Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
So, just so we're clear, you're okay with a women carrying a pistol but not a man?
Gray area. I'm not sure what the stats are for women getting drunk at the bar and blowing their boyfriend's head off.

Ill-informed as I am on that particular issue I won't say for definate one way or the other but just on general principle a 130lb woman walking alone at night needs more protection than a 200lb man. Not that men never get mugged...
Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBB View Post
How do you Feel About Handgun Restrictions?
I think that this was the title for this thread.....

Just because you don't like my opinion.......again, my opinion, you need to start throwing insults and innuendos around.
There have been some good facts that I have learned some new information. I didn't reply back with a statistical barrage because that's not what the post asked.

So, time for you to go back and mingle with your cousins ...geez

and yes, I did witness an armed robbery in NYC and I do know what huntnstuff does, mr deceased friend used to work with him!
You posted your "opinion" on an open forum, then proceeded to back it up with emotional anecdotes. What did you expect was going to happen?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
Gray area. I'm not sure what the stats are for women getting drunk at the bar and blowing their boyfriend's head off.

Ill-informed as I am on that particular issue I won't say for definate one way or the other but just on general principle a 130lb woman walking alone at night needs more protection than a 200lb man. Not that men never get mugged...
What are the stats for men getting drunk at the bar and blowing their girlfriends heads off. In some of the CCW states, carry was outlawed in drinking establishments. As time progresses the laws are being relaxed, so you can carry but not drink, at the same time. The blood the anti's claim will run in the streets has still failed to materialize.

I use the US as an example because they have the most variety of laws, the most data, and we share a common language.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 PM

I at least think we should start with allowing 22 handguns on private property greater than 20 acres in size to shoot gophers and such.

It is ridiculous that it is a federal offence if I were to shoot gophers with a 22 handgun on private property. I can think of a lot of crimes that are a whole lot worse.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
What are the stats for men getting drunk at the bar and blowing their girlfriends heads off. In some of the CCW states, carry was outlawed in drinking establishments. As time progresses the laws are being relaxed, so you can carry but not drink, at the same time. The blood the anti's claim will run in the streets has still failed to materialize.

I use the US as an example because they have the most variety of laws, the most data, and we share a common language.
I'll admit that I don't know what the stats are on either of those things; there's just a perception that men get drunk and violent more often than women do and if they have access to a gun they may use it.

Actually being drunk doesn't even have to factor into it, maybe some guy who just got fired from his job gets t-boned by another guy at an intersection and snaps.

And again these are scenarios that might happen which I guess is the same justification the law makers are probably using. Perhaps on average carrying a gun in public does no harm at all.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 858king View Post
This isn't Tennessee and we're not the United States, and they aren't us. If you want their laws and way of life, move there. If you feel comfortable knowing your tweaking methamphetamine neighbour has his personal gun rights protected, by all means then party on. Because in the grand ol' Opry, your criminal neighbours rights are as protected as yours, and the rule of the gun wins in a dispute.

I don't think people get that gun rules have as much to do with law breakers as they do with law keepers and the non-shooting public in general.
The difference would be we have licencing requirements and background checks, joe blow that knows squat about guns cant just walk into a store and buy a Glock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...ate)#Tennessee

Last edited by SkytopBrewster; 11-09-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Banned

keep the handgun registry but get rid of ATT and range restrictions. handguns are what criminals want because they can carry them anywhere so keeping the registry will deter them from getting there hands on them, the difference between long guns and pistols is that you can't just carry a long gun around without anyone noticing. but i don't really see any benefit to restricting their legitimate use to shooting ranges, lots of people target shoot out in the bush or at their house.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycr125 View Post
keep the handgun registry but get rid of ATT and range restrictions. handguns are what criminals want because they can carry them anywhere so keeping the registry will deter them from getting there hands on them, the difference between long guns and pistols is that you can't just carry a long gun around without anyone noticing. but i don't really see any benefit to restricting their legitimate use to shooting ranges, lots of people target shoot out in the bush or at their house.
Just how do you propose that a handgun registry keeps handguns out of the hands of criminals? We have 70+ years of evidence to the contrary.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I'll admit that I don't know what the stats are on either of those things; there's just a perception that men get drunk and violent more often than women do and if they have access to a gun they may use it.

Actually being drunk doesn't even have to factor into it, maybe some guy who just got fired from his job gets t-boned by another guy at an intersection and snaps.

And again these are scenarios that might happen which I guess is the same justification the law makers are probably using. Perhaps on average carrying a gun in public does no harm at all.
Funny, those are exactly the arguments so many afraid of CCW in the states used, yet as more and more states go to shall issue laws, these fears don't play out.

