Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-14-2013, 12:12 PM

Default Hunting Scope

Looking to get a Scope, dont really know anything about scopes but want one for my hunting rifle. My budget is $400 really Max... If someone could also explain what 3-12x44mm means?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 12:13 PM

FYI Preferably cheaper then $400, its also for a Tikka T3 7mm Rem. Mag, if that helps at all.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnadile View Post
Looking to get a Scope, dont really know anything about scopes but want one for my hunting rifle. My budget is $400 really Max... If someone could also explain what 3-12x44mm means?

Thanks

Means it has variable magnification from 3 times to 12 times what you see with your naked eye and that the objective lense (the front one) is 44mm wide, which is a good/standard size for hunting. Probably the most common hunting scope around is the 3-9x40mm. A 3-12x44 would be a very good scope sizing as well.

Folks here sometimes buy fine scopes worth thousands of dollars, but $400 will buy you a perfectly good acceptable scope for hunting. We all have our personal favourites (and you will hear them as this thread goes alon), but anything in that price range from Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, Burris, Redfield, etc. will do you just fine.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:24 PM

Should i go for something that is stronger then 3x12? ive seen some 6x32? As for the eye relief is bigger better (44mm)?
Old 08-14-2013, 12:24 PM

Default Scope

I personally would be looking at a leupold in the vx1 or vx2 line in either a 3-9x40 or 4-12x40. The first 2 numbers are the variable zoom ratios the scope has and the last number is the objective lens diameter in mm. The larger the last number theoretically the better in low light although bigger than about 40mm forces you to usually mount the scope in taller rings
Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Should i go for something that is stronger then 3x12? ive seen some 6x32? As for the eye relief is bigger better (44mm)?
6x32 means that it is not adjustable, just 6 power, and has a smaller objective that lets in less light than a 40mm or a 44mm. Some folks like single power scopes but they are not common these days.

You don't need a more powerful scope than 3-12 for big game hunting unless you are planning pretty long shots. You are obviously a beginner so I'd say no, don't get anything more powerful.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 PM

I have 3-9 and 4-12 and both work just fine for hunting rifles.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
eye relief is the distance from your eye to the scope. Too little and you get the scope in the eye when it recoils.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 PM

LOL my bad, wrong wording i meant the objective lense.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:52 PM

read these..............

http://www.theriflescopestore.com/howtochsc.html

this one has 15 pages.......hit "next" to go to the next page.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/ho...html?section=6
Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 PM

Get an FX-II Leupold 4x33mm and you'll have a solid all-rounder that suits most rifles fine with good focus near and far.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 PM

If I had 400 for a scope pretty sure it would be spent on a Leupold VXII.

Does your budget include rings and bases those can run you $50-$150 depending on what you pick.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:10 AM

I put the VX-II 3-9x40mm up against the FX-II 4x33mm at 50 yards. The 4x33mm was clearer, brighter and sharper. I sold the VX-II.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:43 AM

Have a look at vortex optics. You can get a very nice scope for $400.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod277430.html
Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthygeezer View Post
I put the VX-II 3-9x40mm up against the FX-II 4x33mm at 50 yards. The 4x33mm was clearer, brighter and sharper. I sold the VX-II.
And how were they when you compared them at 350 yards? I suspect you can see the target zone on your game at that range a little better with the VX.

While you may think it was brighter (we all see slightly differently of course) , I'd question how a 33mm objective could be noticably brighter than a 40mm from the same manufacturer in the same series/price-point.

A VXII is plenty bright and sharp for any practical hunting uses.

Last edited by Okotokian; 08-15-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 AM

There are a lot of good scopes being sold here on AO. With your $400-$450 budget you should have no problems picking up a nice scope or maybe even 2, depending on the sellers motivation level.

You can not go wrong with the Leupold line; especially with the warranty service with Korth being so close in, Okotoks.
The Leupold VXII 3x9x40mm is my favorite. Bass Pro has them in their flyer for $350.

Keep reading the "Optics For Sale" thread for scope info and those good deals; as there is a lot of knowledgeable members here.

