Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 PM

Default Install transducer on jon boat for river

I am wondering what is the best way to install my transducer on my jon boat.

It shows for best results to run it at least half way below the hull. I see that not working too well as I frequently run the boat out of water

How much accuracy/performance will I loose if I mount it flush or just above the bottom of the hull.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:40 PM

What model did you end up going with?

The best way that pops into my head right away is to use a thru hull transducer. You might be able to send your new transducer in and have it swapped for a thru hull model(or might be able to just goop it in like some people do in their kayaks, not sure how that works in an aluminum bottom boat though).

If you mount it flush I think you will get interference. You could mount a mounting board on the boat first and then try it flush to see if it works.

Edit: Looks like if you are going to use a thru hull model it needs to be designed to shoot thru aluminum. Would have to phone your manufacturer and see if they have one that would work with your unit. Vexilar has one that works with many fish finders but will cost you $150, called an alumaducer.

Last edited by RavYak; 08-21-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:15 PM

Got to the sale late only had this model left

Lowrance ELITE 5 HDI SONAR GPS COMBO

Looks ok there is a river map coming out soon as well, gonna take a while to learn vs the bird but looks like a good unit
Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 PM

I would probably put a mounting block on then play around and see if you can get it to work good enough with it even with bottom. It might not be an issue at slower speeds.

You can try imitating installing it as a thru hull transducer by putting it in a plastic bag with water in it then resting it inside the hull. You want it roughly 2/3 back and in center of boat. You will lose some ability this way but it might be good enough for the river since you will only be using it for depth in shallow water.