Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-24-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I have no long range shooting experience but have stayed at a Holiday Inn, and googled some results from the International Benchrest Shooters Association ... It looks like among their 1000 yd results, the top ten shooters are holding "about" 1/2 MOA (sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less - depending on "conditions"). If my math is correct, this means both the shooter and equipment needs to be able to consistently shoot under 1/2 MOA at shorter distances in order to even have the POTENTIAL to run with the IBRSA big dogs.
At Williamsport about 15 years ago , one of the best shooters at the 1,000 yard game had a 10 target agg of just under 8" - that is ten target of ten rounds each averaging 8". In the World Championships that year, his second shot went right off the target!!
Crap happens, for sure!
Cat
Old 12-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Some dude was bragging about making 500 yard offhand shots to Lefty the other day. Sounds like he is the best shot in the world.
Successful 500 M offhand shots are routine on a high power metallic silhouette course of fire. The 500 M rams are 32" wide by 27" tall, but there are lots of air gaps between the legs and under the head.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Successful 500 M offhand shots are routine on a high power metallic silhouette course of fire.
Misses and "sticks" as well, 'specially in the hunter class!!
Cat
Old 12-24-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Misses and "sticks" as well, 'specially in the hunter class!!
Cat
Not saying it is easy done but have seen it done at Nationals, including ringing or turning a ram that doesn't fall. I occasionally shoot smallbore rifle and smallbore pistol, but have never shot the big stuff (can't afford it).

imo, some of the best known distance offhand marksmen are found among those who play the metallic silhouette high power game.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Not saying it is easy done but have seen it done at Nationals, including ringing or turning a ram that doesn't fall. I occasionally shoot smallbore rifle and smallbore pistol, but have never shot the big stuff (can't afford it).

imo, some of the best known distance offhand marksmen are found among those who play the metallic silhouette high power game.
I hear ya loud and clear!
Love silhouettes and used to be a fair to middlin' shot with an palma rifle as well.
However, if a person really wants to get in shape for hunting, taking their hunting rifle and running the course for HP silhouette will get them their faster than anything!
Cat
Old 12-24-2014, 11:55 AM

I say a hearty BS to dudes on this board claiming to shoot offhand at 500 yards and hit a pie plate. A very hearty BS!

When 260Rem posted the offhand challenge, at 100M no less, next to no one was stepping up to the plate.

Lots of big bullshootters if they are claiming 500M off hands on anything resembling a consistent basis.

If someone shows me their videos, I issue a sincere apology.

Something tells me I won't be apologizing anytime soon, but feel free to prove me wrong.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:57 AM

Default to Cat

True that.

Funny thing is that most everytime I promote smallbore silhouette as an affordable way to increase one's in-the-field hunting success, the silence is deafening.

Otoh, a thread that involves shooting off a cement bench or bipod catches fire in no time.

Odd isn't it?

edit: then there are the disbelievers like our man sns2 above, who convincingly project their own limitations onto the whole wide world.
Those are the guys who if they show up at a silhouette event leave their rifle in their truck claiming they "forgot" it at home.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Successful 500 M offhand shots are routine on a high power metallic silhouette course of fire. The 500 M rams are 32" wide by 27" tall, but there are lots of air gaps between the legs and under the head.
3x2 is a little bigger than a pie plate and I am not talking about National level shooters. This is about AO members. I think
Old 12-24-2014, 12:00 PM

My range, SPFGA, only goes out to 300M. At my range, where I am a regular shooter, the best shooter I have witnessed is easily 260 Rem. Not even close.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:07 PM

sns2, any level shooter can shoot at Silhouette Nationals. It can even be a person's first ever match, or third as occurred for me.

No I didn't place well. But I learned a heck of a lot and stuck with the game long enough to improve from where I'd started from. What blew me away was the generosity of many top-ranked shooters who (if asked at the right time, not before their course of fire), were willing to critique my stance and method.

A great bunch of guys and gals.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
sns2, any level shooter can shoot at Silhouette Nationals. It can even be a person's first ever match, or third as occurred for me.

No I didn't place well. But I learned a heck of a lot and stuck with the game long enough to improve from where I'd started from. What blew me away was the generosity of many top-ranked shooters who (if asked at the right time, not before their course of fire), were willing to critique my stance and method.

A great bunch of guys and gals.
Excellent. I still feel the same about a certain dude who recently claimed he can shoot well offhand at 500M.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiegeRiver View Post
Agreed.
Indeed this is correct!

LC
Old 12-24-2014, 12:30 PM

sns2, I don't shoot high power silhouette, so I don't shoot rams at 500 M.

I do occasionally shoot smallbore silhouette, where the rams are at 100M, and was in the middle third of the pack when it comes to success.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Well, I hit the bullseye at 60 yards with my Excalibur crossbow once, so I must be in there for long range shooters
Old 12-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Banned

At a Sweetgrass shoot, I managed to hit and knock down the 1st ram, I also got a confirmed hit on the 3rd one but it didn't go down, I think that I hit him in the nuts. Oddly enough (maybe not so odd), it's the turkeys that always go unscathed. By turkey, I wasn't refering to "that" certain dude either. Still managed to shoot well enough to bring home some iron. My secret?.....t'was a good ON day and maybe some luck too.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:47 PM

I used to be the worlds best shot, when I was 5 years old I had a toy gun I could load up with imagination and hit anything, I once shot germans halfway around the world, never missed, I shot Apollo rockets out of orbit and could kill dinosaurs with one shot. I'm not as good a shot today as I used to be.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I say a hearty BS to dudes on this board claiming to shoot offhand at 500 yards and hit a pie plate. A very hearty BS!

