Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
That's nice, just saying the Mini 14's I shot had trouble hitting an 11" X 11" target at 200 yds. But if coyote is in the front seat of pickup his arse is yours.
I was going to buy a mini 14 years ago . Tested a friends , horrible accuracy , not sure what mod number it was . Then I saw how much they were going for ! I expect a hell of alot better for $800-$1000!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

I've had two of the new so called "target models" with the fangdangled tuner thingamajig muffler thingy on the muzzle end come across my hands for tuning and what have you. My China SKS out shoots both of them. I'm not a fan of the SKS, mine was acquired for just plain fun at less than $200.00. Those target model mini-14's are just south of a grand. Heck, my Iwata airbrushes spray a tigher pattern than those POS. Even a mangy coyote deserves a quicker dispatch.

Some of you guys seem offended by negative opinions offered on this gun. The OP asked for exactly that, opinions. Not all are likely to meet your approval. No need to get all upset..

Last edited by gitrdun; 08-18-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:03 PM

Thanks so much for all suggestions and opinions - the arguments are helping me learn ahaha! This is exactly what I had hoped for to be honest - it brings to light some of the issues that pop up from experience - and you all have that - so thanks for being honest!

I honestly don't care if a Ruger mini 14 can or can not hit within a few inches at 100 yards. I only care if I can shoot a coyote within 100 - 250 yards. Being that the most likely distance would be about 150 yards (since the three that I've shot have been about that) - I can honestly say that with practice I'm sure I could hit a coyote with the mini 14 at that distance. Realistically they will be larger coyote anyways.

I think I've decided to put aside the Ruger desire for now and stick with bolt action. From suggestions and opinions I have come to the conclusion that there really isn't a point in spending 700 bucks (Or more) on something that could potentially be a hindrance on getting a coyote when I need to. My Savage .223 seems to be perfect for 300 yards for coyote, plus it'll save me money on rounds in the long run, be easier to maintain, more accurate, etc.

Maybe the real question I had from the start was - "Should I purchase a Mini Ruger 14 for coyote? Or should I purchase a decent scope for the .223 Savage that has already done well for me?"

I'm using the Bushnell 3-9x40 that came with the rifle - maybe if I got a scope for 200 - 300 dollars - I could justify the burning money in my pocket and manage to rid of the worry I have of missing a coyote or wounding one from a bad shot.

What do you guys think of that? Any suggestions on what type of scope I could get? I personally cannot justify spending more than 200 - 300 dollars on a scope - BUT - I can also appreciate the abundance of knowledge and experience on these forums! So please - let me know what you guys think would be a good scope for a SAVAGE .223 Remington - for coyote up to 300 yards - even 400 yards.

Thanks,
HD7970GHZ