Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-06-2020, 04:07 PM

Default Bullet Question, 308 plinking load

Hey all,
doing some loading for plinking when the weather gets nicer.
Is there any reason I shouldn't use these 110gr bullets, in a reduced load using Trailboss,for plinking at 100 yards?
https://www.budgetshootersupply.ca/p...gr-fmj-100bag/
Not to be used while hunting or any other activity than getting in trigger time on paper.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2020, 04:10 PM

Next question
Does anybody have any experience loading single buckshot pellets in 308 or 06 for plinking etc?
I have read about it and wondered if it might be a replacement for carrying a little badger in my pack
Old 04-06-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
Next question
Does anybody have any experience loading single buckshot pellets in 308 or 06 for plinking etc?
I have read about it and wondered if it might be a replacement for carrying a little badger in my pack
Some thing like this?
http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/
Old 04-06-2020, 04:40 PM

Subsonic 308 are fun and cheap. 13.0 gr of red dot over any weight bullet works. I have loaded as light as 5.0 gr for my 308 with heavy bullets only 180 gr +. Pretty sure trailboss would work as well just be careful of secondary explosive effect.
A quick search found 12 gr of trail boss would be perfect with the heavy bullets, not sure about the light for caliber bullets though
Old 04-06-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Subsonic 308 are fun and cheap. 13.0 gr of red dot over any weight bullet works. I have loaded as light as 5.0 gr for my 308 with heavy bullets only 180 gr +. Pretty sure trailboss would work as well just be careful of secondary explosive effect.
A quick search found 12 gr of trail boss would be perfect with the heavy bullets, not sure about the light for caliber bullets though
Good to know, I have read that red dot and trailboss for these type of loads are very similar. i have used trail boss for quite a while with decent results so I have stuck with it.
What is secondary explosive effect?
Old 04-06-2020, 05:52 PM

. The ultimate danger in subsonic loading is a phenomenon known as Secondary Explosive Effect (SEE). SEE can destroy the strongest rifle action and it can happen on the first shot or the tenth. In fact it is more likely to happen after the bore is dirty from the first few shots. SEE is the result of slow or incomplete ignition of small amounts of smokeless powder. The powder smolders and releases explosive gases which, when finally ignited, detonate in a high order explosion. The warning sign for imminent SEE is a hangfire or delayed ignition.There are a number of techniques that can be used to prevent or delay the onset of SEE. These involve specially prepared cases as well as bullets, in addition to selecting a suitable powder and primer.
Fluffy (low bulk density) powders like Red Dot take up much more room in the case. Load density is safety in a subsonic load. It is suggested that loads never go below 30 percent load density (powder occupies 30 percent of the case volume) unless you want to dance with the devil and SEE

Load density can be measured by dropping a length of wood dowel into the loaded case. Mark the dowel where it meets the case mouth. Then pull the dowel out and compare it against the case. Keep notes on load densities for every powder and case combination so that safe loads can be identified at a glance before they are loaded. Don't go below 30% load density!

Note this is copy and pasted off a post on snipers hide by Top Predator... His explanation is far better than mine
Old 04-06-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
Next question
I have made "chicken" loads for most of my center fires.
Use brass that has been fired in your gun to get a closer fit.
The low pressure will not expand the brass to form a seal.
Deprive without sizing, reprime.
Charge a small amount (5-8grs)of fast powder like red dot or similar.
Add some fibre fill stuffing to keep the powder again the primer.
Find the right size buck shot or swag down a slightly larger one to fit the caliber of choice.
You can shoot a ruffy in the body and not cause any meat damage.