Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Banned

Default Conservatives Respond to Firearms Confiscation

Everyone slow down and take a deep breath. Conservative announcement from their website:

Unacceptable

February 28, 2014

Conservatives have always stood up for law-abiding gun owners.

That’s why I was troubled to learn of a decision made by unelected bureaucrats to prohibit a number of rifles imported from Switzerland.

I want to assure you that I will not let law-abiding gun owners suffer as a result of this situation.

These now “prohibited” firearms had been classified as non-restricted for more than a decade. The RCMP has no idea how many of these rifles exist, and they have not announced any plan on how to deal with those who purchased these firearms lawfully.

I want to assure you all options are on the table to fix this situation. I will also be taking steps to make sure this never happens again.

The actions of these bureaucrats are absolutely unacceptable and I will be announcing concrete measures in the coming days.

Our Conservative Government is on your side — and we will always stand up for the rights of law-abiding firearms owners.

Thank you once again for your years of loyal support.

Sincerely,

Steven Blaney
MP, Levis-Bellechasse

http://www.conservative.ca/?p=4369
Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 PM

Well I hope he is right, but we now know the agenda for sure of the RCMP. I will still be sending a donation to the NFA.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 PM

X2 just donated to the NFA.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

He/they should be reversing the RCMP's decision and have it thrown out along with a few of the RCMP who are responsible for this
Old 02-28-2014, 07:23 PM

I have my doubts that it is just a few in the RCMP that are for gun control, infact I think it is a majority of the RCMP that are for more gun control.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Banned

This has exposed a very important issue that I think the government needs to address. Not only do they have to reverse the RCMP's decision, something needs to be put into place so they can never do something like this on their own again.

EDIT* As a minimum the firearms currently owned should be grandfathered.

Last edited by HunterDave; 02-28-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 PM

Pretty sure the RCMP would change their tune in a huge hurry if we took their guns away. They don't really "need" them, they could just negotiate. And if they ran into a situation where they really needed to protect themselves, they could just call the military.......they'll respond fast enough that it wouldn't be practical for the police to carry guns! Give em all a rape whistle and a fish bonker!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
This has exposed a very important issue that I think the government needs to address. Not only do they have to reverse the RCMP's decision, something needs to be put into place so they can never do something like this on their own again.
This x 200
Old 02-28-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
X2 just donated to the NFA.
x3
Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Banned

I just sent this email to Mr. Blaney:

Dear Mr Blaney,

I would like to take this time to thank you for your letter about the recent gun confiscations posted on http://www.conservative.ca. I am happy to know that legal gun owners have an ally in government who is willing to stand up for our rights to shooting sports.

Thank you,
Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Banned

Link I found dealing with proposed bans according to the RCMP.

http://static.globalnews.ca/content/...2012-00068.PDF
Old 02-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Everyone slow down and take a deep breath. Conservative announcement from their website:

Unacceptable

February 28, 2014

Conservatives have always stood up for law-abiding gun owners.

That’s why I was troubled to learn of a decision made by unelected bureaucrats to prohibit a number of rifles imported from Switzerland.

I want to assure you that I will not let law-abiding gun owners suffer as a result of this situation.

These now “prohibited” firearms had been classified as non-restricted for more than a decade. The RCMP has no idea how many of these rifles exist, and they have not announced any plan on how to deal with those who purchased these firearms lawfully.

I want to assure you all options are on the table to fix this situation. I will also be taking steps to make sure this never happens again.

The actions of these bureaucrats are absolutely unacceptable and I will be announcing concrete measures in the coming days.

Our Conservative Government is on your side — and we will always stand up for the rights of law-abiding firearms owners.

Thank you once again for your years of loyal support.

Sincerely,

Steven Blaney
MP, Levis-Bellechasse

http://www.conservative.ca/?p=4369
Hmmm... actions speak louder than words...especially from one guy who never really committed to much in all honesty.

Scant hope is better than noneI guess but... I suspect that the best we;ll see here is a compromise with the RCMP that will still result in some errosion of property rights or the right to go out and buy one.

