Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-30-2021, 03:00 PM

Well, I've been hemming and hawing trying to decide between an Otter Vortex Resort and an Eskimo Outbreak 650XD. I went to Cabela's and got to see a 450XD set up. It looked like a really nice tent in terms of build quality. Stared at the two XD650 boxes on the floor and *almost* picked one up. But the Resort just popped up on Cabela's online in the past 24 hours, so I'm going to have them bring one in and pick it up when I'm back in the city in a couple of weeks. $900 for the Outbreak 650XD vs $750 for the Resort makes it a no brainer. I'd love to try the full length door, but I can't stand Eskimo's cinch endload storage bags and fighting to put the hub away at the end of the day. The perfect hub for me will be the Otter Vortex Pro Resort when it releases likely next year. I'm gonna be selling a lot of hubs in the Buy & Sell forum over the course of this season I guess...
Old 10-31-2021, 01:11 AM

This will be my third year using this setup for ice fishing. The floor is 5/8” plywood screwed to 2*4 sleepers with 1” polystyrene insulation and glued linoleum with door hinges used to keep it all tight. The floor goes on top of 2*3 sleepers that are separate and held in there pattern by a ratchet strap band, you lay these down first to mark your holes, after drilling and shoveling you put the sleepers down and then the tent floor on top (they are cheap insurance against the floor freezing to the ice in case of bad flood water overnight). The tent skirt anchor holes are attached to the floor with machine star bolts and then a rope with a binder keeps the skirt cinched tight around the floor. I run a big buddy heater and a Milwaukee 18V fan in the tent and within 20 minutes of set up you can be fishing in your socks.
The tent is the 6*12 insulated tent from Cabellas. I also set up a Eskimo 949i with a two burner camp chef for cooking, this tent also serves as spot to use the poop bucket as well.
The main tent sleeps 2 people well, 3 is doable and 4 is really tight but possible (all on army cots). All five holes are catch cover holes with sleeves right down to the ice and two of them are late night fishable even with three cots set up. The cots get stored in the Eskimo during the day and we sit on the hard back Costco camping chairs during the day.
This setup is heavy and a bit of work to set up, if or should I say when I build my next setup I think I will use 3/8” plywood with 3/4” plywood strips for sleepers and 1/2” foam on top of 2*3 sleepers to cut down on the weight.
I cannot adequately explain how nice it is to be on a warm dry floor fishing 3” off the ice 4 hrs from home, sipping a whiskey and catching walleye at midnight in -30 conditions wearing pajamas, it’s as close to heaven as I think I will get to in this lifetime.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:40 AM

Im still looking for a co detector that has a screen that shows the co number on it also needs to be a battery unit, if anybody finds this please post where you find it, store or online
Old 10-31-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Well, I've been hemming and hawing trying to decide between an Otter Vortex Resort and an Eskimo Outbreak 650XD. I went to Cabela's and got to see a 450XD set up. It looked like a really nice tent in terms of build quality. Stared at the two XD650 boxes on the floor and *almost* picked one up. But the Resort just popped up on Cabela's online in the past 24 hours, so I'm going to have them bring one in and pick it up when I'm back in the city in a couple of weeks. $900 for the Outbreak 650XD vs $750 for the Resort makes it a no brainer. I'd love to try the full length door, but I can't stand Eskimo's cinch endload storage bags and fighting to put the hub away at the end of the day. The perfect hub for me will be the Otter Vortex Pro Resort when it releases likely next year. I'm gonna be selling a lot of hubs in the Buy & Sell forum over the course of this season I guess...
I can assure you the 650xd is very easy to put in the bag by yourself. I have a quick fish 3 as well I use for solo trips and it is a pita for sure. The 650 bag is much roomier has external velcro cinch straps and is overall just better built.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I can assure you the 650xd is very easy to put in the bag by yourself. I have a quick fish 3 as well I use for solo trips and it is a pita for sure. The 650 bag is much roomier has external velcro cinch straps and is overall just better built.

I sewed some Velcro cinch straps for my Eskimo Quickfish 6i and they help immensely.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-01-2021, 02:44 PM

Our Eskimo double bubble has always been a pain to get into the bag, and our old Clam Basecamp was a dream...seemed like the bag was near double the size of the tent itself....which has always made me lean more toward Clam stuff, but I'm curious about the newer generation of Eskimo tents...hopefully they are a bit easier to get in the storage bag!
Old 11-01-2021, 04:22 PM

Eskimos have always been notorious for their undersized bags. They may have fixed it recently (I doubt it) but many a stiff, frosty Eskimo has been packed off the ice out of it's bag over the years, including my two year old 9416i more than once.

You'll think your Eskimo is fine until you get an Otter.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Eskimos have always been notorious for their undersized bags. They may have fixed it recently (I doubt it) but many a stiff, frosty Eskimo has been packed off the ice out of it's bag over the years, including my two year old 9416i more than once.

