Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-10-2011, 10:21 AM

Default must have's for ice fishing shack

Hey guys, just wondering what you guys would consider as "must have's" in an ice shack. We're building a shack for this years season and don't want to miss any important details. We will have a wood burning stove, 2 bench seats with storage underneath, 5 holes w/ plastic covers, a couple cabinets/shelves. We plan on being able to sleep in this shack so we are going to build it quite comfortable. What would you guys make sure it had?
It's going to be a good sized shack and will look like a mini cabin. Also, what could a guy do to prevent theft/vandelism as I'm sure the nicer you build them, the more idiots they attract. Any info or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
SS
Old 11-10-2011, 10:29 AM

some isalation is great like tinfoil behind the wood stove and on the roof, make sure you paint the roof black
also padlocks are a must with theifs
Old 11-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVIS View Post
some isalation is great like tinfoil behind the wood stove and on the roof, make sure you paint the roof black
also padlocks are a must with theifs
Thanks for the response Orivs. Yes we will install sheet metal around the stove on the walls and floor. We plan on insulating it all. Never thought of painting it black though, good idea.
I'm trying to think of a way I can anchor it in the ice so nobody gets the idea of hooking on to it and trying to steal it.
It will be on skids of course and likely puckboard under the skids. We are going to have a removable hitch so we can pull it from either end and it just pins to the skids and has a 2" coupler to hook onto the truck. with everything we plan on doing, we may need a winch truck to move it... LOL
Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Thanks for the response Orivs. Yes we will install sheet metal around the stove on the walls and floor. We plan on insulating it all. Never thought of painting it black though, good idea.
I'm trying to think of a way I can anchor it in the ice so nobody gets the idea of hooking on to it and trying to steal it.
It will be on skids of course and likely puckboard under the skids. We are going to have a removable hitch so we can pull it from either end and it just pins to the skids and has a 2" coupler to hook onto the truck. with everything we plan on doing, we may need a winch truck to move it... LOL
thats the part where you got to trust. most people will not steal your ice shack because its pretty easy to see big ice shack going down the highway. either way the best idea is to lock it up tight. Lots of people will go in there to fish and most people wont mind its just that when people start to steal/vandilize your ice shack.
I had my shack out at sylvan last season and some guy just started to harp on my door and i locked it from the inside im guessing he thought it was just the ice build up. so i let him in and he fished there but i came back again and there was a bunch of 2x4s in the ice and it was froze in there good. so i had to move the shack because i cant drill through wood with my auger. last time someone uses my shack without permission
Old 11-10-2011, 11:30 AM

I just don't understand how some people think these days. Why do these people think they are entitled to everyone else's belongings? I know one thing, if I caught someone trying to steal or vandelize my property, I can guarantee it will be their last time doing it... The good news for me is I know people out at the lake that I will have it on and they live there year round so they can keep an eye on things for me but I would assume most of this stuff happens after dark. Oh well, not going to stop me from building my dream ice shack...

Thanks again.

SS
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Don't forget to provide an adequate air supply for the inside of the ice shack, you don't want to fall asleep and never wake up again
Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Default Solar cell

mount on the roof & run the wires inside.
add a battery & you have instant power for lights, tunes,
charging phones etc.
i would put in at least one window you can open for air.
a 3" or 4" fresh air intake near the stove would be ideal as well.
i can think of a few more but thats it for now.

orv.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:10 PM

Sharpstick,
We do this all winter as well:
1) Underwater camera, (Aquaview Quad for us) add smaller hole in floor in appropriate position to view all or certain holes
2) Canadian Tire battery packs work well for lites,tunes,charge phone,camera etc, easy because they are plug and play,generator to top up if available
3) Sliding window for ventilation
4) C02/smoke detector for piece of mind when sleeping
5) Cast iron pots/pans if using wood stove
6) LED lites are quieter than lantern and use little power
7) Crib board
Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
Sharpstick,
1) Underwater camera, (Aquaview Quad for us) add smaller hole in floor in appropriate position to view all or certain holes
2) Canadian Tire battery packs work well for lites,tunes,charge phone,camera etc, easy because they are plug and play,generator to top up if available x10
3) Sliding window for ventilation x10
4) C02/smoke detector for piece of mind when sleeping x10
5) Cast iron pots/pans if using wood stove x10
6) LED lites are quieter than lantern and use little power x10
7) Crib board
x10

