Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 PM

makes it alot easier then trial and error thank you guys
Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 PM

If I cant hold my hand on it I cool it down. Actually I dont usually let mine even get that hot but I have heard a lot of people say that.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokefromtheeast View Post
what is the best method for guagein heat
You can actually get a heat paint pen that changes color to show temp range. Or the new ir temp guns iirc 30-50$. I have applied paint to a short lenth of banding and touch to the breech to give a ball park tenp range.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Time to end hostilities.

We all agree that shooting barrels till they are too hot too touch and pouring water on them just ain't smart.

The one thing I like about these threads is learning new words i.e. obturation.
Agreed.
This thread also made me think of a few words that also apply to this thread:

obtuse
and
obdurate.

p.s. I'm putting my money on Dick.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:44 PM

"Cold air in a can" is a real time saver
Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
So how many rounds before this one showed signs of wear?
Cat
Cat, the barrel was pulled after the fire forming was done. Just over 1000 rounds.

R.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Too hot to touch is in most cases not that hot, try grabbing hold of something that is 80 degrees c feels really hot. Unless you are using a ray tech you are ****ing in the wind. I have seen said barrel that is in question of Rmans and he is not bull****ing. And as far as actually shooting, I have personally seen the man shoot out to a mile. I have also seen him wear out a 338 lapua barrel. So in closing he is not full of chit, his head may be slightly large but that is an altogether different issue.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 AM

There are so many factors when it comes to metallurgy and the book is not closed yet.

There si an iron pillar in India that does not rust, Not stainless Steel but IRON,

Apparantly there are some barrells that also break the laws of physics, chemiistry!....obstinately....

One fact is that M60 barrells were made with stellite tohelp ensure accuracy even when they became WHITE Hot, they were cooled in water and then re-fired and point of impact remained the same. Howver it became dangerous because rounds were starting to pre-ignite just from being chambered....

Some barrells need to be babied and others... not so much... In fact we can also get into a debate... some guns shoot better slightly dirty than clean, others like to be clean as a whistle... etc.

Metallurgy is a very interesting game and especially in rifle barrells where they are subjected to extremes....

Ok here is a question.... if you were outside shooting at -30 is more extreme than placing a rifle in an air conditioned cab to enhance the cooling...

Temperature shock in steel can lead to fracturing depending on its metallurgical properties and these are not all equal....

There are all sorts of theories and "cryogenic" barrells is part of a theory as well...

I have played with this:

What is more damaging the last 10 rounds in a hot barrell or using air in a can upside down to let the cryogenic liquid go into the barrel and then shoot those 10 rounds?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 AM

Boys, this thread has degenerated into a science class in which there is probably no qualified professor with a Phd. in Metallurgy.

To the OP: You are on the right track. Here is summary of the really useful info that no one will fight about. Shoot a 3-5 shot group and let the rifle cool between groups. If it's warm outside feel free to use the air conditioner in your vehicle to speed the cooling time.

Yaa, it's over
Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM

Default chimney effect

No big revelation here, but I found that removing the box mag and propping the rifle up with an open bolt speeds up natural cooling, esp. if there is the slightest breeze.

Sitting on the bags bolt open takes longer.