Anyone buy a new Versa Max ....any thoughts ,I'm thinking new auto loader

Thnx. W101
Old 08-10-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Anyone buy a new Versa Max ....any thoughts ,I'm thinking new auto loader

Thnx. W101
I got to shoot one last fall.
Besides the stock shim kit missing, and the fit being a bit off for me I managed a limit of ducks with it.
Also I pulled the plug, and cycled, a 1-1/8oz light field load of 7-1/2's, then a 1-1/4oz, of lead 4's, followed by a 3", 1-1/8oz steel 2's, then a 3-1/2" 1-3/8oz steel BB's, when the smoke cleared, it showed the hulls laying on the ground with the light load closest and the 3-1/2"er farthest, more or less in a straight line running right and forward at about 30 degrees from me.
Cycled them like nobodies business.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-10-2013, 04:57 PM

I haven't tried one but researched them as I like the way the Remington shotguns fit. It seems after a minor issue in the first run, they have been awesome to everyone that commented on other boards.

Again, this is second hand internet info but I would purchase one based on the reading I have done.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:41 AM

Thats on the want list, and soon to be on the got it list. My buddy has one and I cant believe how it eats all ammo lengths and doesnt even hiccup or fart. He has had zero problems with it and claims to have over 5000 rounds through it. Im sold on it.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 PM

Default Bought one

I wanted the black synthetic....26" barrel....checkering ...etc.

Found one ...wss ......went there ,nope the guy at the counter says
Looks on the computer, still no ,he says just a minute .....

After a while.....here he comes ...1only ....just like I wanted ....I usually
Like to shop till I drop ......but something told me , pull the trigger ...

Come on duckys......
Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM

i bought one right before last season. used on ducks a fair bit with no problem and since this spring have put well over 500 rounds of light target loads through it. never had an issue yet and im actually rather surprised by that. you do want to clean them after a good shooting or just clean them after you shoot anytime. the gas pistons do get pretty fouled up for powder residue. but they are very easy to take apart with just your hands and a small pin punch. i dont think you can go wrong with the Versa Max as an all round shotgun for a reasonable price.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:29 PM

Have a buddy that luvs his, shot it. functions good, typical remington feel.
IMO best bang under $1000 is the new Beretta a300 for under $900 that just hit shelves about a month ago.

Bought the A400 and once I shot it, had to have it. Been shooting shotties for 35 years and best auto yet!! only gun shot that I dont have to keep reacquiring target and with 3 dampeners, for us old people, it is appreciated.

for price range of the versa max, if your stuck on spending that dollar amount, not lower or higher, pretty hard not to seriously look at the browning or SX3 although I would go for the browning at that price, but thats just me
Old 08-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Gone Hunting

I purchased the Versa Max pretty much as soon as it came out, which was about 6 months after that in the US. I really liked the gun, good price point, felt nice and I used it the whole first season. However I did encounter some problems with mine. The firing pin retainig pin would not stay in the bolt I first noticed it shooting clays at about 200 rounds. Gun jamed up solid, got it all straightend away and they duck season started, I had two more failuers with it over the season.

Ever 3 or 4 shots I would have to check and push that pin back in place, there is a long time running thread on shotgun world and there have only been mayeb a hand full of these guns that have done this. Remington was very good and took the gun back replacing everything new for me not just fixing it. By this time the A400 came out and that was a no brainer, like Pixel said once I seen it I had to have it. Great gun but a bit more money. My Versa Max would cycle everything I put thru it from 7/8 #8 to 3 1/2's but she just would not stay together, I did not even take the new one out of the box, I couldn't risk getting another bad one so I traded it in.

They may have fixed every problem with them now but there were some minor first and second run problems. I found the thread see below.

This one is a long read but has everything you will ever want to know, my problems with pics are in this thread sorry can't remember the page but if you have a case of beer and a free evenign you"ll find it.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...?f=55&t=244957

Another thread supporting my porblem
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...?f=55&t=286510

Good luck on gun choice I am sure you will enjoy what ever you pick.

Later
Phil
Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Gone Hunting

My thread on the A400 incase you are interested.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...?f=57&t=287495

Later
Phil
Old 08-16-2013, 01:59 PM

Default Checked out

No recall on these...
Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Nope not a recall, I think the first run was the only recall and for what it was I can't remember it is in that long thread.

Later
Phil
Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Bought the A400 and once I shot it, had to have it. Been shooting shotties for 35 years and best auto yet!! only gun shot that I dont have to keep reacquiring target and with 3 dampeners, for us old people, it is appreciated.
Yup I love the thing. Shot a buddy's and ordered one of my own. Hope its here for the opener!!