Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 10:22 AM

Unhappy guys using positions to gain access :(

Hi folks..

I was wondering if anyone has run into anyone using their position as a wildlife officer or ACA guy to gain access onto private lands. A friend ran into a farmer who told him about a guy who is a "Wildlife officer" using his land to hunt, and no one was allowed on until he was finished. This guy was also using the company truck. Our friend has seen this truck all over the place while out hunting.

This farmer was convinced that this guy was a wildlife officer and felt compelled to let him on.

This guy is an Alberta Conservation Association employee.

Either way our friend moved on to other places but geez...

Is this allowed??

I know nothing about this, never ran into it because we hunt public lands but wow...

Anyone else ever run into this?? We never have yet.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:42 AM

As far as getting permission, that is a personal choice the landowner makes

If the guy is using the resources of his place of work for personal gain, that is something between him and his employer to decide if its right or wrong
Old 10-17-2021, 10:53 AM

Its just plain wrong!
No "government official", or even the police, have the right to stomp on to private property and start making "rules".
Tell him to.....get lost...... or come with a warrant; then report him.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:32 AM

The landowner is a grown man making a decision. If he didnt want the guy on his land, he should have said so.

I let a game warden hunt my land. He asked, I said yes. Didnt feel compelled. Guy just wanted to hunt. He asked. Nothing wrong with that.

Like I said, if he uses the resources of his job (truck, time etc) to hunt with, thats an issue he needs to discuss with his employer.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 10-17-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Its just plain wrong!
No "government official", or even the police, have the right to stomp on to private property and start making "rules".
Tell him to.....get lost...... or come with a warrant; then report him.
I didn't read any of what you are saying in the OP's post.
Did he "stomp" on demanding access, utter threats or fabricate the law or otherwise do anything illegal?
Old 10-17-2021, 12:16 PM

Just to clarify, from what I understand, that farmer wasn't intimidated, they just thought it was like, the right thing to do. This farmer (a lady) figured he had credentials and she should allow him on because he had these credentials and she thought he was an official of some kind and really comes off as one.

I told our friend to just move on somewhere else and he did.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:36 PM

Default Permission

If the guy bullied his way on or made demands that caused the landowner to feel obligated to grant access then there should be an issue. If the guy used his position and convinced the landowner to grant exclusive access and the land owner felt obligated to do that there is an issue.

I used to hunt private land where the land owners refused to allow multiple people to hunt. Some where first come first serve. Other wanted a call in advance so they could control who was on their land at what time. And few would only let me and people who came with me on.

Unless your buddy has an specific allegation to make ( intimidation / coercion / using work time or vehicle ) it sounds like he needs to find other places to hunt.

If he wants so badly to be offended he should try and get permission where some of the outfitters have acquired exclusive access. That is likely a more common ( and equally offensive and more illegal ) occurrence.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
If the guy bullied his way on or made demands that caused the landowner to feel obligated to grant access then there should be an issue. If the guy used his position and convinced the landowner to grant exclusive access and the land owner felt obligated to do that there is an issue.

I used to hunt private land where the land owners refused to allow multiple people to hunt. Some where first come first serve. Other wanted a call in advance so they could control who was on their land at what time. And few would only let me and people who came with me on.

Unless your buddy has an specific allegation to make ( intimidation / coercion / using work time or vehicle ) it sounds like he needs to find other places to hunt.

If he wants so badly to be offended he should try and get permission where some of the outfitters have acquired exclusive access. That is likely a more common ( and equally offensive and more illegal ) occurrence.
I hear yah Ebrand...and the buddy did move off. He's a new hunter and I told him that he'll run into all kinds of situations as he goes hunting down the road. We sent him off to a spot of ours on Crown by Rocky Mtn Hse. where the hubs built a treestand. He will like that better...he's just a young fella.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Hi folks..

I was wondering if anyone has run into anyone using their position as a wildlife officer or ACA guy to gain access onto private lands. A friend ran into a farmer who told him about a guy who is a "Wildlife officer" using his land to hunt, and no one was allowed on until he was finished. This guy was also using the company truck. Our friend has seen this truck all over the place while out hunting.

This farmer was convinced that this guy was a wildlife officer and felt compelled to let him on.

Is this allowed??

I know nothing about this, never ran into it because we hunt public lands but wow...

There's 2 parts to this.

First off I'd be cautious based off of what a "friend" said. Things have a tendency to get a little twisted due to emotions/anger. I'd be interested to see if this landowner was "compelled" as your said and HOW they were "compelled" to let someone hunt. Sounds like your friend may have an issue with wildlife agency employees hunting private land?

