Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 AM

Default Should we be worried? Northern Snakehead fish found in BC

This critter is creating havoc in the US where it has been released into rivers and lakes by the Free Willy types.

Biologists say that the numerous sub species of this fish can't survive in our northern climates except the northern snakehead.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...192808114.html

Double thread.. my apologies... vids are interesting anyhow...
Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Banned

Biologists have determined it's a snakehead,,, passerbys of the pond said they saw what appeared to be a snakehead but it was best that an assessment by a biologist determined that it was in fact a snakehead and it be best that the DFO be brought in to assess that a snakehead has been deposited in the pond to which they determined to be correct,, snakeheads were spotted live for sale in Richmond but it was best that a biologist determine whether or not it were in fact a snakehead and YES, yes it was determined to be a snakehead, DFO was contacted and the DFO Googled what the States are doing because just this week HARPER STRIPPED THE DFO OF MAKING IMPORTANT DECISIONS REGARDING THE DEPARTMENT OF FISHERIES AND OCEANS.

So whether you, me, a biologist or a member of the DFO determine that this fish has made its way here by hand or by Lufthansa, there is bugger all that can be done about it.

Any good recipes? Would I skin it like a burbot? Can I shoot one if I see it on land?
Old 05-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post

Any good recipes? Would I skin it like a burbot? Can I shoot one if I see it on land?
They are said to be very good eating!

Maybe Alberta will stock them in one of there many Puzzy Trout lakes.....
Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Noticed your tagline Whitetail,,,

"I started thinking about getting a bullet to travel fast enough so it would disintegrate inside the animal's body,and the shock would cause instant death."

-Roy Weatherby

just one question, do you find that the bullets are still just bouncing off the chests of wabbits?
Old 05-17-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:

just one question, do you find that the bullets are still just bouncing off the chests of wabbits?
Sure Bud!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:

LOL I see what you did there!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
LOL I see what you did there!
sarcasm with a twist of facetiousness (<?sp) and a dash of sardonic wit, works everytime.

Last edited by Gust; 05-17-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:19 PM

Back to the original post...Yes they are supposed to be very tasty, but they wipe out all the indigenious species. The Northern Snakehead can survive in colder waters, but not sure about areas that freeze over annually. As far as a concern, yes I would be concerned. Especially in BC.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:25 PM

All I know is if they're there then they need to be killed off immediately or there's going to be some serious problems! These things can single handedly ruin a fishery for a whole province if they are aren't destroyed.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Banned

There's gotta be some pro-snakeheaders here,,, chime up guys, we need a good debate on how snakeheads will bring tourist dollars and add some flavour to our lousy fishing in these them thar parts.

How do they fight, is my question? And, with that lung thingy going on, on-land fights sound awesome!!! Think about the kids, no more worrying about them trying to net your lunker at the edge of the lake, they can now chase fish on land and/or get some good use out of the Daisy bb gun.

I'm all for it as I've filled my bucket list several times now and need something new.

IMO I think its the negative PR,,, what we need is a group of people who beleive they are conservationists, and beleive all the flora and fauna of Shakespeare be introduced into Canada, like the Starling and Scotch Broom and Brown Trout,, and they should talk with an English accent to give it all a weight of credibility. Asia gets bashed on the threads enough as it is, so I can't see the snakehead doing so well. But with the right spin, Alberta fishing could get very exciting.

Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryguy1977 View Post
all i know is if they're there then they need to be killed off immediately or there's going to be some serious problems! These things can single handedly ruin a fishery for a whole province if they are aren't destroyed.
no whole province fishery has been destroyed yet.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Check out "River Monsters" on Netflix. I think it is season 1 or 2 that has an episode on Snakeheads.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
no whole province fishery has been destroyed yet.
Because they've been destroying them to my knowledge. I believe I read somewhere that its begining to ruin the fishery in Michigan or some place and they are going to huge measures to get rid of them.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM

Gustav,

Feel free to head down south and catch as many as you like. It is illegal to throw them back there so you can keep as many as you like.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:36 PM

Catch yourself some asian carp while you are there too. Hell you don't even need a rod for them. They'll jump right in the boat for you.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Virginia doesn't look favourably upon them it seems....lol
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/snakehead-faq.asp
Old 05-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Banned

eh,

I heard that ther good fishin on the hard water, better than some muddy GMO trout
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Banned

Some one in red deer had a 24" snakehead posted free on kijiji

I wonder where it is now?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 PM

LOL....guys, Ive read they can hunt in groups/schools and can kill just about anything in our waters. (not sure if that's true though) They multiply insanely and likely have no natural predators. IF a species like this is left unchecked it could wreck the fishery.....I think that's pretty straight forward.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Because they've been destroying them to my knowledge. I believe I read somewhere that its begining to ruin the fishery in Michigan or some place and they are going to huge measures to get rid of them.
I heard you can't see the snakeheads for the lamprey in Michigan.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I heard you can't see the snakeheads for the lamprey in Michigan.
LOL, well you can troll all you want but honestly any true fisherman on this forum should have a reason to be concerned if we start seeing them here. That's all im saying.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL....guys, Ive read they can hunt in groups/schools and can kill just about anything in our waters. (not sure if that's true though) They multiply insanely and likely have no natural predators
AND??? Honestly doesn't that sound way more awesomer in a fish story than "I accidently killed the trout as it brushed against my Taghauer watch strap"

I SAY,,, Alberta needs a nasty fish! No more mamsy pamsy wuzzy trout,,, as whitetail so astutely pointed out.

I'm going to get a custom hat, T-shirt and decals for my bass boat, celebrating this marvel of predatorness. Pike shmike, I want a fish where I need to keep a ninja sword at the ready.

The Bow would be an amazing place to start them down south.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM

Gus stop trolling. I know you like trout.

I know of at least 3 store in calgary that sell them. I had one as a pet once. It killed all of my fish in the tank though so i tried to give it back to the store but they said they already had too many in stock. So I released him in carburn pond this spring. I put him in the 3rd pond because I heard that the second one often winterkills
Old 05-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Banned

i seen a big piike with bite marks inum in the third pond
Old 05-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post

I know of at least 3 store in calgary that sell them. I had one as a pet once. It killed all of my fish in the tank though so i tried to give it back to the store but they said they already had too many in stock. So I released him in carburn pond this spring. I put him in the 3rd pond because I heard that the second one often winterkills
HAHAHAHAHHA Maybe put it in with the dolly varden or anywhere they have bull trout too perhaps?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHHA Maybe put it in with the dolly varden or anywhere they have bull trout too perhaps?
I wonder if that gadabout gaddis of a character Sundance has considered them for the perch problem he has at the lake. It sure would make that community somewhat interesting,,, I'm glad that they are gated away from the general population.

SUNDANCE LAKE, WE HAVE NO PERCH JUST SNAKEHEADS

it would give the Stampede a run for the money
Old 05-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post
true, but I've never got to use trout for bait while trolling.

Honestly, can you imagine using trout for bait? Just for a minute, think about it,,,, yeah I thought so.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
true, but I've never got to use trout for bait while trolling.

Honestly, can you imagine using trout for bait? Just for a minute, think about it,,,, yeah I thought so.
hooch a 10" cuttie in Lower K FTW
Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
hooch a 10" cuttie in Lower K FTW
do you have a speech impediment? can you dum it down a bit. JFKFC
Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Gustav...people care as much about snakeheads as they do about the spreading carp infestation. Ponds are chock full NE of Calgary. You can harvest all you want. Who cares what native fish don't survive. Maybe snakeheads will help decimate the illegally introduced carp population