Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-14-2021, 06:05 PM

Default New reloading equipment

I’ve been loading for my nephew for quite a few years. He is now setting up his own gun/reloading room.

What’s the best press to buy and scale powder dispenser?

My rock chucker supreme and chargemaster have served me well, I’m just not familiar with what the quality equipment is.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:59 PM

I am using a 40 year old Rockchucker myself, I see no reason to change. I also prefer the Chargemaster to any other powder dispenser . I like the RCBS Universal hand priming tool, and the RCBS Case Prep Tool as well.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:08 PM

If you are a reader.
https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04...tage-shootout/

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-14-2021, 07:36 PM

I started with Rockchucker. Really good press. Only complaint is spent primer system. Always seemed to miss the catcher and hit the floor or hard to remove and spill them. No other issues, very good press.

I decided to upgrade, I had already invested into Hornady lock n load bushings so the Forster Co ax didn't make sense money wise. Very good press and worth the money. I went with Redding big boss ll. Primers drop into a tube that is easy to empty. Very little runout. Of course quality dies make a difference no matter what press.

Chargemaster is very good. I upgraded from Lyman electric dispenser. Chargemaster was more accurate in throws. They have really went up in price.

Really a good manual thrower will work good with a quality scale . I also have a Dillon 550b that I use. Use the powder that will dispense good its good for plus minus .1 gr. My original manual thrower from RCBS kit throws .2 gr as well with most powders. I use a few different powders and about 10 different calibers. For the majority of my reloading .2 is good. Lots of milsurp rifles with iron sights.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:38 PM
Banned

I have a chargemaster lite and a intellidroper for sale in the buy and sell here
They both work great just upgraded to a A&D
Old 11-14-2021, 07:53 PM

Op, it probably depends on what you’re loading and what you’re shooting. Lots of variables. There will be a lot who will chime in saying: “use what I use”. But how do they know what you have planned?

More info please….
Old 11-14-2021, 08:14 PM

Default Budget

Budget is important too. Gotta know how much loot the young man wants to drop. Like any pursuit, as you well know, you can go as far as your wallet wants to take you.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:58 PM

I went Forester Co Ax and most of the rest is Redding except for the rcbs hand primer ...lyman electronic scale ... dies are redding but i do use Lee collet die and crimp dies
Old 11-14-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Op, it probably depends on what you’re loading and what you’re shooting. Lots of variables. There will be a lot who will chime in saying: “use what I use”. But how do they know what you have planned?

More info please….
My nephew loads 243win, 6.5x55, 257 wby, 7RM, 338wm. Most shooting is done from 200-1100yds. He won’t be turning necks but just wants to have a really good press and scale/ dispenser.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:47 AM

If he is going to do a lot of shooting out to 1100 yards, and fire more than a couple of thousand rounds a year, then the equipment recommendations will be very different than if he occasionally shoots to 1100 yards, loads mostly for hunting and fires under 500 center fire rounds a year. You can load for high volume shooting on a Rock Chucker with a balance beam scale but your a going to spend a LOT of time in the reloading room. Loading for multiple cartridges also means set up time every time you switch so the number of rounds per cartridge is germane. I would be happy to help, but there isn't enough info to provide a quality recommendation.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If he is going to do a lot of shooting out to 1100 yards, and fire more than a couple of thousand rounds a year, then the equipment recommendations will be very different than if he occasionally shoots to 1100 yards, loads mostly for hunting and fires under 500 center fire rounds a year. You can load for high volume shooting on a Rock Chucker with a balance beam scale but your a going to spend a LOT of time in the reloading room. Loading for multiple cartridges also means set up time every time you switch so the number of rounds per cartridge is germane. I would be happy to help, but there isn't enough info to provide a quality recommendation.
For a few years I shot over 40 pounds of Varget per year using four different cartridges, and yup, lots of time in the loading room!
I tried the higher end RCBS electronic equipment and other progressive machines, and eventually went back to my single stage Rockchucker and beam scale system.
I have a system that works for my long range match ammo as well as my hunting ammo, so it's all good. I know others think it is archaic or obsolete and I'm okay with that. The same people can't get past the fact that my 1,000 meter match equipment includes iron sights and a sling !!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-15-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
For a few years I shoot over 40 pounds of Varget using four different cartridges, and yup, lots of time in the loading room!
I tried the higher end RCBS electronic equipment and other progressive machines, and eventually went back to my single stage Rockchucker and beam scale system.
I have a system that works for my long range match ammo as well as my hunting ammo, so it's all good. I know others think it is archaic or obsolete and I'm okay with that. The same people can't get past the fact that my 1,000 meter match equipment includes iron sights and a sling !!
Cat
Spot on, but few people are you Cat. To be honest, I only moved up to progressive loading gear when I got to the point that I was shooting 10-20,000 rounds of centre fire a year. Up till then I was pretty much using a Turret press, Lyman 55 throwers set to individual powder charges and a .001 accurate electronic scale. Like you I spent a LOT of time in the loading room.
For modern guys, with time constraints, space issues, budget considerations etc, I would hate to send them down the wrong path, switching is quite expensive.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:19 AM