I have had landowners offer to let me hunt property they don't allow anyone else to. OR get me in their schedule/hold a spot for me to go whenever I want. Why? I don't know it's their land their decision who hunts it and it's their way of showing appreciation for the job I do? I have also run into landowners who, if they allow someone to hunt prefer someone they deem amore responsible than the average joe blow off the street who got off shift from the local "stop n rob". Generally people believe you would get that with game wardens, first responders, military etc..

Second issue, if they can use their company equipment during rec time? That is a company policy. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. Every year I see dozens of company marked vehicles and people in uniforms clearly not on company time engaged in personal recreation etc.. My agency back in the day used to encourage us to hunt while at work. If we saw a critter and had the tag in our pocket go for it. Times have changed for us and now that is not allowed, but that is only 1 agency.

I guess the 3rd thing is, if this IS an issue, why are you asking as how does it directly affect you? Why isn't your friend or bringing it up with the employer of whoever the hunter works for?
Old 10-17-2021, 04:03 PM

Sigh...

All I asked is if someone has ever experienced this before. Not a flame war guys. If you have not, leave it be.

All I wanted to know was if anyone else experienced this, that's all. I just relayed what happened. I wasn't there, I dont know who the guy or gal was that is an ACA employee. Just relaying something that happened.

Geezuz Christ guys...back off a bit huh?
Old 10-17-2021, 04:17 PM

Default Its not hard

Quote:
The landowner is a grown man making a decision. If he didn't want the guy on his land, he should have said so.
amen x2 agreed
Old 10-17-2021, 05:14 PM

To answer your question: no, that very specific thing has not happened to me before.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Sigh...

just relayed what happened. I wasn't there,
It’s your junk
Old 10-17-2021, 07:16 PM

Yes....
Old 10-17-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Hi folks..

Is this allowed??

Maybe he was actually "working" when your friend saw the truck in the area?

If he wasn't "actually working "(ie.driving a company truck)...that issue should to be taken to his supervisor.

In any event, the landowner can either allow/deny access as he/she wishes...regardless of the person's occupation. Up to them...

Old 10-17-2021, 08:27 PM

What if he is a problem wildlife officer? "Hunting" beavers or calling coyotes in the company truck. Could be a bad case of the assumptions.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:00 AM

The landowner can allow who he pleases to hunt his land, and he can deny who he pleases as well. Most of the landowners that I know , would never let anyone intimidate them into granting permission, but I doubt that they would mind if they gave an officer permission, and he used his work truck, having a F&W truck on the property may deter potential trespassing or poaching. As to an officer using the work truck while off duty, that is between him and his employer, but being that the is a government employee, the taxpayers should not be providing him with a vehicle and fuel for his personal hunting. As to just seeing a F&W vehicle on private property, how would a person know if he is on duty, or on his own time, he might be on the job.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:06 AM

Many people (myself included) have an agreement with their employer where personal use of their company vehicle is part of their compensation package and a taxable benefit. I doubt SRD would permit that sort of arrangement but the ACA likely does.

The landowner doesn't have to let anyone on his/her property and should have reported the person if he/she felt strong armed into granting access. If they just made and assumption and didn't look into it, there's nothing to complain about.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-18-2021, 08:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Assumptions are flying all over the place here….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-18-2021, 08:58 AM

I don’t think I would be too concerned about the situation myself
Old 10-18-2021, 09:11 AM

Not to many farmer that I know of in my area that would be intimidated that easy about someone coming on their land if they didn’t want it.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:07 AM

Alberta Wildlife officers do not work for ACA. If it was an ACA employee with an ACA truck it’s not government. ACA has very liberal policies regarding company vehicle use. Crazy but true.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:51 AM

Default Two sides to every story

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Yes this is true but it is the internet .
Old 10-18-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

With all due respect 58...

Maybe this "whoever" guy with a marked vehicle was "may" have been doing some work within the general area.

Hence the "physical presence".

Guess most will never know for sure with the original information provided.

As to the landowner stance, I already commented my opinion on that...

Have a great night!...
Old 10-18-2021, 07:34 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
With all due respect 58...

Maybe this "whoever" guy with a marked vehicle was "may" have been doing some work within the general area.

Hence the "physical presence".

Guess most will never know for sure with the original information provided.

As to the landowner stance, I already commented my opinion on that...

Have a great night!...
Copy that....now back to the hockey games...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...