In Texas CCW holders have a lower rate of criminal activity then the police, I suspect that holds true for a lot of places. The blood in the street didn't happen.

CCW is actually a great thing if guys get drunk and violent, it means there girlfriend might actually have an option of stopping the guy. Generally speaking in a physical altercation, most women will not fair well against a man, who is generally larger and stronger. A handgun on her person changes that balance drastically. The very things you are afraid of are the things I want CCW to counteract.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycr125 View Post
Handguns being registered does not prevent them from being stolen. I'd like to throw this out there, According to the RCMP the registry data has been hacked 480 times, those are the ones they know about. With it being hacked maybe the registry is telling criminals where the guns are so they can be stolen. There is a good possibility the registry helps create crime. The RCMP are never going to admit finding evidence from a theft that the registry was used. That would kill their golden goose.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
Funny, those are exactly the arguments so many afraid of CCW in the states used, yet as more and more states go to shall issue laws, these fears don't play out.

In Texas CCW holders have a lower rate of criminal activity then the police, I suspect that holds true for a lot of places. The blood in the street didn't happen.

CCW is actually a great thing if guys get drunk and violent, it means there girlfriend might actually have an option of stopping the guy. Generally speaking in a physical altercation, most women will not fair well against a man, who is generally larger and stronger. A handgun on her person changes that balance drastically. The very things you are afraid of are the things I want CCW to counteract.
I guess it's really all about seeing the balance. The lawmakers and the soccer moms may only perceive people running around with guns and possibly committing crimes with them. On the other hand alot of crimes may be prevented by civilians being able to carry guns in public.

Depends on ideals vs reality I suppose. If no one had guns (yeah right) then there would be no crimes committed with them. That's what the lawmakers are going for, they're just not capable of enforcing it. In reality the criminals will have guns regardless or atleast a knife and their victims aren't currently allowed to carry guns and may not be able to handle a knife.

Interesting...
Old 11-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I guess it's really all about seeing the balance. The lawmakers and the soccer moms may only perceive people running around with guns and possibly committing crimes with them. On the other hand alot of crimes may be prevented by civilians being able to carry guns in public.

Depends on ideals vs reality I suppose. If no one had guns (yeah right) then there would be no crimes committed with them. That's what the lawmakers are going for, they're just not capable of enforcing it. In reality the criminals will have guns regardless or atleast a knife and their victims aren't currently allowed to carry guns and may not be able to handle a knife.

Interesting...
That is an excellent summation of the entire gun control debate.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Interesting...
While it may be true that if there were no guns, there would be no crime committed with them, but it's not true that there would be no crime, and that seems to be the equation the anti gunners are really trying to push. However a brief look at the history of civilization will show you that we live in a much more peaceful society since guns have come to being common place, then we lived in before. Before firearms the strongest got their way, women were considered chattel because they basically had to give themselves fully to a man who could protect them, or they were available for whatever man wondered by and was strong enough to enforce his will.

All these people who think getting rid of firearms would make our society crime free, should try living in a society without firearms for a little while.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
In some of the CCW states, carry was outlawed in drinking establishments. As time progresses the laws are being relaxed, so you can carry but not drink, at the same time. The blood the anti's claim will run in the streets has still failed to materialize.
given the difference in homicide rates between the US and Canada some would disagree with you on your last statement.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
given the difference in homicide rates between the US and Canada some would disagree with you on your last statement.
Take a look at them state by state, and compare to their firearms laws.

Washington DC before the Heller case had some of, if not the most restrictive gun laws in the US, yet had a homicide rate that was something like 4 or 5 times the national average.

I'll go look for some stats and post them here if I find them.

Edit:

http://www.infoplease.com/us/statist...ate-state.html

This shows a murder rate of 21.9/100,000 for DC vs 11.2 for the next highest state.

This compared to Montana with 2.6 where anyone of legal age can open carry, and concealed carry anywhere except in town, and they can conceal there too, but need a permit.

Alaska has 4.4 and I don't believe there is any state restrictions at all.

If you were to go through every state, and compare the murder rates to the gun laws, you'd probably find very little correlation, as opposed to if you started to study demographics and social conditions.

For example Jamaica has a complete firearms ban, and one of the highest murder rates in the world. In 2005 they had 58 murders/100,000 people.

The only thing gun control does, is keep victims defenseless.

Last edited by Scar270; 11-09-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Washington DC before the Heller case had some of, if not the most restrictive gun laws in the US, yet had a homicide rate that was something like 4 or 5 times the national average.

Edit:

This shows a murder rate of 21.9/100,000 for DC vs 11.2 for the next highest
state.

This compared to Montana with 2.6 where anyone of legal age can open carry, and concealed carry anywhere except in town, and they can conceal there too, but need a permit.

