Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 10:42 AM

Default reloading question for my 270 win

Can someone who has alot of knowledge reloading and also reloads for a 270 please pm me? i Have few questions i would like to ask and clarify. i Care to do it privately then have everyone flame on
Old 08-18-2013, 10:53 AM

No one will flame you for asking reloading questions
Old 08-18-2013, 11:31 AM

So i was out shooting yesterday with my newly made reloads. after shooting them all off 55g in h4831sc was a grouping of about .74 in sierra game kings then everything opened right up then closed back in again at 60g to about .8(all at a 100 yards). question is which would you take? would you go with 60g and try play around with seating depth and try tighten it up more and keep the velocity or go back to 55g which was tighter to begin with? any help with this would be nice i am new to reloading and been a pain trying to find something my gun finally likes. thx for all help i just copied what i pm'd a forum member. In both groups that were tight first 2 shots were usually close to each other and 3rd making it that .7 to .8 away might be me not waiting long enough or just human shooting error. Just trying to get a direction to go with on my reloads
Old 08-18-2013, 11:58 AM

What grain of bullet are you shooting and how close are you to your max load of powder?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:32 PM

130g and 60g from hodgdon site is max load
Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Banned

Refer to your Sierra reloading manual and go for their "accuracy load" on the bottom of the page. Every time that I do, stellar results. Don't mess with seating depth, just follow their instructions making sure of course that COAL will cycle nicely out of your magazine.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:25 PM

According to the Sierra manual the load of 60 is over max by 0.8 grains of powder.

That is not too much of a concern as long as you are not seeing pressure signs, but it does not leave you much room to play around with seating depth.
Is the load compressed? How close to lands is the bullet now? Was it a hot day when you were shooting? A load close to max on a hot day may be a bad combo...

From what I have read most guns will have nodes of what they like for powder charge, there will be more then one sweet spot. Looks like you found 2, that is great gives you lots of option!

I have only been loading for a year and a half, 270 win is the first chambering I started loading for, so I still have a lot to learn. But I now load for 8 chamberings from 223 to 7MM RemMag and feel very confident in my loading.

If it were me I would go back to the 55 grain load, you are only losing a couple hundred FPS so unless this is for long range shooting, its not that big of a loss. I confess to not being a speed freak, longest shot I have taken hunting is 220 yards. What is your goal with this rifle / load combo?
The 55gr load saves you a bit of powder, will be easier on equipment and gives you some room for human/equipment error while you are charging. The 55 grain load is more accurate and gives you more flexability to play with seating depth.

Good luck let us know how it goes!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Banned

You've learned well FAF. I don't take credit for that, as you have apparently educated yourself on the topic. Too many people get hung up on this "flat shooting" thing or high velocity. A superb node can be had with lower velocities, and all that means is that you got to figure out your right "come ups". Good on you buddy..
Old 08-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Those loads were all done at .02 off lands. It was decently warm out. I looked again at the case's and no difference in primers or brass from the 60 grain to the 55 grain and when I was shooting the bolt never felt sticky or hard to open. Its mainly for hunting the load but since only have one rifle I like to shoot alot and like to test my groups amd further ranges so if I can get the accuracy for long range I like that
Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Banned

Your loads for a sporter. 270 will serve you well. I don't really see that you have an issue here. Don't try to get match accuracy outta your. 270, it ain't gonna happen. You seem to be on track and I think that you'll do just fine.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 PM

I like to know where the top end is with my rifles. Each one will be different from the next and usually differ slightly from most loading manuals. For example, my 243 can't ever go as high as the books say I can before I start seeing pressure signs and others take a little more. Anyway most barrels will have two nodes with any combo within reasonable pressures. You may even find a third node but it will be quite warm and likely show signs of pressure. I usually work with the second node because I find that most powder burns way cleaner at this pressure. I take this to mean "efficient". In no way whatsoever am I telling anyone to keep adding powder but if you are sure there is no preasure signs I would run it at the higher of the two nodes. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:21 PM

You idiot just kidding. I like the hodgden site because its hotter tan others and their max loads may actually be pretty hot. Alliant not very good and less info. Other than that cant really help
Old 08-18-2013, 07:07 PM

thx all for the help. just gonna make few more up at both loads and play around a bit see what one i like more. I also wanna get them both chrono'd see what kind of fps i am getting if its close to what book says. Again thanks for everyones input
Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 PM

See told you no flaming. Despite what you may have read, everyone here is here to help. Now if you were asking a hunting question that was clearly in the regs, would be a different story.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 PM

haha totally true. i guess from reading all the regs posts and people looking for fly fishing spots, got a little shy

Last edited by twispi; 08-18-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: miss type
Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 PM

If you have a chronograph, or can borrow one, I'd go with the group that has the smallest Extreme spread (ES). this is the difference in velocity between the lowest and highest in any given group shot. The smaller the ES the better. At distance a high ES can present as "flyers". It will also show if you have issues in your reloading. Things like a mix of case brands can have a big difference. In my 260 AI federal cases shoot 70 FPS faster than win cases with everything else being exactly the same.

Last edited by fatboyz; 08-18-2013 at 08:27 PM.