Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And only a couple of posts that actually listed a caliber, the rest listed cartridges.
Quote:
Actually, if you read the first post,he stipulated that a person could have only one cartridge, but he specifically asked what caliber it would be. And then he himself listed a cartridge, instead of a caliber.
I don’t know why you continue to make such an issue out of this complete non issue.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-01-2020, 12:37 PM

My choice is the 30-06, ammo can be had that is suitable for anything from coyotes to elk and moose.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:00 PM

My do it all is a 6.5mm in a short action. I went with a 6.5 Sherman Shortmag. A mag fed short action with 140 gr bullets at 3248 fps. might switch to the 156 VLD this spring once ive used up my 140's
Old 04-01-2020, 01:56 PM

Default "one" gun

Such heresy!
I've always been a huge advocate of variety, but.........
If I could literally only pick ONE, I would have to push another vote out there for the 30-06. Excellent variety of bullets to cover anything in North America. Easy enough on recoil, and generally ammunition found in every sports store in the country.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I don’t know why you continue to make such an issue out of this complete non issue.
It is just as easy to use the correct terminology, as to use the wrong terminology. The same is true when people refer to loaded ammunition as " bullets", or when they mention "muzzle breaks" .
Old 04-01-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
It is just as easy to use the correct terminology, as to use the wrong terminology. The same is true when people refer to loaded ammunition as " bullets", or when they mention "muzzle breaks" .
It’s a hobby horse to ride. Not much else.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-01-2020, 02:38 PM

7MM RM ,22 250 ,223. are my main hunting rifles. Then again if it shoots well and it fits I really don't care what cartridge up to 338 win mag.

JD
Old 04-01-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
And only a couple of posts that actually listed a caliber, the rest listed cartridges.

Much more fun to specify 7mm Rem mag or 7mm STW or 7mm Weatherby vs just .284. Especially when one .284 can be infinitely superior over another.

It's like calling Camaros and Corvettes, "Chevrolets. Lumping them in with their boring Impala or Malibu kin. Clearly they are much more and as such deserve to be referred to in specific terms. Also not unlike lumping your 2 good looking dark haired kids in with the two red headed stepchildren you inherited in your second marriage. You might call it your "family" but you aren't kidding anybody. If the house is on fire with seconds to go, you're making sure the 2 darkhairs go out the window first.

In summary, the 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, and 7mm Weatherby are the Camaros, Corvettes, and dark haired kids. You can show them off, talk glowingly about them to friends, and proudly take them out in public.

The 7mm-08 and .280 are the Malibu's, Impalas, and freckled nerds that sunburn easily. Sure, they may get the job done, eventually, but why limit yourself to a cartridge you'll only use for solo hunting...at night...in Saskatchewan...while wearing a disguise?

I think it's important to distinguish royalty from the commonality.

Last edited by 270person; 04-01-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Much more fun to specify 7mm Rem mag or 7mm STW or 7mm Weatherby vs just .284. Especially when one .284 can be infinitely superior over another.

It's like calling Camaros and Corvettes, "Chevrolets. Lumping them in with their boring Impala or Malibu kin. Clearly they are much more and as such deserve to be referred to in specific terms. Also not unlike lumping your 2 good looking dark haired kids in with the two red headed stepchildren you inherited in your second marriage. You might call it your "family" but you aren't kidding anybody. If the house is on fire with seconds to go, you're making sure the 2 darkhairs go out the window first.

In summary, the 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, and 7mm Weatherby are the Camaros, Corvettes, and dark haired kids. You can show them off, talk glowingly about them to friends, and proudly take them out in public.

The 7mm-08 and .280 are the Malibu's, Impalas, and freckled nerds that sunburn easily. Sure, they may get the job done, eventually, but why limit yourself to a cartridge you'll only use for solo hunting...at night...in Saskatchewan...while wearing a disguise?
lol
Old 04-01-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
lol

. Please note no 6.5's were harmed during the construction of this diatribe. Would be very unfair of me to go after kids adopted from 3rd world countries.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:18 PM

OUCH, that's really harsh!
Lots of good folks in SK (and some monster white tail bucks, too).

