Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: Should handgun hunting be permitted?
yes, unrestricted. 120 51.50%
yes, but with special testing requirements. 51 21.89%
yes, but only for grouse. 1 0.43%
yes, but within it's own season. 14 6.01%
yes, but within the primitive season 9 3.86%
yes, but only for grouse. 0 0%
no. never. 35 15.02%
undecided. 11 4.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Banned

Default Shoud handgun hunting be licened and teted?

There has been a long debate over handgun hunting. There are many view points. Some want unrestricted rights to handgun hunt. Others are totally against it. And others believe there should be some testing and licensing before you can handgun hunt.

What do you think?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM
sheephunter

I think you forgot one option...

Yes....with cartridge restrictions.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

good point.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Gone Hunting

You also left out special restrictions for left handed shooters and people under 5 foot 3 inches.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Minimum size for big game

Other than that, hunt.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:13 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Minimum size for big game

Other than that, hunt.
Ya, that's what I meant!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Had a neighbour years ago who owned a Ruger single six in a 22 mag. He told me it was great gun for killing deer. Head shots at 100yds. DRT. He said it had very little recoil. Is this true or was he BSing. I thought the recoil would be more.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

As long as it is .224 cal and up I am for that
Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM

If they ever allow handgun hunting then we will have the LGR back then...

The argument based on getting rid of the LGR was that it was painting hunters and farmers as potential criminals....

While it is cool to have as another hunting option...There would be huge ramifications... Handguns are legal for special purposes and have special restrictions and if we bring them over to the hunting side of the line then anything used for hunting including archery tackle will be painted Liberally with the same brush!.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
If they ever allow handgun hunting then we will have the LGR back then...

The argument based on getting rid of the LGR was that it was painting hunters and farmers as potential criminals....
Are you insinuating that all handgun owners are potential criminals?

The argument for getting rid of the LGR was that it served no useful purpose, and that it was a waste of the taxpayers money.

Quote:
While it is cool to have as another hunting option...There would be huge ramifications... Handguns are legal for special purposes and have special restrictions and if we bring them over to the hunting side of the line then anything used for hunting including archery tackle will be painted Liberally with the same brush!.
Your theory is badly lacking in reason, and and common sense.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-30-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Had a neighbour years ago who owned a Ruger single six in a 22 mag. He told me it was great gun for killing deer. Head shots at 100yds. DRT. He said it had very little recoil. Is this true or was he BSing. I thought the recoil would be more.
not knowing the shooter I would take that with a pound of salt as I have the same gun and have no problem at fifty yards never tried a hundred yard shot or ever shot it at a live animal but the recoil is super light not much more than standard 22lr. if a person sighted for 100 yards totally possible, I guess
Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 PM

With it's own season or with special handgun-only tags, sure.

Cartridge restrictions on the big game is a must, though. Sure you can kill a deer with a .22LR, but is that really the way to go about it? A hunter's duty is as swift a kill as possible.

Use a suitable cartridge for the game being hunted, handgun or long gun.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Gone Hunting

alot of deer killed every year with a .223

Old 12-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Handguns shouldn't be any more restricted then rifles. So basically they should follow the same caliber restrictions.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
With it's own season or with special handgun-only tags, sure.
So which season do you propose should be shortened to allow a special handgun season? Where should the tags be reduced, to make up for the special handgun tags?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
Handguns shouldn't be any more restricted then rifles. So basically they should follow the same caliber restrictions.
wrong there are to manny large cal handgun cartridge that are under powerd for big game hunting such as the 38 long, 38 special, and 25auto,32 auto and the list is a mile long, most people wuold not even concider hunting big game with an under powerd cartridge but if you don't have a cartridge restriction some one will try hunting with under power gun but then if shooting treed cats just about any thing that shoots wuold be more than enuogh but for the most part hunters would no what is exceptable to there style of hunting. that is a loaded question.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:01 PM

