Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-22-2022, 01:49 PM

Default Favourite underwater camera angles

Hello All

I am just curious how other people set up their underwater cameras.
I have the entry AquaVu 715C and have been using the horizontal view.

Have people tried/prefer " down the hole" , 45 degree up or down view?
I know depth and water clarity plays into it.
Watching YouTube and it looks like the "pros" use 45 degree down view when they use it.
I know a lot of people are now running the active target, mega live or livescope so cameras are on the way out, if you invest in one of these systems.

I am not looking for an edge just generally curious if people have a preferred view.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:54 PM

Changes with species and depth fishing but most often I'm using the 45 degree angled down.

Sometimes the bottom composition makes it tough to see fish so we go 90 degree horizontal or angled up.

Straight down for finicky fish like whites in shallow water.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:58 PM

45* down is my preferred to keep the camera at a different level than my baits. But I run a Quad HD, so that's no longer an option.

On my Revolution Pro I use it in straight horizontal and drop it to the bottom. But that unit is mainly for scouting and reading bottom structure.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:41 PM

I've usually got it pointed up however many degrees that is on the little piece of plastic. I keep it about 6" off bottom and have it pointing up and that generally gives me what I want to see...
Old 11-22-2022, 06:56 PM

I run mine "straight on" as I find it gives me the best perspective of what the angle and exact height the lure is compared to the fish - also lets me see if they are coming up or down from the water column and stuff like that.

Typically I run the camera back far enough to see the 2 lures/holes we are jigging in the tent if the water is clear enough to put it that far back. If not, the camera panner is a godsend - best invention ever (also lets me scope around to see what's happening.

A little plastic foliage on the camera cable actually, and ironically, tends to hold fish a little longer (particularly perch) who like to be near cover and not out in the open. The down side is it can be a tangle trap if you are fishing light gear and mr pike comes in and starts tripping out and going crazy in every direction.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:44 PM

Thanks everyone!
Not sure when I will be able to get out again but will try tinkering around with different set ups.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:27 AM

if Im fishing deeper for walleye I will hang it horizontal near the bottom, for pike I prefer shallow fishing and point the camera straight down the hole or close to straight. sometimes I can get the right angle and see both baits on screen at the same time, thats perfect. hanging it pointing down near the ice also makes it easy to grab the cable and yank it out of the way when you set the hook. just dont drape the cord over the frikkin heater like this dumbazz did you can adjust the angle even more if you use a wooden clothespin .

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-30-2022, 12:49 PM

When fishing shallow(under 10') in clear water I set mine about halfway down at the 45 degree angle and about 3-5 feet away from the hole I am fishing. In deep water such as cold lake for lakers I put it looking down towards bottom. I don't run it often at 90 degree angle as I find the fov severely limits visibility and I see more in 45 or straight down.