Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-06-2020, 04:07 PM

Default Bullet Question, 308 plinking load

Hey all,
doing some loading for plinking when the weather gets nicer.
Is there any reason I shouldn't use these 110gr bullets, in a reduced load using Trailboss,for plinking at 100 yards?
https://www.budgetshootersupply.ca/p...gr-fmj-100bag/
Not to be used while hunting or any other activity than getting in trigger time on paper.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2020, 04:10 PM

Next question
Does anybody have any experience loading single buckshot pellets in 308 or 06 for plinking etc?
I have read about it and wondered if it might be a replacement for carrying a little badger in my pack
Old 04-06-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
Next question
Does anybody have any experience loading single buckshot pellets in 308 or 06 for plinking etc?
I have read about it and wondered if it might be a replacement for carrying a little badger in my pack
Some thing like this?
http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/
Old 04-06-2020, 04:40 PM

Subsonic 308 are fun and cheap. 13.0 gr of red dot over any weight bullet works. I have loaded as light as 5.0 gr for my 308 with heavy bullets only 180 gr +. Pretty sure trailboss would work as well just be careful of secondary explosive effect.
A quick search found 12 gr of trail boss would be perfect with the heavy bullets, not sure about the light for caliber bullets though
Old 04-06-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Subsonic 308 are fun and cheap. 13.0 gr of red dot over any weight bullet works. I have loaded as light as 5.0 gr for my 308 with heavy bullets only 180 gr +. Pretty sure trailboss would work as well just be careful of secondary explosive effect.
A quick search found 12 gr of trail boss would be perfect with the heavy bullets, not sure about the light for caliber bullets though
Good to know, I have read that red dot and trailboss for these type of loads are very similar. i have used trail boss for quite a while with decent results so I have stuck with it.
What is secondary explosive effect?
Old 04-06-2020, 05:52 PM

. The ultimate danger in subsonic loading is a phenomenon known as Secondary Explosive Effect (SEE). SEE can destroy the strongest rifle action and it can happen on the first shot or the tenth. In fact it is more likely to happen after the bore is dirty from the first few shots. SEE is the result of slow or incomplete ignition of small amounts of smokeless powder. The powder smolders and releases explosive gases which, when finally ignited, detonate in a high order explosion. The warning sign for imminent SEE is a hangfire or delayed ignition.There are a number of techniques that can be used to prevent or delay the onset of SEE. These involve specially prepared cases as well as bullets, in addition to selecting a suitable powder and primer.
Fluffy (low bulk density) powders like Red Dot take up much more room in the case. Load density is safety in a subsonic load. It is suggested that loads never go below 30 percent load density (powder occupies 30 percent of the case volume) unless you want to dance with the devil and SEE

Load density can be measured by dropping a length of wood dowel into the loaded case. Mark the dowel where it meets the case mouth. Then pull the dowel out and compare it against the case. Keep notes on load densities for every powder and case combination so that safe loads can be identified at a glance before they are loaded. Don't go below 30% load density!

Note this is copy and pasted off a post on snipers hide by Top Predator... His explanation is far better than mine
Old 04-06-2020, 06:47 PM

I have very good results with "0" buckshot resized to .308 in win 308 and the same load for 30 06. Lee dipper 0.5 cm of Clays powder and 215 mag primer. I use it for hunting chickens while hunting big game. At 25 yards under 1" group. I found that Read dot is little to slow and leaves some powder in the muzzle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2406.JPG (73.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2407.JPG (73.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by vic1; 04-06-2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 04-06-2020, 06:56 PM

that whole secondary thing...
trail boss is a very fluffy powder, big warnings against compressing the load. I load my 45/70 with it, and I doubt I could fit 15gr in the whole case. The bottles of it are only 9oz instead of the regular 16 because of how fluffy those little donuts are.

... so in my inexperienced opinion I think it wouldnt give you a secondary scenario.
Thats me thinking outloud, if I am wrong please let me know as I load with it as well and would love to know!
Old 04-06-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
that whole secondary thing...
trail boss is a very fluffy powder, big warnings against compressing the load. I load my 45/70 with it, and I doubt I could fit 15gr in the whole case. The bottles of it are only 9oz instead of the regular 16 because of how fluffy those little donuts are.

... so in my inexperienced opinion I think it wouldnt give you a secondary scenario.
Thats me thinking outloud, if I am wrong please let me know as I load with it as well and would love to know!
I agree with your thoughts using trail boss. I generally use red dot which could become problematic if you reduce your load down below 30% case capacity ( about 3 gr or so)
Old 04-06-2020, 07:19 PM

Default See

Well I dont think SEE will be an issue for me.
I follow the procedures from the Hodgdon Website and they recommend not going below 70% of a load and I usually start around 80%.

