Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-03-2023, 05:10 PM

Default Shotgun shell reloading. Worth it?

Does anyone have a definitive cost on reloading shot gun shells. Do you know the cost per box that you need to be over to make it worth reloading. I’m currently looking at reloading for a 20 gauge. What hauls work best? What’s a good price on lead shot? What is availability on lead shot like?
Old 12-03-2023, 05:28 PM

Most of my shotgun shell reloading is out of necessity, because my main hunting guns are either muzzle loaders or black powder cartridge guns.
As far as modern stuff goes, I make my own shot , and have collected compnants over the years so can load cheaper than I can buy factory ammo.
However , I also buy 12 and 20 gauge for trap and skeet .
I used to be able to load got about half the cost of factory, not sure what it would be now .
Cat
Old 12-03-2023, 05:29 PM

I load 28 gauge and 410, my cost averaged $9 per box with components purchased a year ago. Buying components today, if you can find primers, you are likely looking at $10-12 per box, depending on which components you choose. A good single stage press will run you $500-$600, and a full progressive MEC $1100-$1200. Depending on how many rounds you load per year, and which press you choose, the savings could pay off a press in a year or two, or it could take a decade or more. Loading 3000 rounds per year of 28 gauge, I saved enough to pay off a MEC 9000 the first year, but 28 gauge target loads cost around $24 per box, so a 20 gauge would take me two years loading the same 3000 targets per year to break even. A single stage press will produce around 100 shotshells per hour, and a progressive press 250+ per hour.

I don't bother loading 20 gauge, as I only shoot 1000 or so each year, so more than 5 years to break even.

I do shoot around 3000 rounds of 12 gauge per year, but saving only around $1-$2 per box, and using more shot and powder, it would likely take 10 years to break even.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-03-2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 05:32 PM

Possibly if you make your own shot and get the lead for free.
Other than that it's handy for making some loads that are hard to find like small lead shot magnum.
Old 12-04-2023, 10:03 AM

Reloading steel runs me around 15$ a box. I bought the components relatively cheap as there was an opportunity for me to get a lot of things for less as it was a estate. Like all reloading, you can get better results over the factory shells, of course sticking within the limits....

Its a passion/enjoyment factor - it is cheaper, dont factor in your time, and search for the deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneOutdoors View Post
Reloading steel runs me around 15$ a box. I bought the components relatively cheap as there was an opportunity for me to get a lot of things for less as it was a estate. Like all reloading, you can get better results over the factory shells, of course sticking within the limits....

Its a passion/enjoyment factor - it is cheaper, dont factor in your time, and search for the deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unlike rifles where I handload to develop a specific accuracy load with a specific bullet, I load shotshells strictly for cost savings. I save around $3000-$4000 per year by loading 410 and 28 gauge which works our to about $100 per hour for my time. Shooting skeet, my scores are the same whether I shoot factory or handloads.
Now if I needed a low pressure load for an old shotgun, or a specific load that I can't buy, I might load for that reason as well.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-04-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-04-2023, 12:44 PM

Default One other benefit

Neither Elk or Cat mentioned it, you shoot more, a lot more and you become, as they have a dead shot. In other words they never miss. When Elk says his scores didn't change, that's because he hits them all. Great guys to have shooting if you are a dog handler!

I shot only upland any more and use #4 lead in a .410 but if I was starting over I'd get a 28 ga. like the one Elk uses.

I started because of poverty, 12ga. but now for my .410 I do it because I can't find any factory ammo to buy. I don't miss birds either but that's because I have a very good dog, and she tells me where the bird is and when it is going to flush. The shots are about 15 yards!

I love the hobby.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:57 PM

Reloading shot shells with my old PW375 does keep me a little busy in the winter.

But as others have said I have components, lead , primers,12 ga. hulls "left over" from more vigorous shooting days so my costs will bear no relationship to a newbie's.

BUT my main purpose in shot shell reloading is to create 3/4 "or slightly lighter" 12 gauge skeet shells. That way I can shoot two rounds before shoulder (no rotator cuffs and big arthritis) a few times a week when the weather is decent.

So each to his own, to me shot shell reloading is a means to an end, and it seems it's that way for most folks.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:36 PM

I have a MEC progressive press for both 20 and 12 gauge, handed down from my father. I have no problem figuring it out. (Sadly from the onset of dementia to his passing I was never able to glean info from him on its operation). But it is something that I am willing to put time, money and resources into if it is cost effective and components are easily sourced. But if it’s a love of the sport type thing with limited cost saving, I’d allocate my energy to something that bears a little more fruit for my labour. I have no shotgun that require special loads.
Old 12-05-2023, 05:26 AM

Default Reloading Costs

You can generally get a used press somewhere pretty cheap - I sold a 20ga Mec Jr a few weeks ago for $120 to someone at our club as i shoot so little 20 and it was cluttering up my office.

I just added it up using current prices
I load either 3/4 or 7/8oz 12 ga.
I have found no difference between light loads and 1 1/8oz in my level of success, shooting any sort of clay target out to about 45 yds if I do my part. - I do choke up a bit.
The only difference I notice is how my shoulder feels afterward.

Hull $0 - I pick them up or other guys collect theirs for me
Primer - 0.08 (Cheddite 79.95/1000)
Powder - 0.13 (18 gr @ $50/lb)
Wad - 0.03 (ClayBuster 16.95/500)
Shot - 0.13 (3/4oz 69.95/25lbs)

Gives 9.34/box for 3/4oz 9.91 for 7/8oz and vs $12.50 at the club or 14.99 at Cabelas for Challenger
All of these need to have GST/HST added as appropriate for hand loads and for factory loads.
So round figures it offers a saving of about $2-3 a box for 12ga
The load price for 20ga should be about the same.
We don't typically pay for shipping as our clay supplier will ship loading supplies free with a load of clays.

This doesn't account for the number of duds - maybe 1 or 2 per thousand or lost powder or lead when the primer doesn't drop or seat or you have a moment's inattention and don't put in a wad or dump something on the floor. (for me anyway, shotgun shell reloading is not the same precision operation as centerfire reloading)
Also spousal pushback (non-financial penalty) if you put your press on the kitchen table with c-clamps and she steps on stray shot in her bare feet.

So it really depends on whether you can get a cheap press (if you buy a new MEC 9000 you will have to shoot a lot (oh darn) to make it pay) and whether you want to take the time and make the effort to do it - the f-around factor is not insignificant.

Last edited by Sundog57; 12-05-2023 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-05-2023, 05:55 AM

About 5 years ago a buddy and I bought out a dispersal of shotgun reloading supplies and there was a whack of stuff, 60 bags of shot, 25,000 primers, 6 kegs powder and about 40,000 wads and hulls AA and federal gold medal, given that we both shoot 1 oz loads we sold off or traded some of the stuff we didn't want and put the money back into the pot.
We have been shooting it up for the past 4 years and this past summer we finished loading everything and used up the last of the supplies save for a few odds and ends, when the smoke cleared we were reloading 1 oz loads for $3.25 per box, everything was loaded on a ponsness 600 progressive press, once these are gone it's bite the bullet time and buy fresh supplies or shoot factory stuff, I hate the thought of it but it is what it is.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:08 AM

Default Reloading Costs

PS - When I say "I choke up" I meant my shotgun, not me when I am chasing a really good score and I only have a couple more shots to take... (that happens all too frequently)