Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Default 7mm Rem Mag 150gr load data

Trying to help out a friend that is having a great deal of difficulty working up a load for his Saho 75 lightweight fluted barrel. He has become very frustrated and we decided to just start over and throw out all the acquired data so far. Trouble getting it inside 3" at a hundred and the barrel is just fine.
I have never shot this calibre and have no acquired data but I have all the books and programs but sure could use some field tested and proven data and if anyone has any loads that they have worked up that shoot well and would be willing to share, it would be appreciated.
We are going to change up to a 150 gr swift as we have lots to test with.
He was trying to get heavy bullets like 165 and 168 to shoot but it is not to be.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Whenever a gun wouldn't shoot for me I'd try the accuracy load out of the nosler book or try a Hornady interlock. I have my best luck with TSX's, but if it won't shoot Hornady's then I look at the mounts or the scope.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 AM

if I had a Sako that wouldn't shoot inside 3" I'd be checking the scope and mounts.......if everything is OK there I'd contact Stoeger...
Old 08-04-2009, 06:39 AM

You do realize that every rifle regardless of make model, and serial number will show it's own prefrences to loads.

that means loads should be developed for the specific rifle.

Since you have manuals and internet skills, compile your data, and find what may appear to be a common or few common trends, and persue them.

Remember to work up your loads looking for accuracy.

With all that in mind;
Try some powders like 4350(either), 4831(either), 7828, H1000, RL22.

good luck

There are no absolutes
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 AM

Two loads that I shoot that are go to for me.

175gr Hornady IL, Rem. brass, Fed. 215, 64gr. RL22. This is a warm load, work up to it. I've never had any trouble with it, and I get 5-6 firings from my brass. I've found every 7mm rem mag I work with to shoot this load well.

162gr. Hornady SST, Rem. brass, Fed. 215, 70gr. RL25. I shoot this load for hunting, and I switch the SST out for an Amax for my heavy target 7mm rem mag. I've found that CCI 250 primers work well too, if not even better. I haven't fully tested this though.

I hope that things work out for you. But it almost sounds like there is other trouble. So that you can be helped, can you give all the info on the scope, mounts, loads tried, method of shooting test loads, how clean the barrel is and so on.

I'm not trying to be a clown, but I've never seen a Sako shoot 3" groups at 100 yds.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:23 AM

Ive heard that the sako's come from the factory with the reciever bolts way to tight, loosen both screws and re-tighten them to snug. Also check that the barrel is floating, slide a piece of paper down between stock and barrel, it should slide down as far as the recoil lug easily. I would also give the barrel a very good cleaning it could be copper fouling giving issues. After doing this buy 1 box of decent factory ammo and shoot a couple of groups to establish a base line. If the groups are still wonky, it's time to remove the scope, check that the mounts on the receiver have not come loose,(remove and loc-tite if questionable) then mount a different scope. Retry grouping the factory load , once you get a decent grouping then it's time to develop a hand load for your rifle.