Again....I can assure you the 650xd Outbreak is a piece of cake to put away....alone....in -30....with the wind blowing. The bag is huge and has 3 external velcro cinch straps....it is far and away better then any previous eskimo I've seen or used. My older 3 man non insulated eskimo most of the time does not get put back in the bag until I get home because it is b#$%&.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:06 PM

I'm not questioning your 650XD. I'm just pointing out that Eskimos have long been notorious for that issue. Eskimo products were long considered a "value" line in ice fishing. Now that they make some of the best products out there, they *should* be going back and fixing their known issues. Good YKK zippers, good ice anchors, $h!tty bags...that's been the Eskimo mantra for years.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:41 AM

Cabela's hub bags have plenty of room. I never have to wrestle mine to get in back in the bag. One of the nicest feature of the Cabela's hub shacks. I've had mine for about 5 years and no issues. "Knock on wood".
Old 11-03-2021, 02:30 PM

I'm curious to see what Cabela's has for hubs..... if they have one big enough for our needs, I might be interested. Really hoping they have various models/brands set up in store for people to check out...
Old 11-03-2021, 09:07 PM

Just picked up an Eskimo 850XD. Can’t wait to try it!
Old 10-29-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:

That’s why you sold me the Eskimo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 10-29-2022, 10:53 PM

Glad this thread got necro posted.... We're buying our Otter Monster Lodge tomorrow and we'll be ready for overnighting on Newell and area come first ice. I am beyond excited to figure out how to properly set up our tent. Watching a Schick vid right now as I type this, to get some ideas. Gonna be so much fun to take advantage of the early morning and late night bites!
Old 10-29-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
That’s why you sold me the Eskimo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hehe. You found me out. Logically, an end load bag and a frosty hub shelter aren't going to get along. I actually thought the 9416i and the 850XD went into the bag pretty good when I compared them all a month or so ago. I guess I have a short memory (Heck, I know I have a short memory). FWIW, I've fought to get Otters back in their bags as well.

If you want a relatively easy fix for the problem, order these from CMX Outdoors or elsewhere. You can reef on them but good and they will compress any hub considerably more than the single strap that comes with these hubs. Otter just started selling them as an accessory last year.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Glad this thread got necro posted.... We're buying our Otter Monster Lodge tomorrow and we'll be ready for overnighting on Newell and area come first ice. I am beyond excited to figure out how to properly set up our tent. Watching a Schick vid right now as I type this, to get some ideas. Gonna be so much fun to take advantage of the early morning and late night bites!
I don't think Clayton has the best setup, but then he needs to accommodate a pile of camera gear. You can research setups 'til the cows come home, starting with this thread you bumped last year. While there's more than one way to do it, there is a pretty standard setup depending on whether you use bunks or just cots. Here's a couple of pics of my solo setup in my Resort (the rod case fits under the Disc-O-Bed. I'll probably solo in the Monster Lodge at least once this season...at a lake where I can use my sled/Ranger to haul it out.

Old 10-30-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Im still looking for a co detector that has a screen that shows the co number on it also needs to be a battery unit, if anybody finds this please post where you find it, store or online
That's a monitor your looking for not a detector. Used for confined space air monitoring. Would work well but probably pricey.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
That's a monitor your looking for not a detector. Used for confined space air monitoring. Would work well but probably pricey.
Any recommendations on the best CO detector for this type of use (in an ice shack)...? We bought a couple from Canadian Tire last year but curious if anyone recommends any one in particular...
Old 10-30-2022, 08:51 PM

I use the Garrison units from CT. Get two and replace one every year after that. Sleep like a baby.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:36 PM

No pics at the moment, but I use a 6'x12' pop up with 2 cots and a small, portable woodstove. No condensation, no CO worries and I only have to stock it every couple of hours in the night. I use a -7 bag so I wake up before the fire gets too low.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
https://www.amazon.ca/Handheld-Monox...57512717&psc=1
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/kle...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 10-31-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
ended up buying this one

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08Y714Y9V/...e-815fb6406bcf
Old 10-31-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Have you used it yet? I'm curious what types of numbers you've seen.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:15 PM

Built this hunting and fishing rig when I retired
Old 11-01-2022, 05:41 PM

One more, furnace and fridge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86ECF4E7-58E5-4244-A845-0994C452B9B4.jpg (19.7 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg DE1734B2-F582-4736-95E3-E9AAC5D84F6B.jpg (19.7 KB, 133 views)
Old 11-01-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Have you used it yet? I'm curious what types of numbers you've seen.
yes i have used this carbon monoxide unit, never had a scare with this unit, but good to have it, to keep everyone safe., Nimrod
Old 11-02-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
yes i have used this carbon monoxide unit, never had a scare with this unit, but good to have it, to keep everyone safe., Nimrod
Does it have preset alarm values And how loud is the alarm. Does it automatically shut off if not being used like some units ( not sure I like that). I have the fixed ones in my cargo trailer but would like a portable one. Thanks for the on-site
Old 11-08-2022, 11:34 AM

what do you think of a portable generator and electric heater overnight? zero chance of carbon monoxide.(unless you put the generator in your tent)
Old 11-08-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafwit View Post
what do you think of a portable generator and electric heater overnight? zero chance of carbon monoxide.(unless you put the generator in your tent)
I don't know enough about generators but my concern has always been the noise. Fish are so sensitive to any kind of noise from above, and I always figure the generator would spook 'em real good.... but are there generators that are next to silent? That might work...
Old 11-08-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafwit View Post
Go check out the power requirements for an 18,000BTU electric heater. You're gonna need a big, heavy genny to pump out 5000+ watts continuously.