Note; Be reminded that if you if you buy any optics made or distributed other than in Canada expect ordering/service delays.
I once waited over 6 months for a pair of Bushnell binoculars to be sent back from the USA......
Good luck....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:57 AM

Go get a VX 2 from bass pro now. Great prices right now. I have been watching prices very closely and that's the best deal this year. I got a leupold on my 7mm and love it. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 PM

All the great info, 1 constant most people are reccomending the VX 2 so thats in the running right now. Though the guy at my range tried to convince me that anything lower then 600-800$ on a scope on a 7mm rem mag wont last very long.... not sure if hes full of **** or not?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
All the great info, 1 constant most people are reccomending the VX 2 so thats in the running right now. Though the guy at my range tried to convince me that anything lower then 600-800$ on a scope on a 7mm rem mag wont last very long.... not sure if hes full of **** or not?

Lol! Yep that fellow is full of ****.

You can't go wrong with a vx2.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:36 PM

I have a leupold vx1, I love it! Great looking peice and works like a charm
Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
If fellow tells you that you need to spend more than $600- $800 to get "high quality glass", that may be a defendable statement, depending on your definiton of "quality" and how crystal clear you need things to be. A Mercedes is a higher quality car than a Ford Fusion. But will a Fusion fulfill your transportation need to get from point A to point B reliably and safely? Of course it will.

But the guy who tells you that you need to spend $800 to get something that will last more than a few years simply doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. I suspect he works at a big box gun counter.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Have a look at Camo fire they have a zies conquest 3.5x10x44 on sale right now at 44% off for 499$ an awsome buy in my world
Old 08-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
And how were they when you compared them at 350 yards? I suspect you can see the target zone on your game at that range a little better with the VX.

While you may think it was brighter (we all see slightly differently of course) , I'd question how a 33mm objective could be noticably brighter than a 40mm from the same manufacturer in the same series/price-point.

A VXII is plenty bright and sharp for any practical hunting uses.
Simple. Same reason a 50mm fixed camera lens is sharper and brighter than a 28-135mm zoom lens: less glass and less optical gymnastics to fit the focal length range.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthygeezer View Post
Simple. Same reason a 50mm fixed camera lens is sharper and brighter than a 28-135mm zoom lens: less glass and less optical gymnastics to fit the focal length range.
That's true. But the former isn't very practical if you want to take a picture of a subject a few hundred yards away, right? That clarity isn't going to reveal much detail when distances are great, will it?

Your fixed four power may indeed have more clarity, but for what practical purpose? Can you not see game clearly enough to hunt with a good quality variable power scope? Come on... and the variable power gives you more flexibility to hunt at greater ranges.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Have a look at Camo fire they have a zies conquest 3.5x10x44 on sale right now at 44% off for 499$ an awsome buy in my world
Too bad you cannot legally get it across the border without all the proper permits.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
Too bad you cannot legally get it across the border without all the proper permits.
I did not know that there was a restriction on optic's...i went on to my account and followed through like i was purchasing with my billing address and it looks like it would go through with a 73$ shipping fee
Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM

Leupold 6x42, used of course, $350, will be the last scope you'll need on that rifle, or any one for that matter in regard to hunting.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I did not know that there was a restriction on optic's...i went on to my account and followed through like i was purchasing with my billing address and it looks like it would go through with a 73$ shipping fee
Check out this link

http://www.opticsplanet.com/export.html
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
That's true. But the former isn't very practical if you want to take a picture of a subject a few hundred yards away, right? That clarity isn't going to reveal much detail when distances are great, will it?

Your fixed four power may indeed have more clarity, but for what practical purpose? Can you not see game clearly enough to hunt with a good quality variable power scope? Come on... and the variable power gives you more flexibility to hunt at greater ranges.
That's a very good point. However, I'm not sure it will help you shoot any better. I had just finished reading this article about 1000 yard shooters with irons doing just as well as their scoped counterparts, when I posted. From personal experience, I think magnification is overrated. Although I shoot 16x often when doing 50 yard rimfire.

But what are the tradeoffs to a nice compact rugged scope? Will it make that much difference at 350 yards with a deer to moose - sized object? I don't know. I had no trouble at 200 m with a 2.5x scope. Matter of fact, I watched a guy with a rimfire bang an 8 inch plate offhand at 200 m at the same magnification. He didn't miss much even with the bullet drop. "I know my rifle.", he said.

I think 300 yards with a 4x or 400 with a fixed 6x shouldn't be that tough, and also think that shots farther than 400 are pushing things a bit.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 AM

Thanks for all the info guys im probably gonna go with the VX-II, Thanks