If you were to go through every state, and compare the murder rates to the gun laws, you'd probably find very little correlation, as opposed to if you started to
study demographics and social conditions.

For example Jamaica has a complete firearms ban, and one of the highest murder rates in the world. In 2005 they had 58 murders/100,000 people.

Thank you for saving me the trouble of finding all that.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Default Oke....

Quote:

Edit:

This shows a murder rate of 21.9/100,000 for DC vs 11.2 for the next highest state.

If you were to go through every state, and compare the murder rates to the gun laws, you'd probably find very little correlation, as opposed to if you started to study demographics and social conditions.

Maybe you should read this one again and really think about it this time...
Old 11-09-2011, 07:21 PM

How do you Feel About Handgun Restrictions?

I am fine the way they are, I can target shoot when I want, have never been in a situation that I needed a handgun. I can buy and sell as any as I want, other than prohibs. Gopher hunting would be nice, but I have rifles and the bow for them anyway.
Handguns for me are a fad that has passed, used to load up to 1000 rnds a weekend for IPSC but that got boring and eventually too expensive.

Other interests and hobbies made handguns unimportant.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Tell you one thing if we could all have handguns and use them to protect are houses and familes the b&e rate would sure be on a decline.

"Beware of dog"

or

"beware of smith and wesson 500"
Old 11-09-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Handguns for me are a fad that has passed, used to load up to 1000 rnds a weekend for IPSC but that got boring and eventually too expensive.

Other interests and hobbies made handguns unimportant.
Shooting handguns wouldn't be boring if you could shoot them out at a farm or acreage or while camping. It is boring because you have to go to a range and shoot them.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear 666 View Post
Shooting handguns wouldn't be boring if you could shoot them out at a farm or acreage or while camping. It is boring because you have to go to a range and shoot them.
No, it's boring because I shot countless thousands of rounds over many years. I did shoot at a farm, ex buddy had handguns and we shot constantly. If you think that people don't shoot handguns at their country homes, you are very mistaken. I had an uncle that rode around his place with a 22 in his pocket while mowing the grass

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear 666 View Post
No, it's boring because I shot countless thousands of rounds over many years. I did shoot at a farm, ex buddy had handguns and we shot constantly. If you think that people don't shoot handguns at their country homes, you are very mistaken. I had an uncle that rode around his place with a 22 in his pocket while mowing the grass.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:08 PM

Hand Gun Restrictions...There should be some changes made. My possesion and acquisition license should be all I need to take a handgun to a range, shouldnt need another license to travel with it. I would like to hunt with my revolver, it would be a bit of a challenge. It would also be nice not to be afraid that one of my firearms would be reclassified merely because it looks scary.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 AM

Scar270, did you get your resolution in to your Zone?

Looking forward to voting on year 3!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 AM

I'm like Ken, can live with the current laws/regs. However, as someone posted earlier, if you are already checked out legally to get a PAL you shouldn't need to go through re-licencing and get an R-PAL. One licence is all you should need to buy anything a citizen can legally buy.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:16 AM

I would like to see the laws relaxed. No ATT, just your PAL is a good one. Shoot on your land or anywhere a rifle can be shot. Open carry in the bush while enjoying the great outdoors. Hunting with the big ones for big game would be fun. I guess even that I don't own them I would like the guys that do to enjoy them more. If I could hunt with them I would probably buy one again. If CCW was opened up with proper training I would look into that also. My wife likes that idea too.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
You should be able to buy a handgun, shoot the handgun on your private property, hunt with it, and carry it for your protection

Registration is only good for confiscation, so get rid of that too

Other than that, I really have no opinion
Amen Brother!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Scar270, did you get your resolution in to your Zone?

Looking forward to voting on year 3!
You bet, added a little more to the brief since people still don't seem to grasp the concept of antique, but it's there, we will get to see it in February, I know it got past Zone.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
You bet, added a little more to the brief since people still don't seem to grasp the concept of antique, but it's there, we will get to see it in February, I know it got past Zone.
I am sure it will get passed again. Now if we could get the province to pull its head out of its a.....

Did you include anything in the brief that might help the province get the point? They just keep saying "not our problem".
Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 PM

I tried, unfortunately based on the response from last year, I don't think they even read it. I sent a nasty letter to Mr. Oberle about the poor quality of the responses we got under Mr. Knight, and asked him to readdress some of the resolutions.

Unfortunately I think under Redford it wouldn't matter what Oberle is willing to give us, she is the woman who brought us body armor bans, and wants to drop DUI from .08 to .05. I don't see a nanny statist like that even considering allowing handgun hunting, but I hope I'm wrong.

At the very least we will have a standing request in when the Wildrose takes government.