Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2014, 07:53 AM

Default Lake Pend Oreille, Idaho

Anyone ever fished this lake? Im heading down there Aug 26th for 1 week, staying on the lake near Sagle. Would really like to catch a SM bass, Been reading up on it a bit. Never caught a Bass before, only Gerard Rainbow and kokanee in Kootenay Lake.
Any tips on lures/flys/baits for bass fishing?
Might try for some whitefish, cutty's and Rainbows of which I already have tackle for. Would like to buy a new rod or 2 while down there any suggestions on kit and stores?
Any experiences, thing to do in the area, are most welcome too.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 AM

We drove over the bridge of that lake going to SIlverwood...Amazed at how huge that Lake is....Sorry, I cannot help ya out with the fishing
Old 08-14-2014, 09:44 AM

I have never fished for bass either but watch the world fishing network and they seem to be a popular species.

You might have the best luck finding a local fishing fourm for the area and see if you can't get some one who might give specifics for the area

It seems they throw crank baits or gulp worms rigged wacky, there most popular fishing spots seems to be near docks or structure along the shore.

Sounds like a interesting trip be sure to take pictures and let us know how you make out.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 AM

I've done my fair share of bass fishing over the years. I usually always have some sort of spinner and a few tube baits. I've never fished this lake, but a FB friend of mine has been hammering the smallies recently. Check in with the local fishing store. They should be able to get you set up. I will check with me friend and see what he's been using.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.0 KB, 99 views)
Old 08-14-2014, 11:23 AM

Default Bass Fishing

I was there a month ago and I suggest you go out for a 1/2 day with Chad from Go Fish Charters which will cost you about $125 a person and he will get you into bass, walleye, perch and trout. No learning curve and success. Bring your social security number to get a license which is $12 for the day. Good luck!

http://www.gofishcharters.org/
Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Anyone ever fished this lake? Im heading down there Aug 26th for 1 week, staying on the lake near Sagle. Would really like to catch a SM bass, Been reading up on it a bit. Never caught a Bass before, only Gerard Rainbow and kokanee in Kootenay Lake.
Any tips on lures/flys/baits for bass fishing?
Might try for some whitefish, cutty's and Rainbows of which I already have tackle for. Would like to buy a new rod or 2 while down there any suggestions on kit and stores?
Any experiences, thing to do in the area, are most welcome too.
Loads of perch from when I was a kid.
Just used maggots.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:14 PM

Its awesome fishing down there, licenses only for salmon, sturgeon and steehead
Old 08-14-2014, 12:26 PM

I fished it this spring, wanted a change from my usual trip to Kootenay. Although I targeted Gerrards, I did take some time out to play with small mouth bass. even caught a few big mouth bass. Look for anything that imitates a crayfish and you cant go wrong. any of the 2 fishing stores will show you exactly what to use, very good that way.

I was working from a boat around the islands on the lake and fishing shore back to boat, it was a blast. Will have to say I had as much success where I had my boat moared fishing the docks. key is slow retrieve, tend to like slower.......... Caught some decent lakers in that lake as well deep, smallest was 12lbs.

The gerrards are just like Kootenay, B I G lol. the cool thing about the lake is you can literally fish as many rods as you want out of a boat ONLY , no limit on rods, but can cause havoc with fish on or fishing poor weather LOL! For the guy that does not have the fish on, is lots of work clearning the gear Pretty tough fishing for gerrards this time of year, but the fall fishing is stellar! Very different lake fishing gerrards than Kootenay when it comes to tactics
Old 08-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouserminnow View Post
I was there a month ago and I suggest you go out for a 1/2 day with Chad from Go Fish Charters which will cost you about $125 a person and he will get you into bass, walleye, perch and trout. No learning curve and success. Bring your social security number to get a license which is $12 for the day. Good luck!

http://www.gofishcharters.org/
Thanks, I was asked about getting a guide for a day. A few people in the group of 15 have never fished before and don't have any gear, this would get them "hooked" for sure, also good learning for the experienced guys.
Will look into booking it ASAP.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:46 AM

Just got back from two weeks at this lake. Didn't do any fishing. Just a lot of boating. Almost every day we saw the fellow from the angler survey at the boat launch. talked to him a bunch. He said the smallie fishing had been good but most other species had been slower. Did see people catching fish though. Did a bit of snorkeling and always saw quite a few fish, gotta love clear warm deep lakes. Enjoy the lake it's an awesome place, just watch for storms if you are boating.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 AM

The largest smallmouth will move deep and suspend chasing schools of minnows. Don't be surprised if you see bass jumping over a 90' shoal while jigging for lakers, switch to a popper and you'll be in business!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:00 PM

Not sure where Sagle is. We caught a few smallies by the lagoon at Farragut a couple years ago. Rented a pontoon boat and tried for rainbow. They had a bounty on them that year. $15 a fish! Only bite soup on the bows but the smallies were eager fishing spinners and jigs in the shallower bays.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:51 AM

I am down here now and surprised how many Alberta boats are down here. I bet 30% of the boat trailers have Alberta plates
Old 08-19-2014, 12:26 PM

Just so you know, this lake is one of the deepest in North America. I believe the us tested submarines in Bayview which is a wonderfull town to visit. It's located 5 miles east of Athol. It's worth the drive... Lots of cool stuff to see.

Also, the a headquarters for Buck knives is about an hour from the in Post Falls AND it's right across the interstate from Cabelas too! There are tours if the very impressive factory. You can buy knives there for about 25% of CND retail.

Have a great time!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:52 AM

Yup the lake is very deep. I think the lake map I bought shows over 1100 feet!
I visited the large cabelas and the buck knife factory also. Bought a few knives for gifts and myself, even a spring assisted opening pocket knife... Need to figure out if that knife is legal to carry here in Ab. Very slick design.