Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-18-2021, 06:54 PM

Default Benelli M2 vs Sx3

I currently shoot a rh sx3 as a lh shooter and the safety has been reversed. I shoot it very well cleanly breaking birds. When I miss, it’s not the guns fault.

I am considering purchasing a m2 field for the sole reason that they come in left hand and I always have liked how they felt in the hands as well.

I haven’t shot a m2 though. Cycling all loads reliably is important from 1oz target loads to heavier field loads.

What’s your take on the M2. I know the sx3 is a great shotgun already.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:53 PM

Hi Jerry,

Here is my take, FWIW. I am a lefty as well and have owned both the SX3 and M2 LH in 20 guage.

I kept the Benelli M2 LH as it is so easy to carry all day in the field and is absolutely durable, shoots when it is wet and/or dirty and is easy to tear apart and clean with little to no tools. In a duck blind, I don't really notice the recoil, but it does recoil harder than the SX3. The only thing that has driven me crazy is twice (out of thousands of times), I have put the shotgun buttstock down as I go over a fence and that small jar has moved the bolt back enough that it wont fire. Now, whenever i put the gun down, I cycle it to make sure. Small thing but it happens. I love the shim system and I shoot the gun exceptionally well.

I loved the SX3 and it cycles FAST. The recoil is also softer than an M2, but not by a whole lot, according to my body. I liked the fact I could adjust the stock for cast/drop so it worked as a left hander. I didn't like the fact that you will catch powder in your face/eyes at some point, especially here in Alberta in late Oct/Nov/early Dec hunts. It is somewhat heavier than the M2, but I also shot it well.

If I only could have one gun, I would go with the M2, and maybe get a wolff +25 recoil spring installed? Still not sure I want to do that yet. If I could have two, I would have both guns and use the M2 for all upland hunting/ugly weather and the SX3 for waterfowl hunting/clays/target.

You will not go wrong with either, I have smaller hands and the M2 feels just right and I love the gun. Also, don't underestimate a lighter gun, especially if you are carrying it all day for 15+ km.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:34 AM

Default Great Write-up

Mark, what an excellent answer. I’m not a lefty, but I learned real world things about both guns.

What is this powder in the face you speak of with the SX3?
Old 07-19-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Mark, what an excellent answer. I’m not a lefty, but I learned real world things about both guns.

What is this powder in the face you speak of with the SX3?
It doesn’t matter what brand or model of semi auto shotgun you use when you use the wrong handed action, and your face is next to the ejection port, there is always going to be the chance of gases/debris being blown into your face.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It doesn’t matter what brand or model of semi auto shotgun you use when you use the wrong handed action, and your face is next to the ejection port, there is always going to be the chance of gases/debris being blown into your face.
Exactly. I shoot left and had to get rid of a beautiful Beretta Urika 2 trap gun for that very reason. It's hard to hit the birds when your eyes are burning...
Old 07-19-2021, 05:52 PM

Gotcha. I was reading too quickly and thought the OP was saying that gas blowback is an SX3 issue. Thanks fellas.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Gotcha. I was reading too quickly and thought the OP was saying that gas blowback is an SX3 issue. Thanks fellas.

I heard hot gas is regularly produced by the shooters of SX3's.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:25 PM

I own an M2 (12ga). Cycles everything from target load to 3in just fine. I’ve got over 1000rounds of target load through it, to my memory it’s never failed to cycle a target load. Did have a girlfriend try to shoot reduced recoil out of it, it was about a 50/50 whether it would cycle or not. May favourite thing about the M2 is I don’t have to clean a gas system!