Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 10:59 AM

Default Best rifle for me

Hi. Its not much fun for me to shoot heavy caliber rifles anymore. Kind of leaning to a .223 or .17. This is just for target shooting. The .308 and .303 are a bit much after awhile. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Bob
Old 08-05-2020, 11:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

a nice walnut stocked and scoped out 22 might fit the bill if its just target shooting 100 yards or less...shoot all day on a dime per say....some nice classy riggs out there;

starters;

https://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/rimfire/

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-05-2020, 11:10 AM

Pretty tough to beat a .223 and bulk ammo out to 500 meters for plunking and stuff
Cat
Old 08-05-2020, 11:25 AM
Banned

look at a ruger pc carbine perhaps?

the types of target shooting you're most into could be a consideration, ie; distances you like to play, steel or paper...you may like a louder impact on steel targets, also maybe you want to feel a bit of recoil or 'real gun' feel when you touch the trigger off?

but ya start with the most common ammo choices in the world as price and availability will be best with those

the 9mm is the most common pistol caliber in the world and lots of bulk availability at good price per round, and the little carbines sure look like a lot of fun, i'll have to have one soon but effective ranges shorter like a .22 lr, up to 100 yards but you can still have fun hitting steal further than that

.223 would be one that would go long better, 300 yards and beyond (good for coyote hunting also)

7.62x39 might be another, get you to 200 yards, good for some big game to say 150 yards

the .22 lr would be hands down the most affordable powder burning shooter, similar ranges to the 9mm

i think those are the top choices, i'd probably go for 9mm over the rimfire magnums myself
Old 08-05-2020, 11:45 AM

Many competition shooters like the .243 for target shooting, you can google it and come up with a lot of info!https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...range-shooting
Old 08-05-2020, 11:54 AM

You can have a lot of fun with a 22 and can reach out alot further than most think. I play at 100/150/200y with irons, and am itching to get a 250/300y gongs set up for the little rimfire.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
You can have a lot of fun with a 22 and can reach out alot further than most think. I play at 100/150/200y with irons, and am itching to get a 250/300y gongs set up for the little rimfire.
Yup, I have a .22WMR that I have zero'd at 100m and regularly take to 200m.
Really teaches you how to read the wind.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:11 PM

I really like my 17 hornet.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Banned

i made assumption poster doesn't reload, if poster reloads then a lot more choices open up, if factory ammo only...then

.22lr
9mm
.223 rem
7.62x39

.22lr (only rimfire, next step up from pellet gun, limited on a lot of things, gopher slaying champ)

9mm (limited non-restricted firearms availability (sadly, great cartridge), limited range, more powerful in carbine for satisfying shooting fun, big game legal although niche, a deer at 100 yards would be the outer limit)

.223 rem (likely the most versatile choice here for affordability, rifle choice availability, shooting satisfaction and target options/distances, also great coyote/varmint cartridge)

7.62x39 (a little less versatile than the .223 in some areas but can double down pretty well on big game to 150 maybe 200 yards)

.223 cover most bases without knowing any more about what your idea of 'target shooting' is?
Old 08-05-2020, 02:13 PM

For just target shooting I would go with a 223 with a faster twist rate for heavier bullets. So far I have been out to 700 yards with mine.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 08-05-2020, 04:31 PM

Default Thanks.

Should have said I already have a couple of decent .22S and a 9mm pistol. Thanks. Some things to think on.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:17 PM

Let's get some more info on what you want to do.

Distances you want to shoot?
Do you reload?
Do you drive up to where you start to shoot?
You shooting beside others?
Budget?

(A heavy chasis and braked rifle would have very minimal recoil, but wouldnt be that much fun for those around or to hike in)
Old 08-05-2020, 05:18 PM

What the heck?! What alternate universe have I stumbled upon!?

Stinky Coyote not pumping the 6.5 Grendel!?!?!

Honestly, after reading the OP, the Grendel came into my mind.

In my mind good low recoil cartridges that are good for target shooting are:
-223, but I’d want a fast twist rate to stabilize the heavier (higher ballistic coefficient) bullets.
-6.5 Grendel, ammo availability would be something I would look into first though.
-6mm creedmoor, I would choose this over 243 win just due to the faster factory twist rate, again better for higher bc bullets.
-243 is okay, but doesn’t do well with high bc bullets with most factory twist rates.
-7.62x39 is okay, depending on your expectations and the distance you want to shoot at.

