Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 PM
Banned

i buy guns because they shoot.........tikka fills my cabinet.

..........well ok, guess i've got a couple cz's too!
Old 08-13-2019, 10:04 PM

Default Tikka 6.5x55

I bought the T3X stainless synthetic for the climate here on the West Coast and the price point was good.
It shoots so well that guys actually think I’m a good shot.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I bought the T3X stainless synthetic for the climate here on the West Coast and the price point was good.
It shoots so well that guys actually think I’m a good shot.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:31 PM

I feel that the only downside of the T3x is the substantial number of aftermarket parts and upgrades available.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloatingKitten View Post
Go with the Tikka you won't be let down
Son has one...7-08...10 plus years....got it when he was 15...teenagers are hard on things...-30 to +30....moose to yotes....no issues at all.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-14-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
there chambered long and have short mag so you can never load the rounds out to the lands cause the mags limit your length.
While this is certainly true in some chamberings, it isn't true across the board. Especially since Tikka introduced the M+ magazines.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 PM

But I have found the tikkas not to shoot any better than any of the other rifles at a similar price point there chambered long and have short mag so you can never load the rounds out to the lands cause the mags limit your length one length action and plastic junk mags.

The mags are fairly easy to modify, I did one in under an hour with no experience. You can make them as long as you want. Still plastic though.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-16-2019, 09:40 PM

Tikka, Wby or CZ are all excellent rifles around that price point - all will shoot accurately and all have a few things people are annoyed with, but all are simple fixes, the trigger on the vanguard is mediocre at best (although the new ones are better), the stock on the Tikka will kick you like a mule and you are liable to get a flinch ..... you get the idea.

Pick one up, shoulder it, cycle it, and take the one home that fits or suits you best. You can fix the minor annoyances. All good choices.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:32 PM

I just ordered a Sako. Was looking at the Tikka, but for only a couple hundred more with what I think is a far better stock, i decided on the Sako.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:51 PM

Just can't stand recoil levels with the tikka. Stock fit is obviously very bad for me
Old 08-21-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorhunter View Post
I just ordered a Sako. Was looking at the Tikka, but for only a couple hundred more with what I think is a far better stock, i decided on the Sako.
Hope it wasn't an 85 as they have a habit of ejecting the magazine on firing.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:10 PM

Default T3

Have shot T3's in 6.5x55,30-06 and 7 mag recoil......what recoil? Not sure I'd want one in a .300 win mag or .338 though.A buddies dad has a laminate .338 and the stock actually split firing it.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I have only owned two 85s, but neither had this issue.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:10 PM

I have one of those Tikka in 30-06 and its okay rifle for its money.
I also have couple another 30-06s .
One Parker Hale and limited edition Rem 700.
The chamber in Parker is not as tight as Tikka or Rem and once fired brass would not cycle easily through those guns.
I was chambering those cases in Tikka one day and could not pull it out with a bolt .
The extractor failed to eject it from the chamber and I had to use road to get the case out from the barrel.
The chamber on my Rem is as tight as Tikka's but will easily extract any fired cases .
That of course would not have happened if a new unfired brass/round would be chambered but I think Tikkas extractor is a bit weaker then Rem or Win or Sako.

Just my 2 cents.

S12
Old 08-21-2019, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have only owned two 85s, but neither had this issue.
We have 6 85s none have this issue nor do either of them hit the scope when ejecting shells
Old 08-21-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Just can't stand recoil levels with the tikka. Stock fit is obviously very bad for me
I found the same thing. I had a really pretty and very accurate Model 65 in .338, and it would make my face numb and my vision blur every time I touched it off. Absolutely brutal. I'm about the size of a young rhinoceros and regularly shoot .375 and .458 with no ill effects, and my SAKO .338 is barely 7 pounds, so I knew the problem wasn't me.

A guy came along and wanted to buy it for his wife! I told him straight up that it would hurt her real bad, and that I thought it was not a good idea - but she wanted to try it. Little bit of a woman, about 5'2" and maybe 100 pounds. She put a few rounds through it, loved it, and bought it on the spot.

It just goes to show how much of an effect 'fit' has. The drop, cast off and length of pull were just right for her, and dead wrong for me.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:57 PM

Default ejection issues as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ig5lgrMSvI
Old 08-21-2019, 08:04 PM

I’ve shot a tikka t3 .338 win mag for around 5 years now and it’s been great. Factory loads and hand loads no issues. Had to put a limbsaver on it and I dont notice the recoil when hunting but, at the gun range it beats you up a bit. Put a muzzlebrake on it and that helped a lot. It’s always shot tight groups and is awesome to carry up a mountain being so light... like grumpi said the fit can sometimes make or break it for you.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:34 PM

I have only bought one in my life. I also own a Sako 85. For the money I can’t see the benefit of the Sako. That Tikka shoots like a custom rifle with my hand loads. . My only complaint was the stock and that I like to top load. The plastic magazine doesn’t bother me in the least. It seems that the T3x has addressed all of those concerns. I Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one. I have since put a bell and Carlson stock on it.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
How is that,,they have the double latch system? maybe the operator is not fully inserting the mag? I have a 85 and the mag is tough to get out unless you depress the mag move the latch then drop the mag...seems like a pretty air tight system to me.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:42 PM

Out of the box, bolt is smooth, trigger is smooth, it is accurate and it hits a good price point.
Compare it to other rifles in the rack and tell me there is a better rifle in its price range.

