Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 05:36 PM

Default What caliber....and why?

For conversation sake... no sports, gatherings etc....BOREDOM!
I'm curious to other people's answers.
So here's my question.
If you could have only one cartridge. For hunting, plinking or bench rest fun etc...What would that caliber be? And why?

I'll start. Mine would be 338 win mag. My primary reason I prefer this caliber is to hunt elk and moose in big bear country. Other calibers do just fine. 338 win mag is just my preference because it's never let me down performance wise.

Tight lines.......straight shooting

Last edited by sns2; 03-31-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:40 PM

I’d say a .308, can kill anything in North America, cheap to reload, cheap surplus, ammo is everywhere. Many great platforms are in .308 and you can even stretch its legs out to 1000 plus if you want.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:43 PM

I could so all of my big game hunting and target shooting with .284" bullets.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:51 PM

7mm Remington Mag, or the 7mm-08. Because they work and I like 7s. Vanilla icecream is good too.

I realize those are cartridges, not calibre....but saying .284 didn't really say it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 03-31-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:02 PM

Tough choice,.303 British or a 6.5/303 just because .
Cat
Old 03-31-2020, 06:18 PM

I own a few,but have shot most of my game with my Mod 70 in .270, 150 grain Nosler partition. Its the first caliber I hunted with, and given the choice of only one would be my last.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I’d say a .308, can kill anything in North America, cheap to reload, cheap surplus, ammo is everywhere. Many great platforms are in .308 and you can even stretch its legs out to 1000 plus if you want.
Nailed it !
Old 04-17-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I got my 308 savage as a 16th bday gift. Dads step brother hunted with it for years before it became mine. I'm 52 and it is the only rifle I have owned. Taken plenty of deer and moose, 1 elk. Light to carry, very minimal recoil and has a magazine. It really is a perfect gun for me. Can free hand it so well. Kid took his 54 inch moose with it in 2017. 1-180gr through the lungs, second one through the neck which dropped it on the spot.

Over the years I have wanted a bigger caliber to reach out a bit further or more knock down power but have never made the switch. Now that my dad has quit hunting, I will take over his 30 06, put a much better scope on it and use it from time to time.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:46 AM

If choosing only one, it would be the entire combination of cartridge, platform and optic. After owning and building way too many rifles, my main rifle is a Sako 85 Finnlight, 270WSM, topped with a Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 BRX launching 140 and 150 grain loads. Light enough to be a pleasure to carry, heavy enough to be a pleasure to shoot, phenomenal accuracy with anything I run through the barrel, and a fast and flat shooting cartridge that has the reach and thump to take on any game species. I find it amazing that after using extreme lightweights, long range rigs, tactical rifles, custom builds, and spending way too much money over the years, that my mainstay came straight off the shelf.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
If choosing only one, it would be the entire combination of cartridge, platform and optic. After owning and building way too many rifles, my main rifle is a Sako 85 Finnlight, 270WSM, topped with a Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 BRX launching 140 and 150 grain loads. Light enough to be a pleasure to carry, heavy enough to be a pleasure to shoot, phenomenal accuracy with anything I run through the barrel, and a fast and flat shooting cartridge that has the reach and thump to take on any game species. I find it amazing that after using extreme lightweights, long range rigs, tactical rifles, custom builds, and spending way too much money over the years, that my mainstay came straight off the shelf.
I can relate, i look back on a tikka t3 lite stainless .270 i built in talleys with a 3-9x33 leupold ultralite with a standard 7/8" target knob and kenton speed dial turret to match. 7 lbs all up, 22" barrel meant it wasn't too long. 5 shot groups 3/4 moa no sweat with factory fusions. That was one smart rifle you could do everything with and handled awesome and shot awesome in field conditions.

I built a .270 wsm on a sako a7 stainless after thinking it would be that much better. It too was incredible. But now...i'd do that a7 in a creedmoor, vx3i 3.5-10x40 cds-zl in talleys and be done as a one and done and not get the recoil of the other two.