use l.e.d.s in my trailer. love them!!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Sharpstick,
2) Canadian Tire battery packs work well for lites,tunes,charge phone,camera etc, easy because they are plug and play,generator to top up if available
3) Sliding window for ventilation
4) C02/smoke detector for piece of mind when sleeping
5) Cast iron pots/pans if using wood stove
6) LED lites are quieter than lantern and use little power
7) Crib board
just thought id add a carbon monoxide detector essential if u have any fire powered heating source....oh and a satelite and tv...... lol maybe a wii or xbox or ps3
Old 11-10-2011, 02:18 PM

lots of good ideas.. Black is important .. If you want to see the show
below. Its a hoot to watch what you cant catch !! hahahah

I went to Princess Auto and bought a set of magnets that vary in
size from 9 inch to 12 inch long and 2 iches high.
They are made for wrenches I guess . I screwed them to the wall for
spreaders- pliers and hooks knife etc. It works great and your not
tripping over them and kickin them down the hole.
The magnets are on sale at Princess A starting next tues. I think they
are $10 for a set of 3 .

also... there are " Pail Tool Pals ": available at CTC or Princess A also.
They are the canvas or plastic with about 10 pockets in them.
You are supposedto wrap them around a pail for tool storage etc.
Google Pail Pocket tool storage and you'll see what I mean. I
screwed these to the wall behind the seats. you can stuff all kinds of
junk in them. Again... you wont be stepping on your toque.. mitts and
lighter... smokes
cell phone .... etc. etc.... and they are usually about $10 each.
If you can swing it.... Get an underwater camera and set it up
10 feet from your hooks . Best thing I ever did. A great show every
time we go out. One final piece of advice. If you get a Camera you
have to get a MOPOD, Its an elec. tripod for the camera that lets
you turn the camera with a key fob from inside. The camera is
10 times better with the Mopod and very frustrating without it.
With the mopod... you can check out all the hooks and tip ups
that you have set up .

hope to see you on the ice.....

Last edited by Jiffy10; 11-10-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:49 PM

Alodar,
The OP suggested they would be doing overniters in this shack, my suggestions were for this type of fishing. 2 - 3 nites on the ice with a small shack and you will quickly understand the benefits of a few improvements, video games aren't part of my ice shack but go hard if that works for you.
Thanks for the input.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 PM

A Marmish rod hanging on every corner!!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVIS View Post
thats the part where you got to trust. most people will not steal your ice shack because its pretty easy to see big ice shack going down the highway. either way the best idea is to lock it up tight. Lots of people will go in there to fish and most people wont mind its just that when people start to steal/vandilize your ice shack.
I had my shack out at sylvan last season and some guy just started to harp on my door and i locked it from the inside im guessing he thought it was just the ice build up. so i let him in and he fished there but i came back again and there was a bunch of 2x4s in the ice and it was froze in there good. so i had to move the shack because i cant drill through wood with my auger. last time someone uses my shack without permission
Your nicer than I, if someone was reefing on my door of my shack they have a fair chance of coming face to face with my ice chisel.... Just saying ice safety can have many meanings and people should think before they act.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:16 AM

You need a small fan to circulate the air as hot air rises. It will be 110 degrees at the roof and only 30 at the floor. Can get one that you put on the heater and runs itself or a 12 volt. A good thing to have to keep your batteries charged is a solar panel. Or even better would be a small generator but I would not want to here the noise.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 AM

for your viewing pleasure. lots of great ideas incorporated into this ranch o relaxo fishing shack. the right make of snow machine sitting out front too.