Back to these 110gr bullets, any one see any reason to not go ahead and give them a try?

I have some 110gr VMax on the way, cant wait to try those on some gophers!
Old 04-06-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
Next question
I have made "chicken" loads for most of my center fires.
Use brass that has been fired in your gun to get a closer fit.
The low pressure will not expand the brass to form a seal.
Deprive without sizing, reprime.
Charge a small amount (5-8grs)of fast powder like red dot or similar.
Add some fibre fill stuffing to keep the powder again the primer.
Find the right size buck shot or swag down a slightly larger one to fit the caliber of choice.
You can shoot a ruffy in the body and not cause any meat damage.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I agree with your thoughts using trail boss. I generally use red dot which could become problematic if you reduce your load down below 30% case capacity ( about 3 gr or so)
Ok, I see how that could be a problem.

And to the OP, campro also makes a very cheap plinking 308 round, in 147gr as well if you find that one too light.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:50 PM

I used Unique for years with the 110 grain bullets for the 308 and 3006 with the little Speer Pllinkers and Seirra 110 grain bullets, when trail Boss came out I switched to that.
It's a great powder, safe to use, and works well .
No risk of using it with any bullet as long as you follow the load data sequence properly.
Cat
Old 04-06-2020, 10:09 PM

I would up buying about 300 rounds of Chinese 7.62 for $50 off a guy I worked with.
Shoots pretty good but not quite as good as some old Canadian surplus 7.62.
Shot a lot of beavers with it the last couple years.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:40 PM

Default Thanks Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I used Unique for years with the 110 grain bullets for the 308 and 3006 with the little Speer Pllinkers and Seirra 110 grain bullets, when trail Boss came out I switched to that.
It's a great powder, safe to use, and works well .
No risk of using it with any bullet as long as you follow the load data sequence properly.
Cat
Right on, thanks Cat. That is what my gut was telling me but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:43 PM

Default Out of stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Ok, I see how that could be a problem.

And to the OP, campro also makes a very cheap plinking 308 round, in 147gr as well if you find that one too light.
I've looked at these as well but can not find any right now. Hopefully in a couple months I can get my hands on some
Old 04-06-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Right on, thanks Cat. That is what my gut was telling me but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
BTW, I also use it in my 8.15X46R Shuetzen rifle , to replace my dwindling supply of 4759 and 4227,it is accurate out to 200 meters with cast bullets, and
in my .577 Snider as well, although I still like shooting black powder in that one!
Cat
Old 04-07-2020, 03:49 AM

Trail Boss is a truly great powder. I have made reduced loads in 17 FB, 22 Hornet and pretty much everything else all the way to and including the 460 Weatherby mag. You cannot possibly make a dangerous load with this stuff in bottle neck cartridges.

The 110s will work but many 308s and 30-06s don't shoot them that accurately as they are a very short bullet. Cheapest 308 plinking loads are 130-165 grain Cast bullets, $40 for 200 from bullet barn, with light loads of Trail Boss or 4895 depending on what you are doing. I have made small game loads with Hornady pure lead Buckshot for 7mm, 308, 300 WM, 338 Mag. Neck size and prime once fired cases. For 308 3-5 grains of Trail Boss and push the round ball into the mouth with your seating dies. They are very accurate under 50 yards.

When I was developing Trail Boss loads a few years ago for my brothers 308 I shot these test targets. Here are two groups shot with a 308 using a Hornady Buckshot pure lead round ball, one with 3.5 grains of Trail Boss, lower right, and the other with 4 grains. Both groups are 5 shots each at about 20 yards.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-07-2020 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:31 AM

Trail boss is a fantastic powder for what you want to do. I’ve made 25-06 300wm and 270 “utility rounds” for the squad so we can save weight and shoot chickens and rabbits in the back 40. For your bullet selection I would recommend something that is a different shape from what you normally shoot like a round nose for east Id. Paint and felt wear off in your pocket and if you use same or similar bullets to your regular load there can be errors. Another thing to look at is just cost. Bullet weight dosnt matter. We started off using light rounds 70 25-06 110gr for the 300 but have since switched to the heavy stuff to cut velocity. Finding an accurate subsonic load with a light bullet is more difficult with the velocity window being smaller. These loads still won’t be super quiet there still louder than a 22 the only real gains is make one rifle a true all game setup.

A note for using on grouse and rabbits, Blowing a chicken down the trail and leaving a skid mark of burger and feather only feeds the coyotes get close make headshots. Hitting a chicken with a 308 load at any speed is devastating there won’t be a lot left and you’ll just waste them if you don’t beanball/neck them.