Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 09:28 AM

Default Pistols on private land?

No, it's not an invitation to duel! It's a question about usage.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "No", but thought I'd ask: can I shoot pistols on private land I own?

I am a member of a range, but thought it would be nice - if possible - to take my Enfield .38 S&W and Swiss 7.5 revolver to shoot outdoors. Again, if possible.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:29 AM

Not legal
Old 03-11-2017, 09:37 AM

Nope. Your permit to transfer likely reads to approved range and back by the most direct route. That's all you can legally do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2017, 09:39 AM

There was a report last week on one of my news feeds that said it was not illegal. Maybe NFA site. What it said was there is nothing wrote in the law to make it illegal so it must be legal. I will see if I can find it and repost on here.
I do not remember who wrote it so maybe it is not believable.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:40 AM

You can only discharge restricted firearms where you are allowed by law to do so..... that pretty much means a CFO vetted and certified range.
I'm surprised this wasn't covered in your CFSC(R) course.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-11-2017, 09:45 AM

by law NO ...... but if a tree falls in the bush and no one is around to hear it ...does it make a noise?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:46 AM

Check FB page Carry Concealed Canada for the story
Old 03-11-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You can only discharge restricted firearms where you are allowed by law to do so..... that pretty much means a CFO vetted and certified range.
I can only wonder how a person that has completed a restricted PAL course would not know this. I would think that the most important information in the course would be what constitutes a restricted firearm, and where it can legally be discharged.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:48 AM

Just to add to op question.
What if your residence is the private land. Meaning out in the country of course. Can u discharge hand gun in the back 40.

Elkster
Old 03-11-2017, 09:51 AM

The person who wrote the story is a lawyer who specializing in firearms law in Canada.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkster View Post
Just to add to op question.
What if your residence is the private land. Meaning out in the country of course. Can u discharge hand gun in the back 40.

Elkster
After popping off a few rounds from the ol' 44 , your supposed to call the RCMP and CFC and turn your self in ,,,,,

OH, and also start a thread about the ordeal on a popular online chat forum, just to make sure you get caught,,,,
Old 03-11-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
The person who wrote the story is a lawyer who specializing in firearms law in Canada.
That's great get him to use you as a test case .
What I know about lawyers is that they will find anything to try and prove their point , win or LOSE.
And they may lose a case but it doesn't affect them .
The people they represent however .......
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-11-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That's great get him to use you as a test case .
What I know about lawyers is that they will find anything to try and prove their point , win or LOSE.
And they may lose a case but it doesn't affect them .
The people they represent however .......
Cat
Lawyer wins, either way.

Grizz

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-11-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
If that lawyer really believed what he is spouting, he would shoot a restricted weapon outside of a restricted range, and get arrested, so that he could win his case in court. Why do you suppose hasn't he done that ? Probably because he is too smart to actually do something that stupid, and then possibly lose in court. Now if he could find someone foolish enough to be his test case, so he takes no risk, and he gets paid for his time, that is another story.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Lawyer wins, either way.

Grizz
Yup, exactly
Cat
Old 03-11-2017, 10:49 AM

Default Nooooooo!

Only shoot at an approved shooting range they do not take offences with restricted firearms lightly.
If you like shooting you will follow the laws because it can be taken away and it will affect you entire life if you end up going to jail and get a criminal record.
By the way never trust a Lawyer.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 AM

If it were convenient to shoot restricted firearms, a lot more people would own them.
That is why you aren't allowed to shoot on private land.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Banned

It is obvious that private, secluded property is not safe enough for Canadians to discharge restricted firearms.

Think of the children.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:04 PM

Sounds like a trolling question especially with 6 posts.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
It is obvious that private, secluded property is not safe enough for Canadians to discharge restricted firearms.

Think of the children.
It has nothing to do with safety, it's all about control.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Banned

Just find yourself a good declassified/ deregistered operational handgun revolver, Load your own ammo and you can do what the hell you want with it, anywhere you wish to shoot it and carry it,
They can pound salt In their xxx , both the RCMP and CFC true

It is NOT a restricted firearm, they deregistered it
Old 03-11-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Think of the children.
He asked if it was legal.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It has nothing to do with safety, it's all about control.
In the name of public safety.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
He asked if it was legal.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
I am aware of that. He got his answer. It is obvious that I am merely making a mockery of our firearms laws.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I am aware of that. He got his answer. It is obvious that I am merely making a mockery of our firearms laws.

