Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-27-2021, 10:01 PM

Default Want to buy a new browning BLR

I want to buy a new browning pistol grip BLR stainless 30-06 for next year’s hunting season, but can’t find one. My question is will browning be stocking shelves in the near future? Or if my best bet is to prepay to order one at a local gun shop?
Old 12-27-2021, 10:59 PM

I would buy a bolt action for my first rifle.

Edit: what type of hunting are you planning to do?

Edit 2: I somehow read it as you first hunting season, now I see that it may not be. Disregard if it isn’t the case.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:22 PM

Call Bashaw sports, Prophet River, Ellwood Epps and P and D. One of them will likely have it. Bashaw shows BLRs in stock, just not on 06 as does Epps. If no one has it I would get Clay at Prophet River to order one in, his estimates for delivery dates are usually pretty close. He shows BLRs as stock arriving soon.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-27-2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:55 PM

Cabela’s in Calgary shows to have at least one in stock, but it isn’t stainless:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/9761/...-w-pistol-grip

The only new BLR that I see to be in stock in the country.

Edit: and it isn’t 30-06… Damn, I am slow today. Sorry, op.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I would buy a bolt action for my first rifle.

Edit: what type of hunting are you planning to do?

Edit 2: I somehow read it as you first hunting season, now I see that it may not be. Disregard if it isn’t the case.
I have a 30-30 Winchester and a 303 long branch, I hunted for moose in Newfoundland for years, but nothing in Alberta. Haven’t hunted in 10 years. Hunted last year south of grande Prairie. Anything I could get a general tag for. Mostly bush hunting, power lines and pipeline trails. I know a bolt is probably a option, but I am a lefty and I probably read to many western novels as a young man.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike edward View Post
I have a 30-30 Winchester and a 303 long branch, I hunted for moose in Newfoundland for years, but nothing in Alberta. Haven’t hunted in 10 years. Hunted last year south of grande Prairie. Anything I could get a general tag for. Mostly bush hunting, power lines and pipeline trails. I know a bolt is probably a option, but I am a lefty and I probably read to many western novels as a young man.
There are lots of lefthand bolts, and ambidextrous type actions beyond the BLR out there. You should investigate those options too. Yes I’m a left handed shooter.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-28-2021, 10:19 AM

I actually bought a hand gun from prophet river, founded them great to deal with. I saw the one 30-06 BLR that is Canada. It is a gold medallion priced at 2000 dollars almost. Was hoping to get the stainless for around 1500 dollars.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:26 AM

Buddy, me thinks you need a bolt action.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:31 AM

I have looked a little into left handed bolt, can get a pretty nice bolt gun for the money I am willing to pay for sure and a lot of choices. Kind of got my heart set on the BLR, but I will look into bolt action some more for sure
Old 12-28-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I have looked a little into left handed bolt, can get a pretty nice bolt gun for the money I am willing to pay for sure and a lot of choices. Kind of got my heart set on the BLR, but I will look into bolt action some more for sure
Spike, other than making you feel like Festus off Gunsmoke, levers really do nothing better than a bolt action. Like nothing. They have shtty triggers, and they are hard to work on too. BTW, I hunted with a BLR for 15 years.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:57 AM

I am a lefty and I like levers too. I have always been able to get my levers to shoot MOA or better, with load development and a little tuning. I have one 45-70 that will do 1/2 MOA and my old BLR in 308 would do .75 regularly with hand loads. It would hold just over an inch with Factory Federal Fusion. They don't have to shoot better than that for wacking moose and elk. That said, there are some pretty good deals on LH bolt guns on AO and CGN the past few days if you want to expand your search.

The LH CZ 30-06 that SNS2 found for Tire Bob, new gun, at P and D was a real nice piece too, and 600 bucks cheaper than a new BLR.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:03 AM

I have limited experience with the BLR,, the ones I have shot were pretty danged accurate, but I have been contacted over the years by several people who wished to have them worked on, and I just don't.

I have a friend who picked one up and was able too take it apart and put it back together again with no issues, I think he is the only one I have ever heard doo that- I can tar down a B78 however with no problem and many people hate the danged things!
One thing that has been mentioned, they are really pricey!
Cat
Old 12-28-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have limited experience with the BLR,, the ones I have shot were pretty danged accurate, but I have been contacted over the years by several people who wished to have them worked on, and I just don't.

I have a friend who picked one up and was able too take it apart and put it back together again with no issues, I think he is the only one I have ever heard doo that- I can tar down a B78 however with no problem and many people hate the danged things!
One thing that has been mentioned, they are really pricey!
Cat
I took the ones I had apart a few times, did a couple of the triggers. They are NOT an easy thing to tear down. FPS Plus here on AO is a gunsmith. He works on them and he even works on the new models.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:29 AM

If you want a BLR buy a BLR !
Old 12-28-2021, 11:30 AM

With so many good bolt actions out there I’m not sure why anyone would want a lever unless you have been watching Yellowstone and want to look like John Dutton.

I find lever guns a pain to clean, cleaning from the muzzle pushing everything into the action.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:26 PM

Never watched Yellowstone, don’t watch fiction anymore, except for the news. I will admit old shows like gun smoke, the rifle man and all the Clint Eastwood western movies that I watch years ago is influencing my decision. But I always say if you don’t buy what you want, you are wasting your money. Going to be hard to find I think.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:34 PM

Having a Browning Lightning BLR in 7 Rem Mag, the thing about the BLR is that the eye is always on the scope and the finger is always on the trigger.

Bolts don't do that.

A quick second shot with a BLR is the beauty of the thing.

That being said, my BLR is too nice to hunt with and we use Remington 7600's in 30.06. Very adequate for hunting accuracy which is all I care about.