These are ordered by preference for myself.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:05 PM

You want a 223

https://youtu.be/8zKoC-HMLEY

-Billy Molls
Old 08-05-2020, 06:10 PM

Default More info

Right now I like to shoot the .22 out to two hundred but mostly one hundred. The nine at 25 and will fire a couple of magazines at one hundred but with very little success. I’d like to shoot maybe out to five hundred but we may be moving to Cold Lake. I understand there is no long range there but there is one in Bonnyville.
So I have some things to think about. Also never shot at steel but think I may.
Thanks again
Bob
Old 08-05-2020, 06:25 PM

For 500 yards a 223 with a fast twist barrel is easy.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-05-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
i made assumption poster doesn't reload, if poster reloads then a lot more choices open up, if factory ammo only...then

.22lr
9mm
.223 rem
7.62x39

.22lr (only rimfire, next step up from pellet gun, limited on a lot of things, gopher slaying champ)

9mm (limited non-restricted firearms availability (sadly, great cartridge), limited range, more powerful in carbine for satisfying shooting fun, big game legal although niche, a deer at 100 yards would be the outer limit)

.223 rem (likely the most versatile choice here for affordability, rifle choice availability, shooting satisfaction and target options/distances, also great coyote/varmint cartridge)

7.62x39 (a little less versatile than the .223 in some areas but can double down pretty well on big game to 150 maybe 200 yards)

.223 cover most bases without knowing any more about what your idea of 'target shooting' is?
^excellent advice. If ammo cost is no issue, I'd definitely lean towards the .223. So much fun, light recoil, great reach, etc. If ammo cost is an issue (per round, or if you plan on doing a ton of it ) then spend a bit on a good rifle and a half-decent scope...then enjoy buckets of fun @ 50-100 yards. It's what I love to do most, especially when gophers are involved!
Old 08-05-2020, 10:09 PM

I have both a 22LR and a .223 and I use the 22LR for gophers but I definitely prefer to shoot the .223. Bulk ammo is fairly inexpensive and I can shoot longer ranges. If I do happen to see a gopher where it is safe to shoot he's a goner.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
What the heck?! What alternate universe have I stumbled upon!?

Stinky Coyote not pumping the 6.5 Grendel!?!?!

Honestly, after reading the OP, the Grendel came into my mind.
Lol, I’m trying to not give SNS2 a heart attack.😉

Seriously though, while it’s a perfect cartridge for his ask if he happens to reload. If not I just don’t see it beating the .223 on price or availability for high volume shooting. If he wanted to be able to double down on big game then I would have been all over it and just advised to order lots of ammo ahead as it’s still not that popular north of the border.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:02 AM

Funny because the first thing I thought was we’d hear more waxing poetic about the virtues of a Grendel from Stinky Coyote (aren’t they all stinky, can we just call you coyote?)
Kinda in the same boat where I’m looking for something I could blast off at the range for much cheaper than my big game rifles. What I don’t like about the 223 for me is it is pretty much just a range gun and not for hunting, aside from the occasional coyote. I’d love a Grendel for its multi purpose and low recoil. But the cost to feed the 223 is just so tough to argue against. And to not have another cartridge to take my time with reloading is a big factor for me.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Funny because the first thing I thought was we’d hear more waxing poetic about the virtues of a Grendel from Stinky Coyote (aren’t they all stinky, can we just call you coyote?)
Kinda in the same boat where I’m looking for something I could blast off at the range for much cheaper than my big game rifles. What I don’t like about the 223 for me is it is pretty much just a range gun and not for hunting, aside from the occasional coyote. I’d love a Grendel for its multi purpose and low recoil. But the cost to feed the 223 is just so tough to argue against. And to not have another cartridge to take my time with reloading is a big factor for me.
Lol, i'll recommend it where i think it's a good choice. It's versatility is hard to ignore, when you really look at all it can do it's got a very broad range of uses and appeal.

And ya, if the mods will change my name to Coyote i'd be ok with that, i was about the oxymoron's when i signed up back in 2007 i guess.

