Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This is an honest legitimate question. How do you prevent this? There are now two individuals here that say it’s preventable. So far, after removing literally hundreds of scopes from hundreds of sets of rings I’m not sure how you do it. If there is some insight I’d like to have that information.
Burris signature rings with the plastic inserts. They have been the kindest to my scopes so far.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly85 View Post
Burris signature rings with the plastic inserts. They have been the kindest to my scopes so far.
They are a good option. My biggest beef is that they can’t be mounted as low as wanted sometimes.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2019, 10:42 AM
Banned

I pretty much wipe it down with whatever oil i have handy.

Better question yet Chuck. What do you do different that makes you rings and scope rùst?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:04 AM

Default Gun cleaning

A very light coating of grease,should prevent the scope rust.A good idea to remove the bolt,and wipe down the rifle very trip.The otis system works well, afew pulls thrus after fireing,brushing if hvy.Form a good cleaning habit and its all part of the fun.The salt water market hunting days was a different story, shotguns had to be disasembled very trip, some times placed in the shower to wash the salt off, with two semis and a pump this was quite a job,but had to be done--
Old 03-26-2019, 11:04 AM

I love hunting, but I have to admit I'm a fair weather hunter. If it's raining or wet snow, I generally don't go out, not because I'm afraid I'll melt, but more so because I hate stripping down my guns in the middle of a hunting trip. It can and sometimes does affect point of impact of your sight in. Saying that, there's always a can of G96, a cleaning rod and a silicone cloth in the trailer, or at camp. Just in case.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:20 AM

https://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/ The best-kept secret in the Firearms industry ..
Old 03-26-2019, 11:30 AM

SNS2,one thing I do use to prevent rust or tight bolts actions and cleaning up rust,is Gunk liquid carb ,the red liquid stuff cleaner.I soak sometime parts for 48 hours and then dry them up air blowing,this stuff doesn't freeze at 60 below or thicken up.

I had a set of rings that got rust on them soaked them over night,but you have dry them very well,but a small film of this stuff stay on the metal.If you want a bolt like a fine well made sauer,soak it in that stuff.But dry it well.

I just pore 2 bottles in plastic dish and when I am done refill the bottles.The stuff can last for years.Always remember to dry all parts well.

I had the stuff in the bush and my muzzle loader bolt was always crap,i tried this and when i sold it the guy said he was impressed with the bolt.I use now mostly talley rings or rings with plastic inserts,but if I put a steel set on I still use this stuff,no more rust.Now only used this on metal,so for others stuff your on your own.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:35 AM

I have had people bring me messes like that. I show them what is required to resolve the issue, and to prevent it from re-occurring, then they are on their own if it happens again in the future.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
https://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/ The best-kept secret in the Firearms industry ..

Maybe, but ya can't drink it for stomach disorders like you can with Ballistol.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=JD848;3952932]SNS2,one thing I do use to prevent rust or tight bolts actions and cleaning up rust,is Gunk liquid carb ,the red liquid stuff cleaner.I soak sometime parts for 48 hours and then dry them up air blowing,this stuff doesn't freeze at 60 below or thicken up.

I had a set of rings that got rust on them soaked them over night,but you have dry them very well,but a small film of this stuff stay on the metal.If you want a bolt like a fine well made sauer,soak it in that stuff.But dry it well.

I just pore 2 bottles in plastic dish and when I am done refill the bottles.The stuff can last for years.Always remember to dry all parts well.

I had the stuff in the bush and my muzzle loader bolt was always crap,i tried this and when i sold it the guy said he was impressed with the bolt.I use now mostly talley rings or rings with plastic inserts,but if I put a steel set on I still use this stuff,no more rust.Now only used this on metal,so for others stuff your on own

Comes in a yellow bottle
Old 03-26-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I pretty much wipe it down with whatever oil i have handy.

Better question yet Chuck. What do you do different that makes you rings and scope rùst?
First of all Scopes don’t “rust”. They are aluminum now days. The answer to the other question is that they are simply exposed to the elements, water gets under them (I tend to mitigate that with contact cement), and unless they are completely disassembled (I won’t do this) oxidation takes place. Generally it is pretty benign, but any rifle that has had a scope mounted in steel rings for any length of time that has had any exposure to the elements will exhibit this to some degree. It is generally completely undetectable unless these parts are removed.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2019, 04:54 PM

After a day out in the cold and/or wet, I dry my guns out beside the woodstove ASAP.

