Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 12:29 PM

Default ATV Servicing Recommendations - Edmonton Area

I recently picked up an older generation Yamaha quad.

I am considering where I should start a relationship for regular maintenance items.

Does anyone have any comments on Edmonton area recommendations?

Much appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:42 PM

I would just start learning how to do it yourself.
There isn’t much to it once you get started.
There are all kinds of videos and I am sure some members would help you out if you had questions.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:09 PM

Give Gerry at GAC Enterprises a call. I know he does all forms of Honda ATVs, he probably would do Yamaha as well. Had him do the bearings on my quad and a few other things. Does good work at fair prices. He operates out of a shop just North of Devon on Highway 60. $100/hr shop rate instead of 150 to 180 at the dealers. Been at it for 40 years and his "apprentice" has been with him at least 12 years.

GAC Enterprises Inc. | 26214 Township Rd 512, Spruce Grove, AB T7Y1C6

info@gacenterprises.ca

780-987-4275
Old 08-06-2020, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the comments, both are useful.

I’ll look up Gerry to start and then look into what I can do.

Cheers.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuard84 View Post
Thanks for the comments, both are useful.

I’ll look up Gerry to start and then look into what I can do.

Cheers.

Buchhead is right that doing it yourself is really very easy. I pretty much did all my own mechanical on ATVs, trucks, cars and everything else for many years, and that was long before Youtube made it so much easier.I self taught myself how to do everything from oil changes to complete motor overhauls. I found it very enjoyable and a big side benefit of that knowledge is I never had anything break on a trip I couldn't fix and at least limp the unit home. there is a lot to be said for being self sufficient, not to mention the huge amount of Sheckles you save.

Of late and the older I get the less I find doing my own work interesting. I am also now much more interested in helping out guys working hard to make a living and it is one of the major reasons I hire out a lot of work that I am perfectly capable of doing myself. A great deal of the perspective depends on your circumstances and view of the world.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:00 PM

Central Sled and Cycle in Wetaskiwin are really good to deal with.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I would just start learning how to do it yourself.
There isn’t much to it once you get started.
There are all kinds of videos and I am sure some members would help you out if you had questions.
^^^Absolutely this.

No reason to pay someone's usually high shop rate for something you can do yourself if your ok with a basic set of hand tools. Repair bills can get out of control FAST at $100 an hour and up for shop rate.

If you ever have an issue that's beyond you there are countless forums including this one with members that give good, solid advice. (Advice is only helpful if it's good, bad advice really sucks, this forum has more than a few members that give out excellent advice) Plus there's always YouTube.

Your already off on the right foot buy buying a quality machine, that Yammi stuff is great quality stuff.

Start with your basics, pull the carb (if it's carureted) give it a REAL good cleaning or just rebuild it and get that out of the way along with changing all your fluids, plugs, wires and go from there. Spend a little time inspecting the brakes, throttle and clutch cables real good. A busted cable on the trail REALLY sucks.

I find it relaxing turning wrenches on my dirt bike and quad in the evening, and you can save a TON of dough by doing it yourself too. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Buchhead is right that doing it yourself is really very easy. I pretty much did all my own mechanical on ATVs, trucks, cars and everything else for many years, and that was long before Youtube made it so much easier.I self taught myself how to do everything from oil changes to complete motor overhauls. I found it very enjoyable and a big side benefit of that knowledge is I never had anything break on a trip I couldn't fix and at least limp the unit home. there is a lot to be said for being self sufficient, not to mention the huge amount of Sheckles you save.

Of late and the older I get the less I find doing my own work interesting. I am also now much more interested in helping out guys working hard to make a living and it is one of the major reasons I hire out a lot of work that I am perfectly capable of doing myself. A great deal of the perspective depends on your circumstances and view of the world.
Thank you for the further comments and good advice. There is definitely a value in knowing your machines and being able to work on them yourself. I started a personal journey that way many years ago working on my GM and Toyota vehicles and it has been great.

I am at a shifting point though where I also like to support local mechanics and now I pick and choose what I do. I figured an expert run through at the start would be good and I can then choose what I do or send out. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
^^^Absolutely this.

No reason to pay someone's usually high shop rate for something you can do yourself if your ok with a basic set of hand tools. Repair bills can get out of control FAST at $100 an hour and up for shop rate.

If you ever have an issue that's beyond you there are countless forums including this one with members that give good, solid advice. (Advice is only helpful if it's good, bad advice really sucks, this forum has more than a few members that give out excellent advice) Plus there's always YouTube.

Your already off on the right foot buy buying a quality machine, that Yammi stuff is great quality stuff.

Start with your basics, pull the carb (if it's carureted) give it a REAL good cleaning or just rebuild it and get that out of the way along with changing all your fluids, plugs, wires and go from there. Spend a little time inspecting the brakes, throttle and clutch cables real good. A busted cable on the trail REALLY sucks.

I find it relaxing turning wrenches on my dirt bike and quad in the evening, and you can save a TON of dough by doing it yourself too. Good luck!
I also like the garage/wrench work. I did a fair amount of that this weekend and the rock music and cold beer completed the experience. Thanks for the comments, good starting points I will do them or ask for them to specifically be checked. Cheers.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:24 PM

Riverside Yamaha in St Albert fixed a problem for me on my old snowmobile that would only intermittently go into reverse. It seemed to always work at home but when I got to the lake to go ice fishing it wouldn't go in reverse. I was always having to pull it out of my trailer. Hard on my old back.
They figured it out and were very reasonable on billing. They did some work on my old Sportsman quad at a good price too. I will keep going there.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Central Sled and Cycle in Wetaskiwin are really good to deal with.
I agree I’ve been very happy with them as well.