Gotcha. One thing we can be sure of, firearms laws are sure to be come more restrictive than more lenient as we become more and more of an urban society with fewer and fewer sportsmen.

When I was a kid back in the 60s, my friends and I used to cut off single shot Cooey 22's and make handguns out of them. Today if you tried to do that, we'd be in deep sh1t. Course we weren't stupid enough to take them downtown or anything. Knew better than to drink in public when we underage too, or talk back to our teachers, parents or police. Times change and not often for the better.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. One thing we can be sure of, firearms laws are sure to be come more restrictive than more lenient as we become more and more of an urban society with fewer and fewer sportsmen.

When I was a kid back in the 60s, my friends and I used to cut off single shot Cooey 22's and make handguns out of them. Today if you tried to do that, we'd be in deep sh1t. Course we weren't stupid enough to take them downtown or anything. Knew better than to drink in public when we underage too, or talk back to our teachers, parents or police. Times change and not often for the better.

With a surge in gun ownership since the LG registry got scrapped - particularly in urban areas and particularly with restricted classes - I can forsee a time when our numbers might be high enough to carry weight. Of course I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

Colin
Old 03-11-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
With a surge in gun ownership since the LG registry got scrapped - particularly in urban areas and particularly with restricted classes - I can forsee a time when our numbers might be high enough to carry weight. Of course I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

Colin
Hope you're right. I've gone back and forth on it...
Old 03-11-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetRick View Post
No, it's not an invitation to duel! It's a question about usage.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "No", but thought I'd ask: can I shoot pistols on private land I own?

I am a member of a range, but thought it would be nice - if possible - to take my Enfield .38 S&W and Swiss 7.5 revolver to shoot outdoors. Again, if possible.
To clarify what's above, it is illegal to discharge a RESTRICTED firearm not at a range. Don't do it and if you do so it treat it like Fight Club. I've heard of people trying to get a range certified on their land because all they want to do is a little target practice, but it ain't easy. Probably easier to get a trap line and a permit to carry it on the trap line only, but I know that's not what you're looking for.

Antique handguns may not be covered by this if they are not restricted, I know there are some that aren't and you could target shoot with but I don't know which or what details make the distinction. So, if you're going that way be damn sure you know the rules, and keep out of trouble because any LEO you meet may not be aware of that particular loophole. I do know our firearms laws are arbitrary and unnecessarily complicated, and see them mostly as rules intended to discourage shooting sports as a hobby over time.

Good reason to get an RPAL and a handgun if you don't have one already, and invite a neighbor to the range...
Old 03-12-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Please provide the CC section that says it's illegal.
I'm betting you can't because no such law exists to my knowledge?

Quote:
Nope. Your permit to transfer likely reads to approved range and back by the most direct route. That's all you can legally do with it.

Exactly,and this is the argument that is being made by said lawyer.
Your ATT authorizes you to transport your restricted firearm,usually from your home address....and this is the important part.
If you live on rural property,the entire property may well be(but not always)identified as a numbered address,essentially,the entire property shares the same address as your actual house...ie, 123 Range Rd 52 etc etc.
If you can legally discharge a non-restricted rifle on your home property,ie;hunting,pest control,target practice etc....there is actually no law and no reason why you theoretically cannot discharge a restricted firearm there as well.
You haven't violated any conditions of your ATT.....technically,you are still at home and have not actually transported the restricted firearm anywhere.
Please cite what LAW has been broken if you disagree?

Note,I am not a lawyer,nor do I play one on TV.....test and challenge at your own risk and peril.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:14 AM

I was always told you can't fire a restricted on private land because of the storage laws. A restricted at your place of residence is considered in storage and must be kept unloaded at all times.

Storage of Restricted Firearms
6*An individual may store a restricted firearm only if
(a)*it is unloaded;
(b)*it is
(i)*rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device and stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or
(ii)*stored in a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked; and
(c)*it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in
(i)*a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or
(ii)*a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked.