Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2016, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
I don't think too many people have fired fully automatic weapons if they think that the fire from automatics is more dangerous than accurately aimed semi-auto shooting.
Agreed.....Spray and pray.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
2 things. some gun ranges offer storage.

Don't mistake someone simply being an a**hole or lack of driving skill for planning...
I checked into it and I have to be a member of that range and well $$$$$$

Maybe I'm being overzealous but the parking lot was rather empty last night and I did find it out of place. Possibly someone called me in out at my friends house ? I'm not at liberty to say what I was firing but I'm sure it's rather new to unfamiliar ears.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I checked into it and I have to be a member of that range and well $$$$$$

Maybe I'm being overzealous but the parking lot was rather empty last night and I did find it out of place. Possibly someone called me in out at my friends house ? I'm not at liberty to say what I was firing but I'm sure it's rather new to unfamiliar ears.
Get a one month rental as a secured storage facility.

How close were you to the door?? Might be able to add laziness to the list...
Old 01-15-2016, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Depends on the gun, if there are semi autos that can easily be made fully automatic with simple modifications, and you can get high round magazine for. I think we absolutely have to look at those rifles.
Fudd alert!!!!

Next they will take your lever actions and bolt actions and break actions.

Spineless Fudd.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:28 PM

Even in the states I couldn't find one recored mass shooting were the suspect used a fully auto weapon. Most (3/4) were handguns. They say the monton shooter considerd converting his rifle to automatic fire. But they never publish why he didn't- to uncontrollable and not nearly as easy as the RCMP make it out to be.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Get a one month rental as a secured storage facility.

How close were you to the door?? Might be able to add laziness to the list...

I parked right by the door
I will look into that option and I hope your right about being lazy

I'm not sure what else I can do to avoid the attention other than leaving them locked up. My neighbors aren't even aware I own firearms nor will they !

I avoid shooting ranges because that's where the thieves do their shopping in most cases and just another reason to watch your not being followed home by some thug for those who attend the range.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
The only one that can easily be converted was the FN FAL which is now prohibited, the rest is pure fear-mongering bull****. The liars are referring to bump -firing. Not exactly effective.
You can bump fire an SKS. Like you said not exactly effective. Now if you could modify an SKS with just a little trigger work and drill out the pin they put in the magazines, I think it would be worth having a discussion on whether the average citizen needs this type of firearm in their possession.

I'm definitely not in support of confiscating guns for no reason, but from the sounds of the article they're looking mostly at new guns and pistols that have hit the market. As I said I'll reserve judgement until we see something happen.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Breaking news....

Provinces move to ban RCMP after charter rights violations become rampant

Pretty simple solution huh.
Almost happened not to long ago. I know for a fact the province was planning on not renewing the contract with the RCMP and having the Alberta Sheriffs policing in the RCMP's place.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
You can bump fire an SKS. Like you said not exactly effective. Now if you could modify an SKS with just a little trigger work and drill out the pin they put in the magazines, I think it would be worth having a discussion on whether the average citizen needs this type of firearm in their possession.

I'm definitely not in support of confiscating guns for no reason, but from the sounds of the article they're looking mostly at new guns and pistols that have hit the market. As I said I'll reserve judgement until we see something happen.
Alright raab, can you give one good reason why the average citizen having a high capacity magazine is a bad thing? (Besides that it is against the law) Keep in mind, even a novice shooter can swap mags pretty fast..
Old 01-15-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage addict View Post
I'm pretty sure they're talking about bump firing, and the bump fire stocks you can get. It's the undereducated Americans shooting full auto at propane tanks and things like this that make people gun CRAZY, and I agree, but we don't have mass shootings here for the most part, really more knife attacks than anything. Other countries need to model their gun policy after us
I agree, our background checks and waiting period I'm sure have helped reduce gun violence here.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Alright raab, can you give one good reason why the average citizen having a high capacity magazine is a bad thing? (Besides that it is against the law) Keep in mind, even a novice shooter can swap mags pretty fast..
And can you tell me why we need high capacity mags?

Theres absolutely no need for the average citizen to have high capacity mags. If your at the range it takes two seconds to reload, if your hunting you can only use 5 shots anyways, and if your a collector the reduced mag shouldn't matter.

If you want to use prohibited weapons join the Reserves or CAF. JMO
Old 01-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

Theres absolutely no need for the average citizen to have high capacity mags. If your at the range it takes two seconds to reload, if your hunting you can only use 5 shots anyways, and if your a collector the reduced mag shouldn't matter.

What if everything we didn't need was prohibited? It has to do with reason and common sense, not need. It would be a lot more enjoyable to do some target shooting without constantly having to reload. A high capacity magazine ban takes high capacity magazines away from law abiding citizens, not criminals. So tell me if Canada has become a safer place with our current high capacity magazine restrictions .
Old 01-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Banned

I appreciate that it is your opinion btw, just trying to wrap my head around the reasoning behind it..
Old 01-15-2016, 04:28 PM

In all of this discussion, I have to wonder why it is that the judges and the judiciary/crown attorneys are, by and large, getting free passes re the firearms discussion.

It is the judges who impose the penalties and if they choose to set the bar low (and in far to many criminal firearms related cases they are), then their underlings such as crown attorneys and the police have little power.

It is the crown attorneys who choose what charges to lay, what charges to drop, and what charges to "trade off" for whatever re far to many firearms offenses. The lame duck excuse of dropping charges because of "being unlikely to result in a conviction" is contributing to keeping the bar very low. If crown attorneys are pretty sure the judges are unlikely to convict based on past experience, no wonder the bar remains very low and little wonder that the lower echelons of the police departments are seeming doing less than might be done to bring about prosecutions.

