Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2021, 02:37 PM

Default Top Lake Trout Lures

This is a question I get asked lots on what my favourite lake trout lures so I decided to go out and fish all my favourites and share them with you. I'm sure my order is different than your's but I would be curious on what your top lures for jigging lake trout are as everyones different. Always fun seeing the different reactions on the active target as this gives you lots of information on how to entice a bite or which presentation to change to

Thanks for chiming in and the support as always!

https://youtu.be/GdfKbchtv_Q
Old 07-14-2021, 03:57 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Good info Matt…I believe your top three are most people’s top three too as you simply can’t go wrong with them….I believe I heard Kim do a drive by asking you to save some fish for us average anglers…haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-14-2021, 08:07 PM

Some other options ...

D.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:04 PM

Always had good luck with a Len Thompson dimpled with the Sunset pattern. At least on Flathead Lake lakers.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Some other options ...

D.

You have a sickness....not sure what it I say but I know it’s contagious

I got this huge tackle box I call the tickle trunk....from there I break it down to the species I am going after and the available space in the boat.....need a bigger kayak

Old 07-17-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Good info Matt…I believe your top three are most people’s top three too as you simply can’t go wrong with them….I believe I heard Kim do a drive by asking you to save some fish for us average anglers…haha
Haha yep Kim mighta made a guest appearance and so did Brian. Not to often do we all get together to share a spot like that but fun as had by all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Always had good luck with a Len Thompson dimpled with the Sunset pattern. At least on Flathead Lake lakers.
Also a wicked spoon combination for those hungry lakers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Some other options ...

D.
That looks like some trolling candy from the north!
Old 07-17-2021, 06:48 PM

Loved the video, gonna try the lipless crank here in central BC, never tried jigging with it open water. For trolling T50 and T60 flatfish, 4.5” apex slow trolls and large silver/blue or silver/green/chartreuse spoons are my favourites off the downrigger
Old 07-20-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
Loved the video, gonna try the lipless crank here in central BC, never tried jigging with it open water. For trolling T50 and T60 flatfish, 4.5” apex slow trolls and large silver/blue or silver/green/chartreuse spoons are my favourites off the downrigger
They have slowly grown on me over the last couple seasons. Still not my go to but I don't question it to throw one down anymore its produced some nice fish form time to time.

I see lots of guys here posting some trolling lures maybe I will have to make a trolling video one day in the future the same way!
Old 07-20-2021, 11:06 AM

Cool video.

My go to laker lures are probably much like everyone else's.

10" non-jointed Believers by drifter tackle company.

Bondi baits for trolling and jigging. Bigger the better.

Flat fish for trolling.

The largest Eppinger spoons I can find to troll. First choices are five of diamonds, red devil and fire tiger.

I will also troll deep running Rapalas.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-22-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Cool video.

My go to laker lures are probably much like everyone else's.

10" non-jointed Believers by drifter tackle company.

Bondi baits for trolling and jigging. Bigger the better.

Flat fish for trolling.

The largest Eppinger spoons I can find to troll. First choices are five of diamonds, red devil and fire tiger.

I will also troll deep running Rapalas.
Lot's of trollers on here I see from lure choices. Yes I like so spend some time jigging bondy's from time to time. But probably not as often as I should!
Old 07-22-2021, 05:57 PM

I see Board Walk Tackle and Bait in Cold Lake sells a cut plug lure that you open up and you place some bait inside like a minnow .then you close it up and you can troll all day with it and don't need to replace the bait after you land a laker .

Would like to here some feed back on that hook .
Old 07-22-2021, 07:47 PM

For Trolling .....

1) Five of Diamonds Len Thompson, or William Wobbler in Silver (with or without flasher)

2) Flat Fish or Quick Fish (Various Colors) no flasher or dodger

3) Deep Diving Crankbait (tail dancer or something with a wide wobble at lower speeds) no dodger or flasher

4) Coyote Spoon UV light, or William Wobbler (a very light weight spoon) with or without cowbells/ford fenders

5) A cut plug herring with bonnet - with or without cowbell or ford fender

For Jigging ....

1) Buzz Bomb

2) White tube jig 2 oz with stinger

3) Polar Bear jig

4) Rattling Rap (big and heavy)

5) Bullet head rubber tail jig

I have also successfully used Lyman Lures, Larger Musky Spinners, Hoochies, etc... but these are usually when I'm targeting other species.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:29 PM

I think if I had to keep it to two types and two types only for lakers it would be TC Moto tube jigs for jigging and the Hot Spot Apex trolling lures.