I still have a Lyman 55 as well as a Herrel ready to go, as well as a MVA black powder measure .
Love the 55's!
Cat
Old 11-15-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Budget is important too. Gotta know how much loot the young man wants to drop. Like any pursuit, as you well know, you can go as far as your wallet wants to take you.
Ya, I started reloading about 10 years ago, never in big volumes even now. Anyway I started out at that time with a Lee kit that gave you everything you needed, they still sell them for about $230 bucks. Anyway 10 years later the only piece from that still in use is the Lee Challenger press, just about everything else is replaced with RCBS and a few Lyman pieces. I am fortunate enough today that I have a lot more disposable income, but still haven’t brought myself to upgrade the press or get a charge master. I still use my RCBS powder measure, that is dead on accurate once set. I guess the point of all my babbling is that you can reload with fairly inexpensive equipment!

I would think I will likely give in and upgrade these last pieces and from the research that I’ve done I’ll be going with RCBS Rockchucker Supreme or the new Rebel press and again RCBS for their Charge Master. With the amount of reloading supplies currently available, I’ll be able to keep up fine with my current set up I’m thinking……..
Old 11-15-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
My nephew loads 243win, 6.5x55, 257 wby, 7RM, 338wm. Most shooting is done from 200-1100yds. He won’t be turning necks but just wants to have a really good press and scale/ dispenser.
ok, I'll play.

For the precision long range calibers I shoot (.223rem, 6.5x47L, 6.5CM, .308win, 300prc, .338LM), I use a Forester Co-Ax single stage press. My powder measuring is done with an AutoTrickler V4.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:17 PM

Even though they are hard to get, a Co-ax is well worth the loot and patience needed to get one. No shellholders to buy, no QD die adaptors to buy, buy their bullet puller for it, get an FA hand primer or an RCBS bench priming tool. A lyman or RCBS case prep center can be setup with Lee trimmers. Lyman may even offer a similar trimmer attachment now, I think. Lee makes an adaptor for them anyway.
Other than the Co-ax, I'd go with the RCBS Rebel or the MEC Marksman as both have spent primer handling on them.
There is a new Chargemaster lite out now, has bluetooth, and I'd look for a beam scale with an iron base, not plastic.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:30 PM

I will third the Forster Co-Ax and if not willing to spend the money on an FX 120 or better I’d be looking at a good beam scale.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-15-2021, 10:16 PM

I would buy a Rock chuker or similar single stage press. Progressive presses are great for high volume or pistol rounds once you know what your doing. That to me is the key. I still use a RC press and have for 40 years I can put out enough ammo 200-300 rounds pretty easy in a afternoon without breaking a sweat. ( prep work takes the most time). I did buy a RCBS Charge Master (love it) and once you figure out how to run it properly it can be quite accurate. BUT I still check every 10th charge or so to be sure. I use to use a RCBS 5-10 scale which works just fine but I now use, a much more precise beam scale like they use in medical applications just as a back up to the electronic one. I found the "cheap" electronic weigh scale like you see in all the magazines are a total waste of time and money.

The old adage still stands, buy once cry once.

You can buy cheap. But you will discover over time that It may load ammo but it does not do the same job the mid range products can do and they will fail much more quickly.
Wasting money (Unless your rich?) IMHO on overly high end stuff is only for those who are into SERIOUS competition. Then the "game" changes once again.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the help guys. He is definitely of the mentality buy the best so it lasts a lifetime.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:23 PM

Everybody has a personal favorite system for powder measuring, trimming, dies, case lubrication, tumbling, etc.
But Rock Chucker is the Chevy truck of reloading equipment. RCBS handheld priming tool is pretty good, too.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:30 PM

Personally the rcbs hand primer is the worst one I’ve tried. The hornady or the Lyman are much more user friendly
Old 11-16-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
For a few years I shot over 40 pounds of Varget per year using four different cartridges, and yup, lots of time in the loading room!
Cat
I'm with you Cat, although nowhere near the shooter. As my dad used to say, what's all the racket! I had a Chargemaster and found it quite noisy for the amount I load. Add to that I felt my beam scale was more precise. Sometimes the simple things just work. If I shot high volume, I'd look at a Dillon I suppose.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
Personally the rcbs hand primer is the worst one I’ve tried. The hornady or the Lyman are much more user friendly
Model: 9460
AUTOMATIC PRIMING TOOL (RCBS) More money then the above. Wish I had bought one 30 years ago. Instead of spending more money, over all, on the other options.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.