Then...i built a dream. A blaser k95 single shot .270. Hands down my flagship rifle in performance and prestige. It takes down to 24", it holds zero and shoots lights on fire to 600 yards with factory ammo, weighs less than 7 lbs all up, will do moa groups at 350 yards with complete take down for every shot including the scope off. It has never had one flier, or one questionable shot, it has never shifted zero.

As i've gone even further in this and realizing i'll likely not hunt outside of alberta, or at least western canada, nor do i intend to shoot much class 3 game past 300 yards and class 2 game past about 450, i've really made a shift. Now my favorite cartridge is 6.5 Grendel and currently running a ruger american ranch and the only thing missing is stainless construction, but i'm pretty well over that detail.

We are to the point where i'm even considering my blaser k95 might have to go up for sale since it's unlikely to head afield again. It's still a cringe worthy thought in my mind at this point as it is for sure the ultimate firearm i've ever built, 5 shot, 3/4 moa, full take down, ultralight, handles recoil unbelievably and the quality/feel/fit and finish is outstanding. It runs a custom leupold 2.5-8 vx3 with lr-duplex reticle and zero at 250, 140gr accubonds around 2950, the first hash down from zero is 350 yards, 2nd hash lands at 450 and where post thickens back up is 550 yards (on 8x). It just lives on 8x as not really my coyote calling rig, more of a big game only rig. To throw in the pack with everything else is awesome where you have to cross some boundaries that require encased/unloaded etc. Anyway, i know a guy who's had a keen eye for this one since i got it...might be time to pass along the message. The prices of these things sure do hold up, and keep going up.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:35 AM

6mm Arc

https://www.hornady.com/6mmarc#!/

So delicious... so tasty...
Old 03-31-2020, 08:26 PM

7mm rem mag. Flat shootin, tolerable recoil and aint going anywhere anytime soon. With the right bullet no reason to feel under gunned for anything in this country anyways.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:01 AM

46 posts and only one nod to the 30-06... interesting. Not to throw a junction in the tracks of another thread, but I think I’d go .308 or 30-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
46 posts and only one nod to the 30-06... interesting. Not to throw a junction in the tracks of another thread, but I think I’d go .308 or 30-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And only a couple of posts that actually listed a caliber, the rest listed cartridges.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And only a couple of posts that actually listed a caliber, the rest listed cartridges.
The title said caliber but if you read the post the OP asked for the cartridge so that is what I posted
Cat
Old 04-01-2020, 07:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Potato...potatoe....

7-08....284....7mm...the little bugger is unbelievable when pushing a 140gr pill for moose/elk and I am sure big bear and the 120gr pills make anything from a deer size game on down freezer wrapped meat

Oh and she acts like a magnum but gives soft kisses like a super model.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-01-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The title said caliber but if you read the post the OP asked for the cartridge so that is what I posted
Cat
Actually, if you read the first post,he stipulated that a person could have only one cartridge, but he specifically asked what caliber it would be. And then he himself listed a cartridge, instead of a caliber.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Actually, if you read the first post,he stipulated that a person could have only one cartridge, but he specifically asked what caliber it would be. And then he himself listed a cartridge, instead of a caliber.
Pretty sure we all knew what he was asking
Cat
Old 04-01-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I don’t know why you continue to make such an issue out of this complete non issue.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-01-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Much more fun to specify 7mm Rem mag or 7mm STW or 7mm Weatherby vs just .284. Especially when one .284 can be infinitely superior over another.

It's like calling Camaros and Corvettes, "Chevrolets. Lumping them in with their boring Impala or Malibu kin. Clearly they are much more and as such deserve to be referred to in specific terms. Also not unlike lumping your 2 good looking dark haired kids in with the two red headed stepchildren you inherited in your second marriage. You might call it your "family" but you aren't kidding anybody. If the house is on fire with seconds to go, you're making sure the 2 darkhairs go out the window first.