I'm not a hand gun fan at all, and I do know very very little about them. I feel like they are just so easy to point and shoot that I believe they open up a big window for bad decisions to be made. It takes a few seconds to line up a rifle on a target, while it's just a fraction of a second for some to put a pistol on target.
I know some of you folks will disagree, thats just my opinion.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface2feather View Post
I'm not a hand gun fan at all, and I do know very very little about them. I feel like they are just so easy to point and shoot that I believe they open up a big window for bad decisions to be made. It takes a few seconds to line up a rifle on a target, while it's just a fraction of a second for some to put a pistol on target.
I know some of you folks will disagree, thats just my opinion.
most of the pistols used for big game have 12in barrel or better you should look at TC single shot pistols 12, 14, 16, inch barrels and chamberd in rifle cartridges these are long range pistols not your home defence guns that most people think of when some one brings up the subject of hand guns.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
'm not a hand gun fan at all, and I do know very very little about them. I feel like they are just so easy to point and shoot that I believe they open up a big window for bad decisions to be made. It takes a few seconds to line up a rifle on a target, while it's just a fraction of a second for some to put a pistol on target.
You are right, you do know very,very little about handguns. They aren't really any faster to line up on a target and shoot. In fact, it is actually more difficult to precisely line up a handgun on a target. Most first time handgun shooters are amazed at how difficult it is to be accurate with a handgun. They watch TV or play video games, and assume that it's as easy in real life, it isn't.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-30-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You are right, you do know very,very little about handguns. They aren't really any faster to line up on a target and shoot. In fact, it is actually more difficult to precisely line up a handgun on a target. Most first time handgun shooters are amazed at how difficult it is to be accurate with a handgun. They watch TV or play video games, and assume that it's as easy in real life, it isn't.
Im not implying that anybody can pick up a handgun and be a marksman, but what I am saying is that they can be shot more readily then a rifle. I've probably only shot 50 rounds with a handgun in my life, and 1000's with a rifle and shotgun. I didn't have any expectations when I shot one based on video games or tv shows, I respect weapons to much to make a decision like that, and play enough video games to know that they are certainly not based on any sort of reality.

Though they wouldn't be accurate shots I think most people could be sending bullets in the direction of the intended target in a shorter time with a pistol then with rifle or shotgun.

I do also feel like that policing this would be difficult. It would open up a ton of grey areas where people are traveling with hand guns. If all a person had to do was buy a deer tag to travel around the country with a pistol in their truck that could open up a world of disasterous scenarios. That doesn't mean such things can't happen now, and I am certainly not trying to draw a negative view on hunters as I know that many of you are law abiding and would never in your lives have negative intentions in mind while carrying a pistol. But with that, their is always that group of people that leech on these grey areas, and open up that opportunity for disaster. Even for something as basic and simple as an irresponsible idiot shooting up roadsigns, or poaching. (I would not consider such people hunters at all, but they like anybody else are allowed to buy tags) And though that is an example of something that can be done with any weapon, I do believe that it would be more 'fun' and more likely to happen if pistols were legal to carry. I think that a pistols use can be more influenced by impulse then a long barrelled weapon where a simple miscommunication or altercation between 2 people could more easily escalate to a fatality.

I can't be the only one that feels this way, or some derivative of what I'm saying...because if I were the only one handguns probably wouldn't be restricted as it is.

It is ok for us to disagree, I'm not trying to make you believe my opinion, I just hope you understand mine.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Default forgot something :)

I also believe that the comparison of how pistols relate to video games may slo draw the wrong kind of crowd to the sport. It may even be like a real life video game to some-a way to unload a clip into a real living target. I hate having these thoughts and creating hypothetical situations but watching the news any give night can bring merit and possibility to anything I have said. Again just trying to offer understanding to my view, not arguing to change anybody elses.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Im not implying that anybody can pick up a handgun and be a marksman, but what I am saying is that they can be shot more readily then a rifle. I've probably only shot 50 rounds with a handgun in my life, and 1000's with a rifle and shotgun. I didn't have any expectations when I shot one based on video games or tv shows, I respect weapons to much to make a decision like that, and play enough video games to know that they are certainly not based on any sort of reality.

Though they wouldn't be accurate shots I think most people could be sending bullets in the direction of the intended target in a shorter time with a pistol then with rifle or shotgun.

I do also feel like that policing this would be difficult. It would open up a ton of grey areas where people are traveling with hand guns. If all a person had to do was buy a deer tag to travel around the country with a pistol in their truck that could open up a world of disasterous scenarios. That doesn't mean such things can't happen now, and I am certainly not trying to draw a negative view on hunters as I know that many of you are law abiding and would never in your lives have negative intentions in mind while carrying a pistol. But with that, their is always that group of people that leech on these grey areas, and open up that opportunity for disaster. Even for something as basic and simple as an irresponsible idiot shooting up roadsigns, or poaching. (I would not consider such people hunters at all, but they like anybody else are allowed to buy tags) And though that is an example of something that can be done with any weapon, I do believe that it would be more 'fun' and more likely to happen if pistols were legal to carry. I think that a pistols use can be more influenced by impulse then a long barrelled weapon where a simple miscommunication or altercation between 2 people could more easily escalate to a fatality.

I can't be the only one that feels this way, or some derivative of what I'm saying...because if I were the only one handguns probably wouldn't be restricted as it is.