No oil required and no rust happens.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:31 PM

Wink keep it clean/lubbed ??

some gun owners, ?? treat them as tools !! like a crowbar, hammer, chisel, and so on !! Lucky he didn't have to use it in defense of a Bear or an intruder?? JMO maybe over board on this but money invested in a firearm, should be cared for in the proper manner, to have a reliable functioning rifle, that will last many yrs. and be passed on to there kids and grand children. Dad gave me a 1912 savage pump .22 that his Dad had in Sask. and bluing is worn, but man it feeds flawlessly and can still hit shot shell hulls at 60 yds. open sight's..!! Maintence and a little care/cleaning is well worth it. !!
Old 03-30-2019, 10:09 PM
Banned

I just took off the scope of a rifle my dad bought used 30 years ago. No rust in the rings.

Still curious how chuck gets rusty rings?
Old 03-30-2019, 10:25 PM

Default Rusty guns

SNS. I was wondering if maybe you could help me out with these ones?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D8C66657-F6E9-4520-BA4C-704283488099.jpg (13.9 KB, 141 views)
Old 03-30-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Maybe, but ya can't drink it for stomach disorders like you can with Ballistol.
Depends on whether you want to cure a stomach disorder or acquire one. I'm pretty sure T-9 will do one or the other.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Saw one sell at auction as a swamp find...$450 bucks there is a couple collectors out there.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
here is a link to a firearm industry product lubricity and corrosion resistance test. this is a few years old and may not include newer formulations.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

This was really interesting.
Perhaps not conclusive in every aspect, although it seems very convincing ...
at the very least I find it interesting to see how hornady one shot performed in these conditions. Might be the next thing I use on door hinges lol
I wonder how some of the products would be on bow parts. Clearly helps guns like the two pictured in this thread, but how safe near/on bowstrings or screws and attachments
Old 07-28-2020, 03:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
WD40.....Good to go for another season.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-28-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Wipe down at camp. Have never done more. Have hunted in rain many times, but not monsoons.
Rifles are precision tools and need to be treated as such, people forget that.

Grizz
Old 07-28-2020, 09:19 PM

I don`t lift the rings to see if there is any rust.......because there isn`t any. I don`t use steel rings except for Optilocks but they have the plastic inserts and for everything else Talley lightweights. Keep the screws heads lubed.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
Those gouge marks on that scope are from twisting the scope in the rings. The rust on the scope is what rubbed off the ring onto the scope.
Shooting to the left, turn scope to the right.
Shooting to the right, turn scope to the left.
Move back a bit now it is high or low.....
Hmmm, Guess I gets the pry bar or hammer and bugger this up or down
Whoop whoop bang on now let's go get me a deer
WDF
Old 07-30-2020, 03:03 PM
Banned

school of hard knocks. sometimes guys thing all weather stainless etc means nothing will corrode... surprise. Guessing the manual or the website by Tikka discusses maintenance. At least you hope it would. Based on the evidence, once it is cleaned up.....still functional. Tikka's are tough....
Old 07-31-2020, 06:38 PM

Some hunts the rifles dry out every morning and evening, others the are cold and damp all week.

Im using talley aluminum so they shouldn't rust with an aluminum tube.

If moisture can get in to cause rust, use an aresol spray to displace it. Depends on tolerances, wouldnt be good to have the tube all lubed up under heavy recoil
Old 08-01-2020, 02:18 AM

Default Cerakote

Cerakote your rings and it doesnt happen. I have also taken a heat gun to them, get them hot where you cannot hold them, and then oil bath, motor oil, lathe oil, whatever you have. The pores open up and absorb the oil. Once treated let cool then wipe down. Blueing stays and no more rust/oxidation.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:28 AM

Abuse or use? Preventable if you pull the rifle out for a couple evening hunts in November. What about 20-30 days a year in a tent with snow and rain every day. Boots don’t even dry out.