Amazon last week. Keep an eye on Today's Deals if you're a Prime member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65688920057__5F656E07-E665-4C9A-A038-C6DE2E014D76.jpg (82.0 KB, 118 views)
Old 10-25-2021, 08:00 PM

650xd here....plenty of room for 2 cots a play pen and an area for the little one. We did about 5 or 6 overnight trips last year....its a great setup. Foam floor and a big buddy and we were more than comfortable in a couple -30 nights. I don't have a full panoramic pic but you get the idea. During the day we move the cots into an L shape and use them to keep the rug rat contained lol. That may not work as well this winter.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2021, 08:20 PM

I'm really looking forward to getting a hex hub. The 9416i is a great tent, but it's overkill for one person. And the Lodge is just a bit too small for all the crap I tend to bring.

On a separate note, I was just at Canadian Tire to pick up some butane for the new stove and a new CO monitor. The Kidde CO monitors are 25% off this week. The foam flooring was also on sale for a good price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0718.jpg (103.0 KB, 150 views)
Old 10-25-2021, 09:23 PM

You'll love it. I had to have something I could set up by myself if needed (mom gets busy lol). I can have the tent up floor in and heat going in under 10 minutes alone. If it's a snowmobile day....I go set up then come back for mom and the little one.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I should not have opened this thread up….still bird hunting and whitetail just a few days away….some great set up you folks have….awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-26-2021, 10:28 AM

Good setups for sure but we are not hearing the whole story of the adventures. Tell us about getting caught in a 100km gale out in the open with the wife and kids. Not trying to be a smartxxx but this is the reality when you do this on regular basis. I have been doing it a long time and shelter in the bush is much more relaxing. There are going to be trips when everything works out perfect but then again..................... Going for a night or two is one thing. Going for a week is a different ball game.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Good setups for sure but we are not hearing the whole story of the adventures. Tell us about getting caught in a 100km gale out in the open with the wife and kids. Not trying to be a smartxxx but this is the reality when you do this on regular basis. I have been doing it a long time and shelter in the bush is much more relaxing. There are going to be trips when everything works out perfect but then again..................... Going for a night or two is one thing. Going for a week is a different ball game.
Point taken. You have to be sensible and prepared. Then again, no one ever caught a 10lb burbot in the middle of the night set up in the bush. And yes, even the odd trout can be caught in the middle of the night.

I think the gist of this thread is more about one or two night trips than about week long camps like during hunting season. Not that I'd be adverse to just packing the gear and winter camping in northern Manitoba on some good waters for a week.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
650xd here....plenty of room for 2 cots a play pen and an area for the little one. We did about 5 or 6 overnight trips last year....its a great setup. Foam floor and a big buddy and we were more than comfortable in a couple -30 nights. I don't have a full panoramic pic but you get the idea. During the day we move the cots into an L shape and use them to keep the rug rat contained lol. That may not work as well this winter.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
really appreciate your post and the pictures. We (very thankfully) don't have a kid, but my wife likes to bring a **** ton of stuff we don't need. This tent looks really good. Still think I'd spend the extra 200 bucks or whatever to get the Resort and an extra 20sq ft of fishing space, but this is definitely an option.....
Old 10-26-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
really appreciate your post and the pictures. We (very thankfully) don't have a kid, but my wife likes to bring a **** ton of stuff we don't need. This tent looks really good. Still think I'd spend the extra 200 bucks or whatever to get the Resort and an extra 20sq ft of fishing space, but this is definitely an option.....
Lol....with a toddler we also have a crap ton of stuff. The 650xd is 94sq ft....the resort is 101....so 7 square ft difference. I looked at both before opting for the eskimo....the full size door sealed the deal and honestly now that I've had that feature I would never want to go back to a triangle door.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Lol....with a toddler we also have a crap ton of stuff. The 650xd is 94sq ft....the resort is 101....so 7 square ft difference. I looked at both before opting for the eskimo....the full size door sealed the deal and honestly now that I've had that feature I would never want to go back to a triangle door.
I'm not sold on the door in the Outbreaks since it runs right to the ground and I worry it could freeze in. Still, Otter is starting to make similar hubs with full length doors...the Vortex Pros...which is a sign that the Outbreak full door design is popular. Otter just released the Vortex Pro Lodge this season, which has identical dimensions to the Outbreak 450XD. They'll probably release the Vortex Pro Resort next season, and it will likely be in the neighborhood of 110 sq. ft. I'd buy one of those. But I'm not waiting all year to get into a hex hub.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not sold on the door in the Outbreaks since it runs right to the ground and I worry it could freeze in. Still, Otter is starting to make similar hubs with full length doors...the Vortex Pros...which is a sign that the Outbreak full door design is popular. Otter just released the Vortex Pro Lodge this season, which has identical dimensions to the Outbreak 450XD. They'll probably release the Vortex Pro Resort next season, and it will likely be in the neighborhood of 110 sq. ft. I'd buy one of those. But I'm not waiting all year to get into a hex hub.
Never had a door issue at all....maybe if you spentv3 days in the hut without ever opening it lol....but we did a late winter weekend....+3 during the day -10 overnight and I didn't have to fight the door at 5am for a pee.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:26 PM

Pretty sure the Otter Resort is around 115sq ft. Eskimo also has a similar one that's around 110. That extra square footage seems really interesting but I'd need to stand inside them and compare. Hoping Cabela's does that at some point...
Old 10-26-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure the Otter Resort is around 115sq ft. Eskimo also has a similar one that's around 110. That extra square footage seems really interesting but I'd need to stand inside them and compare. Hoping Cabela's does that at some point...
The monster lodge is 112....its a double not a single hub.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrif View Post
I do fish solo in the above set up. It would be too close for comfort with two guys. Forgot to mention, I use foam flooring that I bought from Canadian tire. They are cheap, They look like puzzle pieces,snap together and work real well. Never had them pull apart. Plus they stow/pack real well in the sled without taking up room. They allow me to walk around the tent in crocks. Good insulation.
Nice set up, I have a 6it (just the top is insulated but should be the same size) and have done an overnighter with two people in it. I find a standard sized cot will just squeeze in the very ends width ways and then there is fishable room in the middle between cots. My one buddy has an oversized cot and had to angle the corner of the cot outside with the door half opened but still made it work. Not ideal and there are better options out there for sure but it can be done .
Old 10-27-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The monster lodge is 112....its a double not a single hub.
Yes - that's the one. Seems worth the extra couple hundred bucks. Eskimo has a similar one that's 114 or 115sq ft. That seems like a really good way to go. Going to see what's on sale at Boxing Day and hopefully find a deal...