Dace

Old 11-11-2011, 01:25 PM

ours will be built along the same lines as this one. maybe not quite as fancy. anyone have a rough idea as to how much money it would cost to build one like this?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Alodar,
The OP suggested they would be doing overniters in this shack, my suggestions were for this type of fishing. 2 - 3 nites on the ice with a small shack and you will quickly understand the benefits of a few improvements, video games aren't part of my ice shack but go hard if that works for you.
Thanks for the input.
The satelite and gaming console Was more or less a joke based on the images of the shack posted by dace theyve come around a few times on the forums. However i stand by my recomendation of a CO detector if you are going to ignore any input dont ignore poisonous gas detectors as well as a co2 and smoke detector as u recomended i was adding to your post something alot of people with wood stoves in Their shacks seem to forget
Old 11-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Default Holes in the floor??

What do you guys use for the holes in the floor? Any ideas?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Gone Hunting

I hope to see pics when this project is done.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-17-2011, 12:54 PM

all great info and advice guys. Picking up some materials this wkd to start on this project. We plan to have this built for the holidays. Hope the weather cooperates and we have some good thick ice by Christmas.
Thanks again and keep sending info if you have any.

Cheers,

SS
Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
for your viewing pleasure. lots of great ideas incorporated into this ranch o relaxo fishing shack. the right make of snow machine sitting out front too.

Dace

That is a nice set up.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 PM

I'd fish in that!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD HAMMER View Post
That is a nice set up.
I agree! That beats the delta hotel ANY day!!!!!! Good on ya!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
ours will be built along the same lines as this one. maybe not quite as fancy. anyone have a rough idea as to how much money it would cost to build one like this?
Mine is nowhere near this fancy. I built it 8x12, put it on 3x12 skis, sheeted it with 3/8 osb and shingled the roof so far and Im only into it for about $300 so far, but I got my shingles for free and I work for a sawmill so I get a discount on my lumber. One thing I learned from my last shack is to built drop ins for the holes in the floor to keep the wind out. My floor sits 16" off the ice and there is a lot of wind that blows through there. My wife is building my drop ins this week, Il post a picture when shes done.

For wind anchors / theft prevention I drill a hole 4' from each corner and drop a 4x4 with a big eye bolt in it in the hole. Run a 3/8 chain through the eye bolt and then through another one on the ski. Lock each with a lock. This keeps the wind from blowing it across the ice and people from stealing it.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:43 AM

hopefully you have some snow to bank it up an keep the wind out from under it! Check out these Catch Covers, they make glowing drop in tubes and everything! Some good ideas here, buckets that latch to the hole to collect the ice auger slush too.
http://www.catchcover.com/
Old 12-05-2011, 02:18 PM

Well we are past the point of no return. We have built the skid for the shack. Made it out of 6" pipe, shack is going to be 12' X 14' with a 4' porch. this will double as a guest house in the summer time so it's going to be a bit over the top for a ice fishing shack but why not... projected time of completion is first week of Jan. It's going to be quite heavy so we'll need lots of ice for it... LOL
Many great ideas from you guys, keep posting them. Will be using many of them in our plans.

Thanks again. Will keep you posted on the progress.
We need to start thinking of a name for this little shack too... LOL

SS
Old 12-05-2011, 02:58 PM

I would nail two canoe paddles crossed above the door and call it the Little House of Oars.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Gone Fishing

Maybe Costco will be selling the ice shanty (seen in the above pics) soon, I wouldnt have a reason to come home .... lol
Old 12-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Well we are past the point of no return. We have built the skid for the shack. Made it out of 6" pipe, shack is going to be 12' X 14' with a 4' porch. this will double as a guest house in the summer time so it's going to be a bit over the top for a ice fishing shack but why not... projected time of completion is first week of Jan. It's going to be quite heavy so we'll need lots of ice for it... LOL
Many great ideas from you guys, keep posting them. Will be using many of them in our plans.

Thanks again. Will keep you posted on the progress.
We need to start thinking of a name for this little shack too... LOL

SS
i am pretty sure you need a special permit for anything over 10'
wide to haul. at least that is what the driver told me that moved
my shed.
may want to look into that first.

orv.