Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 01:01 PM

Default Scope/receiver isues?

Help me figure this out!
I bought a used (but never shot) Savage Axis .308 for my upcoming sheep hunting trip. I mounted new bases, and a lightweight Leupold scope, thinking that this is the best combo for my needs. Sight it in with my laser boresighter...take a shot.. not on paper at 25 yards. Mess around repeatedly, and then go old school. Take the bolt out, and bore sight it manually. Scope crosshairs are exactly dead center of the target, and my visual boresight verifies this (and the laser verifies this too) Shoot again, and not on paper! walk up to about 15 yds, shoot, and I'm about a foot low and a foot to the right. Max out the adjustments, and I'm only marginally better.
So, obviously it's a rings or bases or scope issue right?
Change the rings to a better set, change the scope to another one I have (field proven Leupold)...shoot again....same result.
Back to the shop, switch the bases around..put it back together....scope is still boresighted perfect. Shoot at 25 yds...about a foot low, and a foot to the right!
Could the holes in the receiver be off?
If the laser is on the bullseye, and the scope is on the bullseye, how can it be hitting so far off? It doesn't make any sense to me! Could the barrel be warped somehow?
Now I leave for hunting on Friday morning and I have to borrow a buddy's gun or take a much heavier one up the mountain.
Any advice would be appreciated here, before I send this thing back to Savage or to a good gunsmith.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Banned

Ok, let me get this straight. You finally got a sheep tag, bought a used Axis and just a few days before your hunt, you question this rifle.....chambered in .308 nevertheless. Me thinks you'll have an unused sheep tag in the Christmas tree. LOL, no, not LOL, but LMFAO is more like it. Take your gun to a good gunsmith in the mean time and be satisfied with a WT doe as table fare this winter.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 PM

Ha ha, it's a general tag by the way... and my other rifles are fairly heavy, so I researched my options and the axis is very lightweight, and supposedly accurate, so I thought it was a good choice. And lets not get started on the debate that a .308 isn't enough gun for sheep....talk to the guys that build custom 280's or 7mm-08's and tell them that too. lol. I've mounted a lot of scopes, and I've had this one mounted for a while, just thought it'd be a simple boresight and fire a few shots, and good to go...which is what normally happens. But when I burn through a box of ammo and the problem isn't solved...it really pi$$#% me off!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Banned

Sorry. Can' t beof any help whatsoever.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:53 PM

Default Odd

Sounds like your doing everything right. Is your lazer bore sight tool a cartridge type that fits chamber? That might show an obviously bent barrel which sure would be odd. Is it a new rifle? I would count the clicks on the scope elevation and left to right and half them to essentially zero the scope internally then bore site it. It should not be off left or right my much, if it is, something in that barrel may be amiss. Odds are its something simple that may have gotten by you. If your in The North East you can bring it by the shop, PM me.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:31 PM

Sounds like savage used the same drill press as they did on my 17 hornet, have only three clicks left on leftward windage and bugger all on vertical up either, almost a foot out right and down at 20m. lapped mounts to no change, two different scopes, swapped mounts bases 180 deg, I am going to buy sum windage adjustable mounts next time in P&d. Mine showed way out with the lazer when I took it back to the shop..
check the crown isn't damaged.
Can't help with your problem, other than windage adjustable mount or wrap it round a tree and try get a M70 featherweight or similer.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
I am going to buy sum windage adjustable mounts next time in P&d. Mine showed way out with the lazer when I took it back to the shop..
Yup, windage adjustable bases, buy them and set the gun up.
Cat