Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-12-2002, 10:26 PM
POL Licences

Default POL Licences

Heard a good rumor and want to find people's thoughts.
Let's say there are only 2 people in the house. The man
owns the guns, he hunts, etc and is the only person who has the POL licence. His wife doesn't have a POL.
The guns are always locked up properly. Both have
access to the guns because if living on the farm you
have the potential of coyotes,wolves during calving
season, etc. Now the husband leaves the residence for
a day or more my rumor is to do with the fact that
because my wife has access to the guns but has no
POL licence she is in violation of the gun law the way it
is now. I have the potential of loosing my guns because
I have the only POL licence and I am not in control of the
guns. Any comments or am I reading more into this than
there is? Friggin gun laws!!
Old 02-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Pappy in AB

I would say that if she has the access to the keys/combination that unlocks your safe (or whatever) then the guns aren't secure; this is a potential gun storage infraction (on your part)? If she was to handle/use the guns in any way then she could be in violation as an unlicensed person. Maybe I've got it wrong? I don't hide the keys from my (unlicensed) wife either.............are we guilty of something? Don't look over your shoulder............someone must be watching................
Old 02-15-2002, 11:01 PM
POL LICENCE

Default POL LICENCE

JUST ANOTHER QUESTION TO PONDER-WHEN THE POL
LICENCE TERM RUNS OUT WHICH IS 5 YEARS, ARE YOU
STILL ELLIGIBLE TO RENEW IT OR BECAUSE NOW THERE
IS NO POL LICENCE GIVEN OUT DO YOU HAVE TO SPEND
THE $50-$80 TO TAKE THE GUN COURSE AND RECEIVE
THE POSSESSION AND ACQUISTION LICENCE/FAC?
Old 02-18-2002, 12:19 PM
winged1

Default pol

Pappy's right on this one. You as registered owner have responsibility to keep your arms secure. Should you die, the arms will be confiscated if discovered by authority, unless your partner has appropriate registration. I suspect that at the end of the 5 year term, a continuation fee will be required for possesion only ( grandfathered), but then again, new legislation could always come along to futher the quest for firearm control.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:35 PM
Brady

Default Re: pol

Hey 257
The best thing you can do in this situation, is cover your ASS.
What I did was over a period of time I brought the guns out and let my wife handle them and shoot them, and eventually she had enough knowledge to go and challenge the tests and now she has her restricted PAL. The way we looked at it was if the guns are gonna be in the house she may as well learn about them. As it turned out she is quite excited to purchase her own firearms (long and short). The other thing that has happened is that my 4 year old girl has toy guns and I am already showing her some of the ethics of responsible gun handling. Some people might not agree with what I have done but if we want our sport to live on we will have to get as many new people (young and old alike) into the sport, and besides I never really give a rats arse what people think of me any way.

Brady
Old 02-18-2002, 10:12 PM
POL

Default POL

Yes, it's best if everyone in the household is licensed.
Hate to see $$$$ worth of guns go toast.Seems though
every time you turn around you gotta pay for this and
pay for that. It's getting to the point that just to enjoy
the outdoors is getting more expensive.Reading in the
fish mags that they're even looking at charging the seniors a small annual fishing licence fee.No more
freebees.Hope the cost of recreation doesn't deter the
kids from enjoying the outdoors!!
Old 02-21-2002, 01:45 PM
gun registration

Default gun registration

Hey Brady, some people may argue that 4 yrs old is too young, but we teach our kids to look both ways when crossing the road and we teach them about all kinds of different dangers in this world. So.. educating your child is a bad thing? I think not. Everyone should take responsibility to teach the safe handling of firearms.
I shot my 1st .410 when I was 4 years old with suppervision of course. Over the years I was shown what gun powder could do, what damage bullets could do, etc.
Growing up, the firearms where never constantly locked up, but I knew if I went in the cabinet, my ass was grass and dad was a lawnmower.
So instead of all these scare tactics used by anti gun types, why don't people preach education.
Fear of the unknown is a powerfull physcological factor. If the Feds are truely sincere (ya right) about saving lives, then why not put a huge chunk of taxpayers dollars into education???
Now you have me thinking about what could happen in my household since my wife does not have a Possesion lic. But then what is "real Possesion" ? I'm sure there's a law on a book somewhere. Any lawyers around?