Thing about the 7600 Pump action 30.06 is your eye is always on the scope and your finger is always on the trigger, just like the BLR.

Funny thing though, I rarely follow up with a second shot so maybe its not that important after all.

Drewski
Old 12-28-2021, 12:52 PM

LH CZ 557 in 308 at P&D.

That is a gorgeous gun that would be in my safe if it were right handed. There is nothing better about a BLR than any part of a beautiful rifle like this.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Having a Browning Lightning BLR in 7 Rem Mag, the thing about the BLR is that the eye is always on the scope and the finger is always on the trigger.

Bolts don't do that.

A quick second shot with a BLR is the beauty of the thing.

That being said, my BLR is too nice to hunt with and we use Remington 7600's in 30.06. Very adequate for hunting accuracy which is all I care about.

Thing about the 7600 Pump action 30.06 is your eye is always on the scope and your finger is always on the trigger, just like the BLR.

Funny thing though, I rarely follow up with a second shot so maybe its not that important after all.

Drewski
Unfortunately, due to the recoil of big game cartridges, the crosshairs don't remain on the target as you fire multiple shots. An experienced bolt action shooter keeps the rifle shouldered, and cycles the bolt as he recovers from the recoil,and gets the crosshairs back on target. You don't see a lot of pump or lever action rifles, being used by dangerous game guides, but you do see a lot of bolt actions, and if rapid follow up shots weren't possible with a bolt action, that wouldn't be the case.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:58 PM

I love the looks of a lever. Just not the cleaning, the triggers, and finding a gunsmith to work on it if need be.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:09 PM

One of the biggest advantages to lever rifles is their slim profile for saddle scabbards or racks in SxS's, etc.
I don't buy into thd quick follow up shot theory for z bolt gun because tge fastest is a double rifle.
Personally I have never worried about multiple shots on animal unless bears , then it was a double for me .....
Cat
Old 12-28-2021, 01:11 PM

Guys. He didn't ask to get talked out of a BLR. I know most of you and you have all bought guns just beause you wanted one. I can't tell you how many hundreds of time I did it too. Guns are REALLY easy to resell if you ever want to.

If a guy has an itch, let's help him scratch it by helping him locate a stainless BLR in 30-06.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Guys. He didn't ask to get talked out of a BLR. I know most of you and you have all bought guns just beause you wanted one. I can't tell you how many hundreds of time I did it too. Guns are REALLY easy to resell if you ever want to.

If a guy has an itch, let's help him scratch it by helping him locate a stainless BLR in 30-06.
Exactly!
I know some guys look at the stuff I shoot and just scratch their heads.....
Cat
Old 12-28-2021, 01:17 PM

You two fun killers
Old 12-28-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Never watched Yellowstone, don’t watch fiction anymore, except for the news. I will admit old shows like gun smoke, the rifle man and all the Clint Eastwood western movies that I watch years ago is influencing my decision. But I always say if you don’t buy what you want, you are wasting your money. Going to be hard to find I think.
Good for you, get a BLR.

Fyi there are 3 Leupolds for sale on just the first page of this site's optics buy&sell. I'm sure there are more on the older pages.

My youngest used his lawn and snow shovelling money to get a lever 45/70 when he was 12. I took him to buy the last one at Wholesale Sports when they were closing.

Levers are fun to shoot. Enjoy your search, the journey is part of the entertaiment.

I'm a leftie too. I don't pack a gun during hunts as my kids carry rifles and I push bush. My kids have issued an ultimatum for me to get my WIN so I will be packing a gun in 2022. They find an unarmed hunter embarrassing.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

I guess so, the guys should buy what he wants. If he realizes it's not his thing then sell it and move on. Hell if you don't try it ,it will bug you till you want one, I will also look around for a 3006 ss .

JD
Old 12-28-2021, 02:01 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
If you want a BLR buy a BLR !

Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
LH CZ 557 in 308 at P&D.

That is a gorgeous gun that would be in my safe if it were right handed. There is nothing better about a BLR than any part of a beautiful rifle like this.

Jeez stop posting this stuff. One day I'll push my limits bringing home just one more, and the boss will kill me. I'm right handed.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2021, 02:27 PM

I bought gold medallion BLR as my first rifle. Kept hunting with borrowed bolt guns still until I bought my own. One problem being the medallion is “too nice” to take to the bush which is where I spend most of my hunting time. Another was it took forever to set up properly with a scope due to not being able to find the correct bases and whatnot. I actually got sold two different sets by the “pro” shops (one here and one in Ontario) that never matched the rifle (one set was installed and it would not shoot worth poop, lol; we could not figure out what the heck was going on). Then I got more clue myself and found proper hardware. Another “problem” is cleaning - an unnecessary pain in the butt. And so on.

I recently wanted to pick up another lever, but it wouldn’t be a BLR. Couldn’t find any I was interested in. There are a couple available at the local Canadian Tire, but those are also “fancy” levers worth around and over $2K, which is not what I want. There are way better rifles available at that price point.

This is not the way of talking anyone out of it, just the “process” I went through. If you want one, buy one. I tried looking yesterday trying to help you out to no avail (well, aside from the wrong calibers I posted yesterday, lol).

It looks like at this point, the way to go is to put a deposit down (it appears most need as high as 100% and 50% refund in case of cancellation). Or just wait and hope for one to pop somewhere. Posting an ISO thread here and the gun nuts might be another way to go.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I bought gold medallion BLR as my first rifle. Kept hunting with borrowed bolt guns still until I bought my own. One problem being the medallion is “too nice” to take to the bush which is where I spend most of my hunting time.
Cat
No such thing as a gun that is too pretty to hunt with!