Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2014, 02:29 PM

Default Fishing lodge tips.

What would be an appropriate tip for a guide, cook, camp attendant? . Just curious.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:38 PM

Depends I guess 3 days at a lodge in bc we had 3 different guides 1 guy was awesome, knowledgable, and showed me lots. Gave him $100 the other 2 were idiots one smoked pot, which I'm not against on a day off or even as a guest but not very professional and he just burned out and didn't put in any effort, he got 0. The last guy couldn't be bothered to to move around or try different set how when things wernt working he also got 0.

6 of us go up a lodge in northern sask. He will guide you but he's also cool just letting you hop in the boats and fish for yourself. Him and his wife do clean fish and do all the cooking and are very pleasent. For 7 days I left them $150 but some guys didn't leave anything. Their choice and frankly the cost of the trip can be a lot to some people and that's their budget.

I guess what I'm getting at is depending on circumstances, at the end of the day did you get what you wanted out of the experience..... Keeping in mind catching fish is not a guarantee.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 PM

I no longer guide full time and only do it a couple weeks every summer at busy times out at a fly in lodge in Ontario. But I have been tipped anywhere from $40-$300 for a day of fishing. Just remember that its not always about the size or number of fish that have been caught. Some days can be really really tough out there.