Get all DRESSED UP and go hunting with a 7x57, or better yet a 7x57R, or best of all a .275 Rigby...…or a 7x61 Sharpe and Hart or a 7x64 Brenneke!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
. Please note no 6.5's were harmed during the construction of this diatribe. Would be very unfair of me to go after kids adopted from 3rd world countries.
Ah yes, the Sunfires…..
Old 04-01-2020, 06:25 PM

Default 30-06

And not because I've used or even had one, much prefer a 300 WM; or my most recent love affairs with the euro metrics. I'm currently shooting a custom 280.
But if I had to rely on a supply of ammunition, anywhere on our green earth, I'll bet I can find a box of 06 sitting on a shelf. Not too many countries that didn't use it for their military too, so the supply of cartridges should be endless. Maybe not your favourite brand but sufficient to make the rifle go pop.

Last edited by 1100winger; 04-01-2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, the Sunfires…..

Hahaha. That's not very flattering for Sunfire owners
Old 04-01-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
If only one gun for casual plinking , off the bench , Varmints and Big Game, make mine a modern 6.5 X 55 Swede.
X 2 For me
Old 04-01-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

Get all DRESSED UP and go hunting with a 7x57, or better yet a 7x57R, or best of all a .275 Rigby...…or a 7x61 Sharpe and Hart or a 7x64 Brenneke!

Just having some fun bud. I'm from Sask so no shots at that province ever. It was more about just being too embarrassed to hunt in your home province while lugging a Red Malibu.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
.30 cal 180 grain partition wrapped in a .300wby brass
This but I will take mine in the old holland design
Old 04-01-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Just having some fun bud. I'm from Sask so no shots at that province ever. It was more about just being too embarrassed to hunt in your home province while lugging a Red Malibu.
Thanks for the clarification!
I spent 5 years there and met my wonderful wife there...…...although we were both from Alberta!!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:06 PM

I'd have to go with the 338 win mag as well.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification!
I spent 5 years there and met my wonderful wife there...…...although we were both from Alberta!!
I spent a month there one weekend, lol.

My Dad's side is BC. My mom's side is Saskatchewan. In fact my great great uncle sat in Sask Parlimenr with Keifer Sutherlands grandfather to help introduce health care. My grandfather td.me.stories about sending the summers going in to the Sask parliament building and having free reign. He used to throw cherry bombs off the roof. Now, keep in mind that would've been the 30's so people weren't quite like they are today, but maybe him and his friend are part of the reason why, lol.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:19 PM

For me, I like short barrels, 20” is my max for the kind of hunting I do, and I prefer short actions. I like cartridge efficiency, especially from short barrel. I also shoot a decent amount each year, powder appetite must be manageable, magnums are out for me. For long days of target shooting, recoil is a factor, sorry 358 win. I’d have to say I’m a 308, and dare I say, 6.5 creedmoor guy. They are certainly not the best at any one thing, just excellent compromises of many things.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Cool. My pick would be .284". I have 4: 7-08, 280, 7STW and 7x61.

Economy, utility, performance and euro panache.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:57 PM

Well if a 7mm rem mag is a camero, then a 300WM is surely a 2500HD. Although I have a buick electra (308 win) and various other stuff in the garage, the 2500HD is what comes out when the weather gets rough.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FellSwoop View Post
Well if a 7mm rem mag is a camero, then a 300WM is surely a 2500HD. Although I have a buick electra (308 win) and various other stuff in the garage, the 2500HD is what comes out when the weather gets rough.
So I ask you this what is the cartridge version of the jacked up douch bag black dodge dually....complete with custom fit pool noodles and a set of silver nuts hanging off the trailer hitch?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-02-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So I ask you this what is the cartridge version of the jacked up douch bag black dodge dually....complete with custom fit pool noodles and a set of silver nuts hanging off the trailer hitch?
I dunno, 6.5Creedmooor ??
Cat
Old 04-02-2020, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I dunno, 6.5Creedmooor ??
Cat
I was thinking the guy who thinks he needs a 50 Beowolf to hunt deer from 2 miles..... With no Binoculars
Old 04-02-2020, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
For conversation sake... no sports, gatherings etc....BOREDOM...
...If you could have only one cartridge.
6.5x55
Old 04-02-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Except in this case the testicles are hanging over the comb.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:40 AM

The Caliber that I would like is the 375, I hope that helps those of you that don't want to know the cartridge.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Ya really, the ones you use in a 280AI, 7x57, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Express, and the .284Win.
I see.

Some could argue that the 6mm is ballistically superior to the 7mm.

Have you ever considered becoming Dick264 ?