When 260Rem posted the offhand challenge, at 100M no less, next to no one was stepping up to the plate.

Lots of big bullshootters if they are claiming 500M off hands on anything resembling a consistent basis.

If someone shows me their videos, I issue a sincere apology.

Something tells me I won't be apologizing anytime soon, but feel free to prove me wrong.
If I had a 500 yard range I would love to take that challenge after a couple of ranging shots. I can frequently (75% of the time) hit a 4" bull on my steel gong at a ranged 377 yards, freehand with a shooting sling, with a few of my rifles (270 wby, 300 wby and 308 Norma). Cat has seen the pics. I leave the scope on 4x and know my loads trajectories. 500 is a long bloody shot for sure. One gust of 10 mph wind and your screwed. I've tried it a time or two but there was always a wind present. This is why I generally don't shoot at game over 200 yards.
Note: My rifles are very well made rifles (Shultz & Larsen & Sako) and my triggers are tweaked to 2-2.5 lbs pull with no creep.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:11 PM

You might as well start the thread WHO CAUGHT THE BIGGEST FISH....
Old 12-24-2014, 02:24 PM

I can tell you one thing.
NOT ME!!!

Old 12-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Bring on the videos.

I ain't projecting my inadequacies on anything or anyone. I'm no different than most of you guys. When the stars align, I can shoot pretty darn good off the bench. I come back to earth as soon as I stand up and start shooting offhand at the gongs. I may be a lot of things, but I ain't a braggart, and I ain't a proponent of long range hunting either.

I still think anyone who claims they can shoot deer or pie plates offhand consistently is full of it.

We all have smartphones so whip out the phone and let's see your handiwork.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:52 PM

Consistently at 500m
Old 12-24-2014, 03:13 PM

I shoot deers at 600 yds with my snubbie .44
Old 12-24-2014, 06:50 PM

Not sure if I'm the best shot around, but I do have an 800 yard private range. Cold bore shots are tricky, however I do shoot allot, and have worn out a few gongs.. This winter the range is getting stuck out to 1200 yards, and I'm hoping to add a heated shack to shoot from. -40 shouldn't be an excuse not to shoot.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Banned

I shot a 6x7 bull elk on opening day at 9 paces (meters) with my Rem 700 in .338 Win Mag , the 250 gr. bullet hit exactly where I pointed my rifle, that was the most flat shooting bullet I have ever seen, that is pointed, not aimed .

As far as I am concerned, the .338win is the flattest shooting caliber available ,

FLAT , From zero out to 9 meters, amazing, simply amazing
Old 12-24-2014, 07:26 PM

Default Not me either.

Longest rifle kill is 300 yards. This was lying prone with a bypod and backpack for stability. I routinely shoot 300 yards at my rifle range so I know where my guns shoot at that distance and what the loads are capable of. I've never tried anything beyond that. It would seem long distance success is a combination of the appropriate gear (meaning rifle, optics, bullets, wind and elevation indicators etc). But over and above the gear is shooter skill. Meaning practice, practice and practice. I don't have access to a range with long distance targets and I am not in the market for a bunch of new gear so I'll stick to 300 yards and closer when shooting.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:03 PM

Rob Furlong.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 PM

Iam 2000 yards dead on 1 shot one kill of course it was in a leopard 1A5 firing 105mm APFSDS

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 12-25-2014, 02:38 PM

► 0:38► 0:38

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQun2P6JLmc

I hope it works, here is a link to you tube of my 13 year old daughter shooting my custom built 338 Lapua at the Valley View gun club. She was 12 at the time. I was told the moose is at 750 yards. She is aiming at a heart shaped 1/2" plate about 10"or 12" square that is welded on the full size moose which is also made of steel. If the link fails just google valleyview gun club and look under videos. It is the 38 second video with the cover page just showing a white moose silhouette. She may not be the best in the Alberta Outdoors world but she is very good in my books.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
► 0:38► 0:38

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQun2P6JLmc

I hope it works, here is a link to you tube of my 13 year old daughter shooting my custom built 338 Lapua at the Valley View gun club. She was 12 at the time. I was told the moose is at 750 yards. She is aiming at a heart shaped 1/2" plate about 10"or 12" square that is welded on the full size moose which is also made of steel. If the link fails just google valleyview gun club and look under videos. It is the 38 second video with the cover page just showing a white moose silhouette. She may not be the best in the Alberta Outdoors world but she is very good in my books.
She's a better shot than I am ............that hit is dead center.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:31 PM

I remember watching Dean Miller shoot about a 2-3/4- 3", 10 shot offhand group, 200yds, at Spruce Grove, thru my spotting scope. I was pretty impressed with that. Forget what he was shooting for sure, probably a 210gr or so, cast bullet from a 32Miller Short at about 1500fps. Unfortunately, he shot it at about 10;00 off the 25 ring, think it was a 236/250.