Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2021, 10:08 AM

Default Flip over shelter ideas(Trick your trap)

I was looking for a thread like the face book page trick your trap (flip over ice shelter), I dont know how user friendly this site is with pics and such. I have recently purchased an Otter xt pro lodge x-over and wanted to get a few ideas from others here on the AO forum on their setups for fishing when it arrives in a couple weeks. I already have an otter lodge hub which I will use for overnight fishing and first ice. I know the flip overs are usually heavy but this one will fit in the back of my truck or will be pulled by my SXS. The otter pro resort x-over was too long to fit in the box. Also the price difference went from 1500 to 2100.00. I have ordered hyfax runners/cover/tow bar. I also got some foam flooring to put in as well. I did a lot of researching and sat in a few that would fit in my truck box. OTTER vs clam vs eskimo vs frabill. I picked Otter cause it felt more roomy/ construction seemed solid and seats were comfortable. Clam voyager for around same price was too small for my liking. Eskimo was sold out but I still am not sold on eskimo product yet for a flip over , their hubs are nice. Frabill is behind on construction/comfort in my opinion. So just seeing what you all have for flip overs and some accessories you all are using/ designing. I am really interested in a 12v power box as well for light strips / charging/ etc, dont know if i will buy one complete or build one.

Thanks,

Skawtty
Old 11-05-2021, 12:19 PM

These are the accessories I run in my flips...

From Otter:
  • Fishing Towels on each side wall
  • I run Otter's Pro Universal Light Kit. I've used others and made my own from IP67 strips from Amazon. These are the best IMO.
  • Bring an Ice Anchor tool. Yes a Lodge can easily be moved in a strong crosswind.
  • I run both the 3-Pocket Cargo Net and the Storage Hammock in my XT-Pro Resort. These are a no brainer.
  • Yes you still want some storage hooks to hang coats etc. in the back.
  • Otter's Sportsman's Caddy is really nice if you have a Lodge. I bought it for my Resort and it doesn't work with it, so it's sitting on a shelf in my shop.
  • The Hitch Pivot is actually really nice so you're not taking the tow bar on and off all the time. You *will* end up losing a pin at the worst possible time, trust me.
  • I'd say the adjustable rod holders are also mandatory on a Lodge. You'll want two if you can find them. They've been sold out for quite awhile.

From Clam:
  • Clam's Spreader Pole Storage System is one of the best flip shelter accessories out there IMO. A must have so you can find your poles and not have them bent up in short order.
  • The other Clam accessory giving the pole storage a run for it's money as the best flip shelter accessory is Clam's Four Position Rod Holder. Can you just get a Berkley rod holder from CT? Sure. But this one is appropriately sized for ice rods and just works sooooo much better in a tub. Get the one made for hub tents if you want to be able to use it in both. It's actually easier to find.
  • Clam's Sled Lights are really slick for fishing in the dark. Center one under each seat pointing at the hole, and the other in the middle pointing in the tub.
  • I like Clam's Sled Organizer personally. But there are 101 ways to sort your tub.
  • I use cargo nets in some of my flips, as well as most of the Otter sleds I have.
  • I've had a Center Console with Leg for years. The Sportsman's Caddy from Otter is probably a better option for a Lodge, but this one can be deployed in the tub or forward onto the ice between the anglers which is nice.
  • Two other accessories I'd like to try but haven't yet are the Corner Console and Seat Back Storage.

From Eskimo & Others:
  • Other companies have their variations of some of the items noted above. Typically, the Otter & Clam accessories are better thought out and just work better in my experience.

You can also use Amazon to make a nice electrical "system" for your shelter, with battery trays and switch panels etc. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I've had most accessories in my hands as I used to get down to Minnesota lots and have "built" logs of shelters. Cheers.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:04 PM

You can find lots of info on YouTube as well. Just search trick your trap or ice shack mods or something similar.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
These are the accessories I run in my flips...

From Otter:
  • Fishing Towels on each side wall
  • I run Otter's Pro Universal Light Kit. I've used others and made my own from IP67 strips from Amazon. These are the best IMO.
  • Bring an Ice Anchor tool. Yes a Lodge can easily be moved in a strong crosswind.
  • I run both the 3-Pocket Cargo Net and the Storage Hammock in my XT-Pro Resort. These are a no brainer.
  • Yes you still want some storage hooks to hang coats etc. in the back.
  • Otter's Sportsman's Caddy is really nice if you have a Lodge. I bought it for my Resort and it doesn't work with it, so it's sitting on a shelf in my shop.
  • The Hitch Pivot is actually really nice so you're not taking the tow bar on and off all the time. You *will* end up losing a pin at the worst possible time, trust me.
  • I'd say the adjustable rod holders are also mandatory on a Lodge. You'll want two if you can find them. They've been sold out for quite awhile.

From Clam:
  • Clam's Spreader Pole Storage System is one of the best flip shelter accessories out there IMO. A must have so you can find your poles and not have them bent up in short order.
  • The other Clam accessory giving the pole storage a run for it's money as the best flip shelter accessory is Clam's Four Position Rod Holder. Can you just get a Berkley rod holder from CT? Sure. But this one is appropriately sized for ice rods and just works sooooo much better in a tub. Get the one made for hub tents if you want to be able to use it in both. It's actually easier to find.
  • Clam's Sled Lights are really slick for fishing in the dark. Center one under each seat pointing at the hole, and the other in the middle pointing in the tub.
  • I like Clam's Sled Organizer personally. But there are 101 ways to sort your tub.
  • I use cargo nets in some of my flips, as well as most of the Otter sleds I have.
  • I've had a Center Console with Leg for years. The Sportsman's Caddy from Otter is probably a better option for a Lodge, but this one can be deployed in the tub or forward onto the ice between the anglers which is nice.
  • Two other accessories I'd like to try but haven't yet are the Corner Console and Seat Back Storage.