Down side not as many after market parts as the Rem 700. That might be a plus for some.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:04 AM

I have a 9.3X62 T3 SS the first time I chambered a round I couldn't feel or hear anything I opened the action to check if it had picked up a round from the mag and yes it did super smooth. After sighting in my first 3 rounds of factory 286 grain were touching not bad for out of the box rifle.
I filled the stock with foam, installed a limbsaver pad with eight 200 gr. .44 bullets under it to improve balance as it felt forward heavy, the light rifle shooting heavy bullets could use some extra weight.
The trigger breaks clean at 3.5 Lbs. and I have no problem with that, I would definitely buy another.
Not the prettiest gal at the dance but she can preform.

Last edited by bat119; 08-22-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:59 AM

I had 2 Tikka T3 in the LS models (270WSMs)-both were great shooters with silky smooth actions. Sold them to the in-laws when I found a mint Sako m75ss 270WSM to purchase from a fellow AO member.

Maybe consider the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro. Its a nice rifle from Sako. Or look at the normal A7 to save a bit more $$$. My nephews have the A7ss rifle that came with the Burris scope. One in a 270WSM, the other in a 7mm-08...they like their rifles.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:41 AM

Thank you all for your input.
I spent a great deal of time looking and reading and researching.
I have a bad habit of researching any purchase over a couple hundred dollars to death.
I was very close to "pulling the trigger" on a Hell's Canyon.
Something didn't sit right with me, the stock felt a bit thin to me and the finish was wearing off the gun Cabela's had on the rack.
I was leaning back towards the Tikka, then I saw the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro was on sale for damn near the same price as the Tikka T3X I was considering.

So I chose the Sako. It feels like home when I shoulder it.
I hope this is the right call.
I'll get out to shoot soon, just waiting on some Talley Rings.

Thanks again for all the input and opinions.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevDawg View Post
I have a bad habit of researching any purchase over a couple hundred dollars to death.
Something didn't sit right with me, the stock felt a bit thin to me and the finish was wearing off the gun Cabela's had on the rack.
I was leaning back towards the Tikka, then I saw the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro was on sale for damn near the same price as the Tikka T3X I was considering.

Those Sako A7s have outstanding features, Great choice!
Old 08-22-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevDawg View Post

They are a nice rifle I think you will be happy. I had one and sold it (I like wood and blue steel) but the rifle itself preformed flawlessly.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
It is the A7 Roughtech. The feel is the stock is very close to the feel of the H-S, McMillan, and Bell and Carlson stocks that I currently have and with the full length bedding block, it seems to be very rigid. Sub MOA guarantee. This is the first Sako so it will be under a lot of scrutiny to live up to my current rifles.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Banned

I have two Tikka T3 lite rifles, 270 is still as purchased, okay rifle. 300 win mag now has a Boyd’s laminated stock on it and a break, also an okay rifle. I have an xbolt hell’s canyon in a 28 nosier all as purchased, it was considerably more accurate out of the box than the tikkas where, however, the 28 nosler only has premium ammo available on the shelf. I have not reloaded yet for the nosler but the 160 accubonds off the shelf are as accurate or better than both Tikkas with worked up loads.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:45 AM

Tikkas used to be a good value when you could get one for $650 - $850.
Now that the T3X's run $1,000 to over $1,350 there are lots of other choices just as good in new and used rifles. If I was about to spend upwards of $1400 on another rifle I would probably pick something else. A Sako A7, a used Sako 75 or 85, or even a good used donor Remington or Winchester and have it rebarreled.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Not only have I never experienced this, I have never jeard of it in real life, or on the internet until this moment.

I've owned three Sako 85's, two at present, and do not see how this would be possible short of having a rifle where the latching mechanism has been modified or is broken.

The latch actually will not release until the front of the magazine is pressed upwards into the action of the rifle. This is achieved through a ridge in the latch mechanism that physically prevents it from moving to the rear unless the magazne is pressed up.

Please specify if this is just something you think you heard and are repeating on the internet, or an actual experience.

I am calling BS...and not because I'm some sort of Sako fanboy, but because it doesn't make sense based on what I know, and I have never heard of this issue before.