We should probably put a sticky on this one so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Banned

So now we have people kissing the CPC's ass even tho they have done nothing yet. The same party that suggested the RCMP give the guns back to the people of High River? They didn't ORDER them to give the guns back did they?

BDB is very correct - actions do speak louder than words.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
So now we have people kissing the CPC's ass even tho they have done nothing yet. The same party that suggested the RCMP give the guns back to the people of High River? They didn't ORDER them to give the guns back did they?

Did you quit smoking? You seem a little tense lately.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Did you quit smoking? You seem a little tense lately.
Yep, I did... Is the smoking making me tense? No.

Stupidity makes me testy and tense Red.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

You have an unusual outlook SD and I don't think that your post is very well thought out.

How do you figure that anyone is kissing anyone's ass? They got bombarded with emails from dissatisfied citizens voicing their disapproval, not kissing their ass begging them to pretty please stop the RCMP confiscation.

When my boss tells me that I should find something better to do than what I'm doing, I'm smart enough to know what he's saying. Does he have to give me an ORDER for me to understand what he's telling me?

As far as actions speaking louder than words......The confiscation was announced yesterday and today it was publicly addressed. Do you not consider that an action? Are you saying that they should have clicked their heels together and magically reversed things today? I think that it's a little more complicated than that, believe it or not, and it'll take longer than a day to sort out.

Don't start complaining already that it's not quick enough for goodness sakes......Geesh.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:57 AM
Banned

Let me explain my standpoint here - first of all, I don't have a PAL, nor do I own a firearm Dave - but i'll defend your rights and mine. I grew up hunting before the days of needing a license and jumping through hoops.... Which brings me to?

Firearms act, long gun registry, firearms confiscations, paper criminals... Need I go on? Why yes, yes I do....!

Have I ever seen the 3 million gun owners in this country get off their asses and protest the streets? The long gun registry was passed as a knee jerk to a school shooting in Quebec - windy Wendy shot from the hip and all was lost for gun owners. I don't recall much of a whimper from the gun owners of this country and I lived in Toronto when all this went down.... Remind me if there was a massive cross Canada meltdown?

The CPC isn't your friend - they said they would destroy the long gun registry to gain VOTES - get that? Votes. Was the registry data really deleted? you'd be a fool to think it was... The RCMP controlled it, they don't delete stuff like that. If Harper were serious about guns and your privelege to carry them, then all the laws would be changing.

Ken said it best but got put down but was told to go sit with the women - "Do something about it". Does it make people feel good to sign a BS online petition? Do people really think it helps? Seriously?

You aren't being governed anymore - and you haven't been for a long time. You/we are being controlled, plain and simple.

Quote:
You have an unusual outlook SD and I don't think that your post is very well thought out.

How do you figure that anyone is kissing anyone's ass? They got bombarded with emails from dissatisfied citizens voicing their disapproval, not kissing their ass begging them to pretty please stop the RCMP confiscation.

When my boss tells me that I should find something better to do than what I'm doing, I'm smart enough to know what he's saying. Does he have to give me an ORDER for me to understand what he's telling me?

As far as actions speaking louder than words......The confiscation was announced yesterday and today it was publicly addressed. Do you not consider that an action? Are you saying that they should have clicked their heels together and magically reversed things today? I think that it's a little more complicated than that, believe it or not, and it'll take longer than a day to sort out.

Don't start complaining already that it's not quick enough for goodness sakes......Geesh.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post

wow ouch...

so thursday prohibited swiss arms
friday cz 858.
as we march into march
Monday ar15's
tues kris vector, robinson arms, tavors, type 97, keltec all variants
wednesday hand guns, sks, svt40, m3o5, m1a
10/22 mini 14
thursday semiautos
friday leverguns and detachable mags
it will look like australia

the spring of prohibition is here with no inhibitions... wait till april fools no bb, squirt, cap or replica guns. playing the sex pistols 'no future' or any other track off god save the queen is verboten.

our tax dollars working against the citizens again. Ban two guns in two days because they look militaristic. Where does it end? how many more guns are in the proverbial crosshairs. The guns that that have been targeted are symbols. Police and military sport guns looking very similar. The men who guard our nation are civilians and citizens first. So are they to be targeted inevitably as well? Citizens comprise this nation. You strip one of liberties do you end up stripping them all? Or is this a nation of allegedly free hypocrites? This is an act of grand larceny. Transport canada announces 'there is a manufacturers defect in your hummer, turn in the vehicle you paid for. your vehicle looks militaristic we are taking your car: seek the dealer for reparations. bon chance.'

privateering laws: that title is not ownership, you are the custodian of the crowns possessions.
What you own is really the governments you just baby sit it till they come to the door to claim it.
I feel sick.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...8/sign.html#se

You are signer #5041 [?]