From Eskimo & Others:
  • Other companies have their variations of some of the items noted above. Typically, the Otter & Clam accessories are better thought out and just work better in my experience.

You can also use Amazon to make a nice electrical "system" for your shelter, with battery trays and switch panels etc. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I've had most accessories in my hands as I used to get down to Minnesota lots and have "built" logs of shelters. Cheers.
Thanks for the info appreciated.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
You can find lots of info on YouTube as well. Just search trick your trap or ice shack mods or something similar.
Yes youtube sure has alot of tips as well. I frequently use AO for my downtime reads. So was just thinking to put this out there to share everyones thoughts about flip overs. Didn't want a clam vs otter post as I do use both companies items.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:31 AM

AlbertaGP, thanks for the excellent post!! 100% about the hitch pins. Lost one at a very inopportune time. I bought more... It just fits in the back of my truck so the hitch pivot adds the extra length that does not work for me unfortunately but will likely still pick it up for the times it is not in the back of the truck and I'm towing skidoo and trailer with so I have a place to put it.

Skawtty, solid purchase. All the reasons you gave is why I ended up with the Otter XT Pro Cabin. My complaint is that it is a bit too small for me...I want yours
The fabric and insulation is tough. The snow cover is good. This will be 3rd year coming up for me. Only issue you might experience is the two bolts to the front of the sled that largely hold the pivot of the tent up and down are not tough enough. Advise replacing with high quality grade bolts, lock washers and lock nuts. That is the only issue I've had. Actually bought a cot and -30 sleeping bag and all just fits in for an overnight.

I'm sure you going to enjoy tripping it out and the unit. They are tops.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:59 AM

Since 2015 I had been using a Eskimo 949i and based on its solid performance I purchased an Eskimo Eskape 2600 last year and am quite happy with the purchase. Solid build. Bought the tow bar, cover and hyfax at the same time. What I liked about the Eskimo is there is no seat bar running the length of the sled.

So far I have purchased the Otter sidekick, Otter rod holders and Eskimo stow kit for the supports.

Currently I am ordering some components to make a battery box to run some led lighting and to keep my phone and Bluetooth speaker charged up.

Another modification will be putting a v shaped piece of puck board on the bottom of the tow bar to help mitigate snow accumulation on the flip over when towing with the snowmobile. Track lugs tend to throw a lot of snow.

Watch a lot of Clayton Schick videos on YouTube and the one where he demonstrated the proper way to setup a flip over was a game changer for me. Made setting it up way easier. Mind you no one ever accused me of being all that bright so was not surprised I was doing it the hard way.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
AlbertaGP, thanks for the excellent post!! 100% about the hitch pins. Lost one at a very inopportune time. I bought more... It just fits in the back of my truck so the hitch pivot adds the extra length that does not work for me unfortunately but will likely still pick it up for the times it is not in the back of the truck and I'm towing skidoo and trailer with so I have a place to put it.

Skawtty, solid purchase. All the reasons you gave is why I ended up with the Otter XT Pro Cabin. My complaint is that it is a bit too small for me...I want yours
The fabric and insulation is tough. The snow cover is good. This will be 3rd year coming up for me. Only issue you might experience is the two bolts to the front of the sled that largely hold the pivot of the tent up and down are not tough enough. Advise replacing with high quality grade bolts, lock washers and lock nuts. That is the only issue I've had. Actually bought a cot and -30 sleeping bag and all just fits in for an overnight.

I'm sure you going to enjoy tripping it out and the unit. They are tops.
Thanks Snap for your suggestions
Old 11-06-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Another modification will be putting a v shaped piece of puck board on the bottom of the tow bar to help mitigate snow accumulation on the flip over when towing with the snowmobile. Track lugs tend to throw a lot of snow.
I just saw a video on YT the other day where someone did this. I may have to try it on my Resort. I usually wind up with snow in the tub in long runs across the lake and getting it out is annoying.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Since 2015 I had been using a Eskimo 949i and based on its solid performance I purchased an Eskimo Eskape 2600 last year and am quite happy with the purchase. Solid build. Bought the tow bar, cover and hyfax at the same time. What I liked about the Eskimo is there is no seat bar running the length of the sled.

So far I have purchased the Otter sidekick, Otter rod holders and Eskimo stow kit for the supports.

Currently I am ordering some components to make a battery box to run some led lighting and to keep my phone and Bluetooth speaker charged up.

Watch a lot of Clayton Schick videos on YouTube and the one where he demonstrated the proper way to setup a flip over was a game changer for me. Made setting it up way easier. Mind you no one ever accused me of being all that bright so was not surprised I was doing it the hard way.
I too want a battery box.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I just saw a video on YT the other day where someone did this. I may have to try it on my Resort. I usually wind up with snow in the tub in long runs across the lake and getting it out is annoying.
I feel your pain. Snow darn near impossible to get out.