Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 04:25 PM

Default couple questions...

I'm 18 and just getting into shooting/hunting. I have a couple questions about regulations and range etiquette:

1) The regulations say I can't hunt big game with an autoloading rifle who's magazine holds more than 5 rounds. Does autoloading only mean semiautos? or does it also apply to other rifles? (specifically lever action).

2) I've been to marshalled ranges before and am familiar with the proper protocol and rules, but what about unmarshalled ranges such as sibbald? how does one set up their target or call a ceasefire if need be?

thanks so much for the help!

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-18-2013, 04:38 PM

1. Yes you have it right, auto loading means you don't ha e to cycle the action to load another round. So on a semi your mag can only hold 5 rounds. Most hunting rifles you dont need to worry about it. Although guns like the Sks have larger capacity mags that need to be pinned so you can only load 5.

2. At Sibbald or places with no official officer present, usually someone will act as a range officer or you just look up and down the line to see if everyone is ready for a cease fire or to go hot etc. if you go to sibbald for the live of god please be carefull it can be iffy at best. It's unnerving to be walking back from hanging a target and have some jack wad playing with his rifle " it's unloaded" how the f do I know that when you're waving it around! And please clean up after yourself eve. If it looks like no one else does.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:48 PM

thanks! would you recommend just going to crown land and finding a good backdrop to shoot then?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Default Garand

I recall it used to be, but does the Garand still have the 8 round exemption? I think that may be the only exception to the rule, other than the pistol round 'rifles'.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 PM

Default Garand

Correct. The garand is the only exception to the 5 capacity rule.