In summary, the 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, and 7mm Weatherby are the Camaros, Corvettes, and dark haired kids. You can show them off, talk glowingly about them to friends, and proudly take them out in public.

The 7mm-08 and .280 are the Malibu's, Impalas, and freckled nerds that sunburn easily. Sure, they may get the job done, eventually, but why limit yourself to a cartridge you'll only use for solo hunting...at night...in Saskatchewan...while wearing a disguise?

I think it's important to distinguish royalty from the commonality.

Last edited by 270person; 04-01-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Much more fun to specify 7mm Rem mag or 7mm STW or 7mm Weatherby vs just .284. Especially when one .284 can be infinitely superior over another.

It's like calling Camaros and Corvettes, "Chevrolets. Lumping them in with their boring Impala or Malibu kin. Clearly they are much more and as such deserve to be referred to in specific terms. Also not unlike lumping your 2 good looking dark haired kids in with the two red headed stepchildren you inherited in your second marriage. You might call it your "family" but you aren't kidding anybody. If the house is on fire with seconds to go, you're making sure the 2 darkhairs go out the window first.

In summary, the 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, and 7mm Weatherby are the Camaros, Corvettes, and dark haired kids. You can show them off, talk glowingly about them to friends, and proudly take them out in public.

The 7mm-08 and .280 are the Malibu's, Impalas, and freckled nerds that sunburn easily. Sure, they may get the job done, eventually, but why limit yourself to a cartridge you'll only use for solo hunting...at night...in Saskatchewan...while wearing a disguise?
lol
Old 04-01-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
lol

. Please note no 6.5's were harmed during the construction of this diatribe. Would be very unfair of me to go after kids adopted from 3rd world countries.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:18 PM

OUCH, that's really harsh!
Lots of good folks in SK (and some monster white tail bucks, too).

Get all DRESSED UP and go hunting with a 7x57, or better yet a 7x57R, or best of all a .275 Rigby...…or a 7x61 Sharpe and Hart or a 7x64 Brenneke!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

Get all DRESSED UP and go hunting with a 7x57, or better yet a 7x57R, or best of all a .275 Rigby...…or a 7x61 Sharpe and Hart or a 7x64 Brenneke!

Just having some fun bud. I'm from Sask so no shots at that province ever. It was more about just being too embarrassed to hunt in your home province while lugging a Red Malibu.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

Cool. My pick would be .284". I have 4: 7-08, 280, 7STW and 7x61.

Economy, utility, performance and euro panache.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:

I think it's important to distinguish royalty from the commonality.

LOL......and I just cleaned the darn keyboard last week,....now, what to do with my 3 7-08's and 280AI.....
Old 04-03-2020, 11:51 PM

I’ve had some dandy deer guns including this 30BR I used several years ago... for obvious reasons as witnessed in the pic. A potent little cartridge that launches a 110 gr. Barnes TTSX @3075 FPS and is consistent enough for fun Range days.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
LOL......and I just cleaned the darn keyboard last week,....now, what to do with my 3 7-08's and 280AI.....

Limit your hunting excursions to out of province. Or better yet, out of country. Less opportunity of running into folks you know and having to endure endless ridicule and laughter.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Also not unlike lumping your 2 good looking dark haired kids in with the two red headed stepchildren you inherited in your second marriage. You might call it your "family" but you aren't kidding anybody. If the house is on fire with seconds to go, you're making sure the 2 darkhairs go out the window first.
OMG ......... I laughed so hard my wife came over to read this ..... LOL

A fire ........ who do you love most !!!!!! lol
Old 04-01-2020, 07:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Well I got a BSA SHT 1915 mk1 no111...303.....no scope etc....reliable as all hell...can't take a beatin' and keep on tickin' like a Swiss watch....so when I look at all I have and the possible problems the others can give me being all modern and dressed up I believe the ol'303 gets the nod.

Oops went a little bit overboard on response as I threw in the rifle too.....so of all the calibres....maybe a 7-08.....but if a rifle is included see above.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...