Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Default Gas or Piston

As long as I pass my 2nd yr of welding my wife is "allowing" me to purchase an ar-15 platform rifle. I am hoping I can get into a beginner class 3 gun competition one day and see where that leads me. After looking around and figuring out a budget I have narrowed it down to two choices and I would like to know if anyone has any experience with them or the competition side so they can give me some advice.

1) A Daniel Defense M4 carbine V5 (gas)

2) A Ruger SR-556E (piston)

I would get them in .223, of course, I am getting the base models on purpose as I would prefer to modify and accessorize it on my own through some trial and error. Intelligent comments or observations are welcome, idiotic ones are expected unfortunately. Thanks for the good advice. cheers
Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 PM

Not an expert but If I buy another AR it will be piston vs direct impingement simply for easier cleaning.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Banned

Off topic I know. But "your wife allows" now that is too funny, or maybe NOT.....
Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Off topic I know. But "your wife allows" now that is too funny.....
Yes, unless she is buying it for you NEVER ask for permission!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 PM

I would consider something non-restricted. I played the AR game, and while fun, I just couldn't justify the added hassle when there are so many NR options out there now.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDtXe9jXBuc
Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 PM

Default overheard at ss indoor range last week

was not realy paying attention but thought I heard the piston is 500 bucks more and with the restricted use of ammo per mag it is not worth it, no faster and only for 6 seconds and you are done

check on this as I would not pay 500 beans for that priviledge, put your money to good use for reloading equipment or components

your milage may vary

Cement Bench
Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM

Gas.
Why pay more for something :
- Not proven yet
- with more parts, hence more prone to failure.
- totally overpriced
- non conventional, with specific parts made according to each manufacturer... Good luck for maintenance in case sg goes wrong.

I run a 1990's Colt, and after thousands of shots... Never had any issue, even after I got enthusiastic and shot half a crate in an afternoon.

If you clean the rifle regularly, you won't have any problem. Nobody does, actually, except marketing guys that are pushing hard their piston
Cleaning a gas system is really simple and quick. Anyway, gas goes so fast in the tube it does not clog it... Stop the urban legend. Just give some love to your carrier key and you won't have any problem.

DDM4 Vx are, IMHO, best AR option today on the market. Under priced considering the level of manufacturing. My second choice would be a DPMS, if on an budget. 3rd will be a Norc, if on a tighter budget.

I have considered piston a while, drooled on Barrett's REC7 - supposedly the best piston on the market but :
- price tag is ridiculous.
- nothing outstanding in 5.56. Rifle is great in its 6.8 SPC version. This is a hard to find ammo, with a very specific range of application that nobody here should care about.

My $ 0.02 is, if you shoot with ammo of reasonable quality, a gas AR is by far the most sensible choice. Not the hypest, but sensible

And if you want to shoot cheaper ammo, get a Norc for $600! They work as good as the aforementioned brands, they just lack the polished features and the nice coating. But they work...
Bottom line is : any AR system need to be cleaned after heavy use to work well. As any other gun.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by Fredo; 02-12-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 PM

Quite happy with Robinson XCR-M, mind you I haven't shot it much. My only complaint is that it is rather heavy, the XCR-L I handled at the store seemed to be lighter and balanced better. I got the M because Iam not a fan of the 5.56, I prefer a little more bang.

Last edited by wally338; 02-12-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Quite happy with Robinson XCR-M, mind you I haven't shot it much. My only complaint is that it is rather heavy, the XCR-L I handled at the store seemed to be lighter and balanced better. I got the M because Iam not a fan of the 5.56, I prefer a little bang.
I'm really curious about those $2K SKS !
They are on my shortlist, considering their ammo.
How do they shoot*? What about maintenance and cleaning*?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
I'm really curious about those $2K SKS !
They are on my shortlist, considering their ammo.
How do they shoot*? What about maintenance and cleaning*?
It goes bang when I pull trigger. Haven't cleaned it yet, I bought it to shoot it not clean it every 20rds.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
It goes bang when I pull trigger. Haven't cleaned it yet, I bought it to shoot it not clean it every 20rds.
Goes bang where you want, or SKS open house style?
Those rifles looks good, tho!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:18 AM

1) Yes I ask my wife permission, it is more of a formality then anything else but it keeps her happy so I get to keep all my stuff. Men always say it is hard to understand women but it is not most of them like to be in charge and be right, give them that illusion and you are fine.

2) The Ruger, the piston operated, is actually 350 bucks less then the V7.

3) Thank you Fredo, some very helpful insight.

4) If there is a semi auto that is fully customizable like the AR that is NR I have yet to see it or it is way beyond my budget. The range is 25 mins away for me and it is not my first restricted so I am used to the hassle. Besides I really like tinkering with guns and this one gives me a lot of options.