It is judges who make the decision to convict and apply sentences concurrently or consecutively. For decades, Liberal appointed judges have been choosing the "concurrent" approach and this has been/still is sending a very wrong message - particularly as it regards multiple firearms offenses arising from a single illegal/criminal situation. The new age activist judges are not only adjudicating law these days, but in fact are making law as well. The bigger question becomes - who controls the judges? Judges controlling judges works no better than it does when other groups "control" their own members.

Meanwhile, the upper echelons of the police departments combining with Liberal politicians seem bent on making it increasingly difficult for law abiding firearms owners rather than focusing on where they should - the criminal element that are using/possessing firearms to the detriment of society at large.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Registry is gone but do you really think that all the information it had was distroyed ? I don't think so.
It's gone all right, takes my son 9 months to get his pal, he's had military experience too.

Took me 3 weeks. I had a FAC back in '92

Still think that the gun registry was destroyed?
Old 01-15-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
What if everything we didn't need was prohibited? It has to do with reason and common sense, not need. It would be a lot more enjoyable to do some target shooting without constantly having to reload. A high capacity magazine ban takes high capacity magazines away from law abiding citizens, not criminals. So tell me if Canada has become a safer place with our current high capacity magazine restrictions .
I dunno, look at the states and the successes they've seen with little restrictions on firearms... Also target shooting with high capacity mags sucks, throws off accuracy.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTTT View Post
It's gone all right, takes my son 9 months to get his pal, he's had military experience too.

Took me 3 weeks. I had a FAC back in '92

Still think that the gun registry was destroyed?
Did he get restricted and you get non-restricted? I had mine in hand 5 weeks after taking the course. Also 3 weeks sounds quick, I believe there's a 28 day waiting period before you get your PAL once the documents are sent in.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:

For the same reason people can buy motorcycles or cars that can do 3-4 times the speed limit. For the reason that we can buy trucks and boats that do way more than we ever need to. For the reason I can live in a 2500 square foot house alone. Because it's supposedly a free country and just because someone buys a high cap magazine doesn't instantly make them a criminal planning on bypassing the method of pinning it at 5 rounds.
Give your head a shake.
Maybe the RCMP are trying to do preventive maintenance because soon we will have a lot of new citizens who will try to make some purchases the day after they arrive?
Banned

Quote:
I dunno, look at the states and the successes they've seen with little restrictions on firearms... Also target shooting with high capacity mags sucks, throws off accuracy.
Practice.

Quote:
You're joking, right? Maybe read up a bit on this, and not from huffpost or motherearth. Ya gotta look for facts and stats.

The states with the most restrictions in the US have more gun crime than states that have less restrictions. The data supports guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:

It's ignorance like this that allows for rights to be infringed upon,needlessly. I need a large capacity mag for wolf hunting.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
It's ignorance like this that allows for rights to be infringed upon,needlessly. I need a large capacity mag for wolf hunting.
x2
Old 01-15-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Or better aim... JK, this at least makes sense and is a valid argument. For me I really like the idea that some depressed kid can't just go grab dad's gun and go into a theatre/school/mall and start shooting it up without needing to reload in 5 shots. That time he takes to reload may be all the time someone needs to tackle him, and stop any more violence.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Really? Because all you have done in this thread is come up with a bunch of reasons to ban them. Furthermore almost every "fact" you have offered has been wrong. If you have such a poor understanding of firearms, freedom and laws why do you keep offering opinions on what should be banned? Just like the lieberals.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
We, the law abiding, cant use High capacity Mags.......Illegal.

Typical Lieberal, telling me what I need.... Would love to carry 30rnd mags while shooting 3 gun competitions, and hunting.....One mag, no extra ammo/carrying pouch needed, that mag would last me 5 seasons.

Quote:
What successes in the US? Pull your head out of the sand.......Also, if target shooting with your "superduper high capacity 5 round mags" throws off your accuracy......Id say the user sucks.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:52 PM
Banned

Default Excellent observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
Really? Because all you have done in this thread is come up with a bunch of reasons to ban them. Furthermore almost every "fact" you have offered has been wrong. If you have such a poor understanding of firearms, freedom and laws why do you keep offering opinions on what should be banned? Just like the lieberals.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
And what facts have I been wrong with? I never said the Mini 14 was full auto, but it did have a high mag in the Ecole Polytechnique shooting. I said I wasn't sure if the rifle used in Mayerthorpe was full auto, but I was sure it was prohibited. How about instead of insulting me you bring something to the argument to why you think rifles that can be easily modified to full auto and have easily modified high capacity magazines should be kept off the prohibited list.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Glad you brought that up. The low restrictions have been a resounding success. They have one of the lowest gun murder rates in the world per capita. In addition, states and cities that have higher restriction experience higher gun related crime.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I believe the Mayerthorpe incident involved a fully auto weapon.
Wrong, it was a semi-automatic

Quote:
The shooter in the ecole Polytechnique shooting in Quebec used a mini 14 with a high capacity magazine.
Wrong, it was a normal capacity magazine.
Ecole happened before it was a criminal offence not to have a 3 cent rivet stuck in the side of a magazine.

Quote:
I'm sure theres tons out there if we went and looked.
Wrong, there are more occurrences of accidental shootings by police officers than there are of criminal shootings with full auto firearms in Canada.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
And what facts have I been wrong with? I never said the Mini 14 was full auto, but it did have a high mag in the Ecole Polytechnique shooting. I said I wasn't sure if the rifle used in Mayerthorpe was full auto, but I was sure it was prohibited. How about instead of insulting me you bring something to the argument to why you think rifles that can be easily modified to full auto and have easily modified high capacity magazines should be kept off the prohibited list.
Yeah, you did.

Quote:
I believe the Mayerthorpe incident involved a fully auto weapon.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me