Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 11:01 PM

Another shout out to Clay and the gang at Prophet River. They are great to talk to. Canadian Tire at Macleod and and Southland
Proline
Flys Etc.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:03 AM
Banned

Precision optics in quesnel is top notch
As is Sylvester’s
P&D
Prophet river
Neerlandia coop
I live 2 min from a cabelas and I avoid buying anything more that targets or primers from them
Old 07-09-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
All 5 local businesses in the NE/lakeland are small, independent and top notch as well:

Sylvestre sporting goods

Franchere sporting goods

Poachers corner

Warehouse sports

Lac La Biche sporting goods.
Stopped at Franchere sports today. Lady of the place seemed very pleasant and helpful. The man of the place walked in and I asked about buying some gunpowder He was a little gruff but that’s fine… he asked to see a PAL which isn’t a legal requirement but that’s fine as well, ( no need to have a PAL to purchase gunpowder, it’s regulated under the explosives act nothing to do with ammo) then he reached for a doutang in which I assumed he was going to record my info in. I told him they he couldn’t write my info down as it’s against the law for them to record my info, maybe not illegal but it’s my legal right to not have it recorded, ( especially in a book that’s left out on the counter)
This fellow instantly became enraged and I threw my hands in the air and said “ whatever, write it down”. I don’t think it would have mattered what I said as he was seeing red and I walked out before I could escalate anything any further. One quick phone call from his parking lot had me in touch with some very nice people at Sylvesters Sports and I went in and had a very pleasant experience with very knowledgeable staff.
Definitely won’t ever step foot in Franchere sporting goods again and will be happy to share my experiences every where I go
I understand anyone can have a bad day and dealing with the public can be a stressing experience, I’m sure others have had wonderful experiences with him, as if this his regular demeanour his store would have stayed open for more than few weeks
I had another gentleman with me who agrees that I am correct with my account of the exchange

Looking for original tang saftey rugers in 223 and 416 Taylor,a light model(black foreend)in a 257 and 7x57

MK11 or Hawkeye in 6.5 creedmore, 325wsm,17/22

Last edited by rugerman257r; 07-09-2021 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:04 AM

Bashaw Sports and Pro Line Shooters , a few shops with a little soul. Similar to walking into McRae Pioneer and visiting with Alex and Duncan < [?] at their shop on 17th ave in Forest lawn many moons ago.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Precision optics in quesnel is top notch
100%. High end equipment, and Omer is a hardcore sheep hunter to boot. Great guy to talk to
Old 07-10-2021, 10:53 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Prophet River, then Bashaw Sports, most of my firearms and supplies come from one or the other.
Agreed can't beat those two businesses.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:38 AM

I went to Bashaw for the first time last month, nice little old school shop, next favorite is Fly's in that regard. I like visiting Calgary Shooting Center to look around, bought the last two guns there. For online stuff, I've had good luck with Western Metals, convenient to stop and p/u stuff there now on a trip to Calgary, if they have what I need. I have no particular favorites for online stuff, but, have bought from quite a few different places, haven't had any issues with any of the supporting vendors here or on CGN.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerman257r View Post
Stopped at Franchere sports today. Lady of the place seemed very pleasant and helpful. The man of the place walked in and I asked about buying some gunpowder He was a little gruff but that’s fine… he asked to see a PAL which isn’t a legal requirement but that’s fine as well, ( no need to have a PAL to purchase gunpowder, it’s regulated under the explosives act nothing to do with ammo) then he reached for a doutang in which I assumed he was going to record my info in. I told him they he couldn’t write my info down as it’s against the law for them to record my info, maybe not illegal but it’s my legal right to not have it recorded, ( especially in a book that’s left out on the counter)
This fellow instantly became enraged and I threw my hands in the air and said “ whatever, write it down”. I don’t think it would have mattered what I said as he was seeing red and I walked out before I could escalate anything any further. One quick phone call from his parking lot had me in touch with some very nice people at Sylvesters Sports and I went in and had a very pleasant experience with very knowledgeable staff.
Definitely won’t ever step foot in Franchere sporting goods again and will be happy to share my experiences every where I go
I understand anyone can have a bad day and dealing with the public can be a stressing experience, I’m sure others have had wonderful experiences with him, as if this his regular demeanour his store would have stayed open for more than few weeks
I had another gentleman with me who agrees that I am correct with my account of the exchange
That’s an accurate albeit nice description of the encounter. I’ve never experienced treatment like that at a small business. Oh well.

It was amusing that a quick look on the Sylvester banner above, a phone call and stopping at the store resulted in the exact opposite experience. Kudos to Sylvester sporting goods for getting us setup with what we needed. The firearms counter had the powder out and waiting for us, but turned around so the label wasn’t visible, the powder make was required before the powder was handed over for confirmation. A great experience and a good visit with friendly folks!

With a couple more known trips up to the Lakeland area this summer/fall, my off hours shopping will be anywhere but at Franchere Sports, with Sylvester’s as the number one stop.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-16-2021, 05:09 PM

I’ll recommend big dog outdoors for all your bow hunting needs. Small buisiness with a shop in taber,Medicine Hat, and pincher creak I think. Darcy and Cody are top notch guys who will help you out with all your bow hunting needs
Old 07-18-2021, 12:20 PM

Big shout out to Sights and Arms in St Albert. They saved me a trip to Bashaw for some gunsmithing I needed done and I didn’t need to leave my rifle with them. All staff were friendly and extremely pleasant to deal with.
Bonus was I lucked out and found a new rifle at a good price for my son who will going into his first big game hunting season this fall….🙂
Old 07-18-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Big shout out to Sights and Arms in St Albert. They saved me a trip to Bashaw for some gunsmithing I needed done and I didn’t need to leave my rifle with them. All staff were friendly and extremely pleasant to deal with.
Bonus was I lucked out and found a new rifle at a good price for my son who will going into his first big game hunting season this fall….🙂

Funny, I was in there yesterday for the fist time actually in the store. Other times I had phoned them. Not huge space but lots of stock and really friendly, knowledgeable guys. I will definitely go back.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Funny, I was in there yesterday for the fist time actually in the store. Other times I had phoned them. Not huge space but lots of stock and really friendly, knowledgeable guys. I will definitely go back.
Agreed and I was there too yesterday for the first time …..
I will be back as well.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:30 PM

Backcountry Supplies is a another good store.
Also Golby Hardware in Coronation and Westveiw Co-op in Hanna have a decent selection of guns and ammunition.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:07 AM

ProLine Shooters in Calgary

Eagle Firearms in Sask
Old 07-20-2021, 08:11 AM

Had pretty good experience with North Pro Sports out of Saskatoon.
Good guys , don't gouge on powder prices and shipping was fast.