I am still highly allergic to BS. we are not alone in our concerns.

List of Restricted and Prohibited Firearms

Important Notice

The Canadian Firearms Program fact sheets concerning the Firearms Act are currently being revised. Updated versions will be posted as soon as possible.

Last edited by yankeeimmigrant; 03-01-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:48 AM
Banned

There were protests SD, maybe not in Toronto but there were in Edmonton. Some guys were carrying disabled .22lr rifles during the protest. Then there were the other forms of protest that may more people participated in by simply not complying with the law and not registering our long guns. I think that not registering them was the greater form of protest between the two. If no one complied, it would have been the ultimate form of protest.

EDIT* I should add that the CPC is the best of the political parties when it comes to gun control. The Liberals were the ones to create the LGR and if they had been re-elected, sooner or later we'd be looking at an Aussie type gun control/confiscation with them. The CPC is all that us gun owners have.

Last edited by HunterDave; 03-01-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post

We're legal to run wolves down on snowmobiles up here.....most of these rifles would be perfect for that....and they're taking all of them away
Old 03-01-2014, 04:32 AM

Handgun would be as good tundra
Old 03-01-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
Handgun would be as good tundra
For sure....but they get all pizzy when ya try to do that to
Old 03-01-2014, 04:37 AM

What is bothering me is that none of the political parties have condemned what happened in highriver. Pretty soon the police will be saying you abandoned your firearms when you go on vacation.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
For sure....but they get all pizzy when ya try to do that to
Your ever get stopped by dnr in the nwt?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:47 AM

We have game checks on the ice roads so if you're in a truck you are supposed to stop and check in. The short answer to your question would be no tho
Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
He/they should be reversing the RCMP's decision and have it thrown out along with a few of the RCMP who are responsible for this
I've heard this all over. It is not enough to reverse the decision, nothing stops them from doing it again.

Bill C-68 needs to be scrapped.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
I've heard this all over. It is not enough to reverse the decision, nothing stops them from doing it again.

Bill C-68 needs to be scrapped.
This^^^

With C-68 gone we would be under fire from the Anti's to get the "right" laws in place. I would like to see no classification. A gun is a gun! Then a 44 for deer hunting.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Default Government

Well if bill c68 is not scrapped you may as all well vote liberal 2015 yes they will take our guns but at least they are honest about it and not trying to do it behind our backs. Harper promised not to turn us law abiding gun owners into criminals and it just happened. C68 needs to go and a whole revamp into firearms and it's bs regulations and rules need to be done. Everything under one class. We are law biding citizens/gun owners why should any of us be punished and honestly gun owners are more law biding than you average joe we have more to lose.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:20 AM

This Government better get their act together and start reigning in the RCMP. The (RCMP) have proven time and time again they are not trustworthy ,they have a political agenda and in my opinion are steering us towards a police state.I believe they need to be stripped of many of the powers they have . I wouldn't trust with anything more than traffic patrol myself . I know everyone has a neighbor who's a member and a great guy blah blah blah . As an organization I don't trust them any more than I would trust any organised crime group.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
This Government better get their act together and start reigning in the RCMP. The (RCMP) have proven time and time again they are not trustworthy ,they have a political agenda and in my opinion are steering us towards a police state.I believe they need to be stripped of many of the powers they have . I wouldn't trust with anything more than traffic patrol myself . I know everyone has a neighbor who's a member and a great guy blah blah blah . As an organization I don't trust them any more than I would trust any organised crime group.
I think the HAs would let me keep my guns....