But then again I don’t have to thank the fishing gods

I always have a variety on board or with me but 9 times outa 10 the above work just gotta find the right Colour and presentation....oh and no sense fishing where there are no marks...probably the biggest reason people strike out or have a hard time getting into any numbers.....study the lake map with regards to structure, make a plan, get over To these areas and cruise around with your electronics on...mark’em...drop to them and see if they are active if not move onto another area...sometimes it’s only a short distance and the bite is on!!!!

Old 07-23-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I think if I had to keep it to two types and two types only for lakers it would be TC Moto tube jigs for jigging and the Hot Spot Apex trolling lures.

But then again I don’t have to thank the fishing gods

I always have a variety on board or with me but 9 times outa 10 the above work just gotta find the right Colour and presentation....oh and no sense fishing where there are no marks...probably the biggest reason people strike out or have a hard time getting into any numbers.....study the lake map with regards to structure, make a plan, get over To these areas and cruise around with your electronics on...mark’em...drop to them and see if they are active if not move onto another area...sometimes it’s only a short distance and the bite is on!!!!
I have used Apex lures trolling Kokanees and the bigger ones for Rainbows .... have not had too much luck using them at lower speeds for Lakers .... will need to revisit that .... maybe the action is enough at low speeds to get them to bite ...

Do you run them behind cow bells or spinners? a small dodger? how do you set them up? (if you don't mind sharing intel)
Old 07-23-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have used Apex lures trolling Kokanees and the bigger ones for Rainbows .... have not had too much luck using them at lower speeds for Lakers .... will need to revisit that .... maybe the action is enough at low speeds to get them to bite ...

Do you run them behind cow bells or spinners? a small dodger? how do you set them up? (if you don't mind sharing intel)

What I do is run a pink lady and directly off that the willow leaf and directly off that I attach the apex trolling lure which runs from 3’ to 4’ behind.
In the boat we run two different size pink lady’s to cover down to 60’ on the larger one and 40’ on the smaller one.
The apex lures on the box will tell you ideal trolling speeds but what I do is try to keep my boat at 2mph in which that changes slightly but prior to dropping any apex lure down I watch the action and when I am happy with what is see I drop it down and
Take note of the speed….mind you this changes as I zig zag over bait balls but seems to be enough action for us to dial in the trout and what they want.
For the most part over the years the brown trout, rainbow trout or watermelon colours have been what the lakers want in general but I got others to toss into the mix if needed.
Size I use is usually 3” to 5.5”….

We have caught in 150 fow as I believe the flash of the willow leaf draws them up and they pick off the fluttering apex behind….

We also run initially two types of colours and actions….what I mean by actions is the larger diameter ones move less erratic then the narrow diameter ones and when one is producing more than the other we make the change be it the colour or action….sometimes the buggers are finicky.

Hope this helps

Tight lines!

Old 07-23-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
What I do is run a pink lady and directly off that the willow leaf and directly off that I attach the apex trolling lure which runs from 3’ to 4’ behind.
In the boat we run two different size pink lady’s to cover down to 60’ on the larger one and 40’ on the smaller one.
The apex lures on the box will tell you ideal trolling speeds but what I do is try to keep my boat at 2mph in which that changes slightly but prior to dropping any apex lure down I watch the action and when I am happy with what is see I drop it down and
Take note of the speed….mind you this changes as I zig zag over bait balls but seems to be enough action for us to dial in the trout and what they want.
For the most part over the years the brown trout, rainbow trout or watermelon colours have been what the lakers want in general but I got others to toss into the mix if needed.
Size I use is usually 3” to 5.5”….

We have caught in 150 fow as I believe the flash of the willow leaf draws them up and they pick off the fluttering apex behind….

We also run initially two types of colours and actions….what I mean by actions is the larger diameter ones move less erratic then the narrow diameter ones and when one is producing more than the other we make the change be it the colour or action….sometimes the buggers are finicky.

Hope this helps

Tight lines!

https://www.hotspotlures.com/tips.php

A good read

Old 07-23-2021, 08:13 PM

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1594154416

No love for the Gibs FST? Trolls like a dream compared to T60 or other deep lip options. 2oz banana or more with 4' flouro leader and a slow speed is erratic as it comes.

B.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1594154416

No love for the Gibs FST? Trolls like a dream compared to T60 or other deep lip options. 2oz banana or more with 4' flouro leader and a slow speed is erratic as it comes.

B.
I have become a fan in the last few years. On the right day it will out catch many other options IMO.
Also really like the gold and silver Williams Wablers for our lake although I'm sure they may not work as well in other locations.