It is ok for us to disagree, I'm not trying to make you believe my opinion, I just hope you understand mine.
escalate to a fatality, the same can be said for base ball bats ,knives, cars, and the list goes on forever, handgun is a piece of equipment like any other piece of equipment if you don't know how to use it you cuold hurt your self or some body else & your not the only one to feel that way most that don't understand a piece of equipment have irrational fears of it.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
You are right, there are many fear mongers out there ,that are afraid that the number of shootings would suddenly sky rocket, and there would be a trail of corpses if the restrictions on handguns were eased in any way. That fear mongering is how the government got such restrictive laws passed in the first place. That is the kind of thinking that resulted in the long gun registry coming to being. However some of choose not to let those unfounded fears rule our lives. We wrote letters, and sent e-mails to our MPs, and told them what a useless waste of money the long gun registry was, and as a result, it is on the way out. Now we are looking at more reforms for our archaic firearms laws, and even if some paranoid firearms owners oppose our efforts, we are still going to try to get some of those laws changed.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-30-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:10 PM

The americans have a season for handgun hunting. So we should have the same right...

a Deer and a bear season.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:17 PM

Default good on ya

Hopefuly you are able to. I honestly mean that. I don't live in fear either elk, and I do agree with you in all of what you say about how overboard and inefficient our gun registry is. I just don't like pistols, and I can't say I even know a lot of pistol owners either. But I've met a few and those few are rambo type people who would perfectly demonstrate everything baf about pistol hunting, I guess my upbringing combined with my limited experience form my opinion on the subject, and that's how it stands for now. But I'm not set in my ways on the topic. You do seem more educated on the topic then me and am quite willing to admit that, maybe I can be taught something here and my view will change.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
But I've met a few and those few are rambo type people who would perfectly demonstrate everything baf about pistol hunting,
I have met the same type of people that demonstrate everything bad about rifle hunting, but I am not trying to put a stop to all rifle hunting. It's about the people, not the weapon.

Quote:
I guess my upbringing combined with my limited experience form my opinion on the subject, and that's how it stands for now. But I'm not set in my ways on the topic. You do seem more educated on the topic then me and am quite willing to admit that, maybe I can be taught something here and my view will change.
At least you are willing to consider that handgun hunting might not lead to the terrible horrors that some people on this forum are advocating. It's lucky there aren't more people with that attitude, or we would not have been able to make the progress we have with abolishing the long gun registry. I am actually thinking that some of those people would prefer that it remain permanently.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Hopefuly you are able to. I honestly mean that. I don't live in fear either elk, and I do agree with you in all of what you say about how overboard and inefficient our gun registry is. I just don't like pistols, and I can't say I even know a lot of pistol owners either. But I've met a few and those few are rambo type people who would perfectly demonstrate everything baf about pistol hunting, I guess my upbringing combined with my limited experience form my opinion on the subject, and that's how it stands for now. But I'm not set in my ways on the topic. You do seem more educated on the topic then me and am quite willing to admit that, maybe I can be taught something here and my view will change.
if you get a chance go to an out door range when there shooting silhouettes with pistols bigger than 22s the indoor ranges are mostly home defence type hand guns but even they wuold give you a good idea of what it is about and I would bet that you know a lot more pistol shooters than you think as most of use don't usualy have any reason to tell any one that we are handgun shooter is just something that does not usualy comes up in normal day to day conversations. and you will also find that most of your pistol shooters are of the older crowd 35+ but we definitly need younger shooters so if you have any interest in pistol shooting check it out. its a great sport and there are a lot of diffrent types of pistol shooting.precision target shooting,combat style shooting, silhouettes shooting and the list goes on. but you should give it a try. my self its precision target shooting but every body has diffrent tastes.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 PM

To draw a comparison let's change 'handgun' to 'automobile', and 'hunting' to 'driving'. There are people who prove they shouldn't be behind the wheel, but we don't punish the good drivers by entirely banning driving motor vehicles due to the incompetence of some idiots. Quite frankly you're statistically much more likely to be killed by a bad driver than by some yahoo wih a firearm; does this fact keep you off the streets?

Handgun hunting should be legal, with just a few stipulations regarding adequate calibres for big game. Instead of bullet diameters though; perhaps it could be rated by the ft/lbs of energy potential in a cartridge; or some combination thereof.

You have : "Yes, but only for grouse" in the choices twice, that's gonna skew your statistics
And your title can always be edited by double clicking to the right of the thread title text when on the "General Discussion" page.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 PM

I am also in full agreement with unrestricted use with the caveat of caliber restriction, that's a no-brainer given the fact that we already endorse that with long gun hunting for big game.

For the people that are skeptical about the use of handguns for hunting, take an honest look at the regions that permit the use of them now and then conclude the reality of such an opportunity. Unfortunately, we as Canadians are even more subjected to the glamourized protrayal of handguns since it's not a part of our daily reality. Evidence from those areas that permit these priviledges show it to not be a detriment to the state of the population.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

So big hammer or small hammer which scares you most. It is easier to swing a tack hammer than a 12 lb sledge, but for some silly reason I'd rather have a tack hammer in the hands of all the closet psychos just waiting for a chance to run amok and slaughter everyone.

I know it doesn't make sense but that's just me and my opinion. That's ok right?