Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 PM

Default Peterson Brass..

Just thought I would pass this along FWIW,
I recently purchased some .260 Rem Brass mfg'd by the Peterson Ctdge Company in the US. To say the least, I found it to be exceptional. It compares very favorably to Lapua .. maybe even better.

The new brass comes neatly packaged in a foam padded ammo case, itself of very good quality. First move was to check the neck concentricity. Runouts were just about bang-on at .001 variation overall. Now on my sixth loading, I trimmed up the cases after two firings, and still going. Primer pockets are still like new and the case seems to be a long way from a required annealing. I fully expect to get at least twenty reloads from this brass ..maybe more. Available with small or large primer pockets too... and they make a Match Grade as well..
..It's good stuff!
Old 01-04-2019, 08:51 PM

source?
cost?
what chamberings are available?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 PM

X -reload carries Peterson.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:03 PM

https://www.petersoncartridge.com/
Old 01-04-2019, 09:28 PM

Been looking for it in 300wm, X-Reload is sold out.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:11 AM

Default Doesn't

Appear to be much of a selection in calibers?
Old 01-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Shooting Xs

Peterson Select Match grade,guaranteed to be weight sorted to within 1 grain.
I'd be curious to see how their regular brass weighs out for variance in a 50 or 100 case lot and the price difference for the time it takes ,if one was inclined to do so.
Fat Neck 6.5 CM cases for those that neck turn ,the OP stated he found very little run out as far as neck concentricity is concerned and there should be enough neck wall thickness to turn for tight neck chambers already,if you're sizing up might be handy though.
Also curious as to why anyone would prefer to buy a bulk bag of 100 cases for $1.00 less,rather than 2 cases of 50, nicely packed in Ammo boxes for shipping and use. Are there 3 levels of quality ,bulk[maybe for AR10 platforms?] ,regular and match?
Over all though,it's nice to have another quality brass manufacturer to choose from with competitive pricing for some of the more popular cartridges with some options in Primer pocket size choices.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Just thought I would pass this along FWIW,
I recently purchased some .260 Rem Brass mfg'd by the Peterson Ctdge Company in the US. To say the least, I found it to be exceptional. It compares very favorably to Lapua .. maybe even better.

The new brass comes neatly packaged in a foam padded ammo case, itself of very good quality. First move was to check the neck concentricity. Runouts were just about bang-on at .001 variation overall. Now on my sixth loading, I trimmed up the cases after two firings, and still going. Primer pockets are still like new and the case seems to be a long way from a required annealing. I fully expect to get at least twenty reloads from this brass ..maybe more. Available with small or large primer pockets too... and they make a Match Grade as well..
..It's good stuff!
Thanks for the heads up and report. Always good to hear about options for quality brass at reasonable prices. Winchester and Rem brass has increased in price so much it is now about the same as Lapua, but Nosler/Norma is still a ridiculous price. Good to see Peterson competing effectively. Hope they bring out some more cartridge options.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:09 PM

I wonder if they are going to expand their line. 223 rem, 204 ruger, and 300 RUM perhaps. Still they offer a nice line.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 AM

Smile Peterson Brass

I purchased some last yr. from X-reload in 6.5cm lr pockets . I am impressed at its quality and nice pkg/box to use when they are loaded. Read the info on there co.site and gave it a try. Iam on 6 loading and brass is still great shape/consistant tension and pockets tight. JFI.. !!
Old 01-12-2019, 02:01 AM

Coincidentally was just browsing an east coast reloading forum earlier tonight and guys there were giving same rave reviews,comparable to Lapua/as good or better then Norma etc.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:57 PM

I have been using their 308 brass for the past year now and it has given me exceptional results in my "cheap" Savage 10TR. I hope to start using the 6.5 creedmoor brass shortly as well. Both were aquired from x-reload.

I have never used higher end brass so I don't have anything to compare it to but I have been impressed with the consistency. All the cases are trimmed and ready to go out of the box (just like Nosler brass, but without the premium $ attached). The foam lined reloading box they came in was a great feature as well. All said I think it is a great option, especially for the price.

If the rumors are true they will also be offering WSM brass sometime this year. Hopefully some will make it north of the border...