As for the reloading, i don't know personally as i don't reload but if a cartridge finally does get me into that, it will be the Grendel. I understand like other new 6.5's it's real easy to reload for and find loads quickly. It's been around since 2004, gobs of reload data on the 6.5 Grendel Forum and other typical gun/hunting forums. It's wildly popular in the usa. Also...factory ammo is 52,000 psi for auto-loaders, you can get another 100 fps out of it reloading for bolt guns as you can run higher pressures. So i've read anyway.

For this thread, and assuming factory ammo still, pretty tough to beat the white box .223 and a readily available/affordable/accurate bolt gun from variety of the usual manufacturers.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Banned

I'm quietly waiting for Chuck to retire the .223 for a 6.5 Grendel so it's not just relegated to varmints and target practice but still light enough hitter for introductory goodness and good fun.

I'd love to see what he does with reloading for the Grendel!

As well as a few other sharp shooters here...be interesting to see what you guys would get out of the 6.5g with all the experience and accuracy i see on this forum.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:40 PM

:-)

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2020, 12:59 PM

It sounds like the solution is really a 223 AND a 6.5 Grendel. My eldest is shooting a lower velocity load in the 7mm-08 and if I wasn’t so far into that cartridge (bought the guns for me not for the kids) I’d start the kids off with a 223 and hunting with a Grendel. Too bad Cooper doesn’t make the Grendel. I sure like their rifles. These are her first 6 shots ever with a cartridge larger than 22-250.

(I’m covering my fouling shots from earlier, her name, and incorrect load data I wrote down on the wrong target)

Old 08-06-2020, 01:08 PM
Banned

Great shooting!

I'll be able to rest in peace if sns2 sips the 6.5 Grendel kool-aid one day, knowing all the good I helped bring into the world.

Goals
Old 08-07-2020, 09:08 PM

Default Thanks

Appreciate all the input. Think I will lean to the.223.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:24 PM

17's are so accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:07 AM

Default 17

Yes a friend has one that I’ve shot. Liked it but I don’t know a lot about rifles and not sure that it has the range that I may want. I would probably like to try longer distances. Thanks
Old 08-08-2020, 10:34 AM

When I looked at a retirement range gun, I settled on the 6.5 Creedmore, pretty tough to beat for what it'll do for the price, lots of guns from cheap to expensive available in it. The 6mm version seems to be taking off as well. Bought an 11lb gun with a good trigger to shoot it in, added a honkin big 2+lb scope, so it is sweet to shoot.

Contemplating something like an Anschutz .22 for the range as well, had a Valmet up til a few yrs ago, shot gophers out to 200 with it, shot targets to 300 a few times, that gets interesting, needed a different scope and rail to do that. Probably should have kept it. Not too sure about the .22 being all that cheap anymore, seems to me I used 50.00 worth last time out with the STG, doing that regularly would add up in a hurry.

I have a 223 in an 1885, but it's a 14 twist, so only good to 60gr or so bullets, and the trigger isn't really a range grade unit. Very adequate for gophers though.

Guess it depends what you want to do with it, sounds like you want minimal recoil, 223 is certainly able to fill that bill, the 6.5 offered a bit more versatility to the longer range end of things for me, along with ammo/component availability, the heavy gun mitigates the recoil. Plus I handload, which helps somewhat.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:23 PM
Banned

He’s on the right track with .223. He’s already had enough of the .308 class recoil and the creedmoor’s still up there. The .223 will be half the recoil of the creedmoor’s. 5-6 ft/lbs recoil energy vs 12-13 ft/lbs. It’s the right choice for sure.

I like that the creedmoor’s have come far enough in popularity to be a consideration for above double digit recoil energy classes. With rifle and ammo availability at reasonable costs and availability.

If Bob A were to ask this question again in 10 years the 6.5 Grendel or 6 Arc may be the best answer for the best of the single digit recoil energy options on factory gear and ammo. Until then...the .223 is king, for plinking and target fun at volume and distance.

The 6.5 Grendel and 6 Arc will eventually dethrone the .223 as the king of AR length cartridges. Due to the added performance and crossover to big game capabilities but it will take awhile. Wouldn’t be surprised if the 6 Arc replaces the .223 for most military options as well. Much like the 6.5 creedmoor has and is doing to the .308. It’ll just take a little time.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 08-08-2020 at 12:30 PM.