Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-14-2009, 08:16 AM

Default Calgary Shooting Ranges-in and around

we became members of the Olds range 2 years ago - Mountain View Marksman's Assoc - and just wanted to hear your thoughts. I know the range has been challenged recently by locals wanting to shut it down due to noise and traffic.
The range went through major reno's last year but I feel they really went wrong by emphasizing on pistol bays and leaving the rifle range a sorry mess...I never went in the very late fall, so not sure if they cleaned it up..they had removed a good portion of benches and it was a tight and awkward fit to get all the rifle shooters squeezed...wondering why they would not spend some $ to get some quality benches etc laid across to accommodate....made a trip and got my membership at Rosebud - OMG, it's like a different world and the trip up north to Olds ain't that appetizing any more....probably only to pistol shoot.
Any comments on the Olds range?
Old 03-14-2009, 04:36 PM

Default Mvma

I just checked their website and it seems they have made some in-roads with the county. I was going to join but I think I will wait until the noise issue is settled.

The website said they are going to finish the 300 yard development.

The range would be good for me in the summer because I have an RV in Sundre and it is a short drive to the range.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:36 PM

I was there today for shooting rifles and they havn't done anything to the rifle range since fall, that being said I had no problem finding a bench and they are open to 200 yrds. talking to some guys they say they are planning ongetting the 300yrd range open as well this year. that will be nice.

They have had a change on the executive for the range, will see what it does. hope they keep it open.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:47 PM

Default Rosebud Range

Shooter55,

How did you get a membership to Rosebud. I have sent e-mails but get no answer on requests for membership.

Do you have to know somebody?
Old 03-14-2009, 08:10 PM

yes and yes. It is not an easy process.....I had to re-learn to actually write a letter and it helps to be recommend by a member. By all means, it is the Cadillac of gun ranges for the $. I will never let is lapse. A number of members must have cancelled their memberships (there was a wash out in the road last year preventing entry) which is good for us.....
Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 PM

In respect to Olds, I hope they improve the rifle range...I was very disappointed....come summer, its going to be hard to find a spot on the line with the limited (and crappy) set up
Old 03-15-2009, 10:33 AM

There are MAJOR upgrade plans in the works for the rifle bays for 2009
In 2008 we ran out of $$ to finish the projects that we started, and until spring it is difficult to "landscape" well. The 300 yard berm must be increased in size before the CFC will approve its use.
We have plans for several new shooting shacks with concrete benchs and some other cool things.
The complaints of noise and dust are 100% unfounded several of us on the executive have documented this to the county and in an upcoming meeting with the county believe this will be put to rest once and for all.

As is usual with any club, trying to get anyone to help make things happen is VERY difficult, most members prefer to bitch about things and let others do the work, rather than to pitch in and help.
My strongest suggestion to ALL MVMA members is to come out to the next meetings as that is when YOU will have some input into what IS planned to happen at the range.
The most recent AGM had the largest turnout EVER, almost 40 of the 1000 members showed up. We elected a complete new executive of guys who MAKE things happen, I think the club has taken a very positive and proactive step with the new blood at the helm.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM

Default Rosebud Range

Shooter55,

Thanks for the info. When I discovered they have disabled their membership link and did not answer my phone messages I kind of figured they had become an "old boys" only organization.

I have bumped into this sort of thing before with other organizations where they limit membership.

That is unfortunate for an organization that belongs to the APRA where one of their stated goals (on their website) is:
  1. To create public interest for the encouragement of small arms shooting both as a sport and as a necessary means of national defense.
Oh well I guess I will have to continue looking for a public range that supports all shooters, not just members of the elite.

Thanks again for clearing that up.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Its funny to see this post cause I just sent an email to the MVMA this weekend inquiring about membership. I was concerned because of reading about the noise and dust complaints. (obviously just pettiness on some peoples part). Glad to hear that it has been resolved.

My membership at TSE here in the city is up this month and I really only shoot varmint rifle these days so 50m indoor range is kinda limiting.

All of my inquiries to APRA associated clubs ended up with no responce or outright rejection so I had to look at alternatives.

Hope to apply for a membership soon and do some load testing for gopher season.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:04 PM

Default Mvma

I'm with you Surf, glad to hear ATR's comments, but I'm going to wait until they post that the problem has been resolved on their website. As far as I know it is still "in progress".

Not that I don't believe what he is saying, but I've had some dealings with small town government and you never know how they are going to vote, the locals typically have a lot of pull, logical or not.

I know a few of the MVMA members and have attended one pistol shoot to help out a buddy scoring last year. I was a member of CDTSA for many years but that range is in town and as the city grows I think it will be pushed out, and like you I like to shoot at longer ranges than 100 yards which is their limit.

Hope the MVMA get themselves sorted out because I will happily give them my money and am willing to do my part in range work as well.

I think the ARPA should do a little investigating into the membership pracitices of the groups it supports, they don't seem to be living up to their charter. To me anyone who truely wants to have people shoot puts their membership applications and rules online for all to see and use. Much like the MVMA.

Good luck with the gopher loads and if it all works out maybe I'll see you on the range at Olds.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
, but I've had some dealings with small town government and you never know how they are going to vote, the locals typically have a lot of pull, logical or not.

Very true!! Nothing is ever a 100% slam dunk when dealing with any government group.

We have conducted sanctioned sound tests and can prove that the complaint lodged by an individual in the county is 100% baseless. Along with the other concerns that the county and local residents has dreamt up.
We have also prepared a detailed statement on how much $$ the club brings into the community every year, this number staggered even me.
The CFC range inspection supervisor has endorsed the improvements and this spring we will be EXCEEDING them by a significant degree.

I can not remeber the date for our meeting with the county, but it is very soon. will keep you in the loop as to how we make out.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 PM

Default Mvma

Thanks ATR,

Application is filled out, just waiting to staple a cheque to it and add a stamp.

I've always enjoyed your posts about long distance shooting and the advice you provide. Perhaps we will get to meet, go for a coffee and you can give me some tips on the finer long range guns in life.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:28 PM

My uncle owns a farm the next road down the from the olds gun range. I remember going there when i was younger and never hearing the range but now you hear the pistol shooting all day long even over the gas plant and gravel pit noise. Its not as if its loud its just hearing it all day, I know if i was living out there i would not enjoy hearing that all day and i understand where the locals are coming from. that being said i know how hard it is to find a nice range and a safe place to shoot so for me the range is a toss up.

as for other ranges i have shot at the homestead range out west of Calgary and it as a beautiful range I plan on joining once i get my new rifle scoped

Last edited by Alta_Redneck; 03-16-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:05 PM

This thread looks like its more than a few months old but I was wondering if anybody has contact information for MVM. I sent an application in april. My cheque was cashed beginning of may. I have sent a few emails to the membership director and president, but haven't gotten a response from anybody.

Thanks