Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Banned

Default Why do you pistol grip a shotgun?

Is it becoming a cool fad to pistol grip a shotgun?

Does it make people feel like a gangster?

I just don't get it.

A lot of accuracy is lost in this design.

Do you actually hunt or sport clays with it?

Please explain......

Last edited by Boots270; 01-14-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:37 AM

So far as I know its simply for compactness when carrying as wilderness protection. I'm sure there's an element who think they look cool, but its not a comfortable configuration nor accurate for anything but close range (but then if its long range its not enough of a threat to justify shooting it, is it)?

I think if permission to carry handguns for wilderness protection was easier to get we'd see fewer of these being sold up here.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:58 AM

Don't think it's just a "coolness" issue. You see it a lot in turkey guns. And I don't think military manufacturers include them just because of how it looks. A pistol grip must have some advantages in certain shooting situations, though I'm not knowledgable enough to explain them with any certainty. Strikes me the pistol grip is more comfortable for your wrist if you are holding your gun on target for considerable periods of time, which would be the case in turkey hunting or military situations.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 AM

It depends, pistol grip no stock, compact bush gun mostly for jacking around and bush type protection(flame away), pistol grip with a stock actually increase gun control reduces felt recoil and is way more natural position of the wrist.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:23 AM

Use 1

$200 Mav in pistol grip makes for a great bush gun, and very easy to handle in thick bush

Use 2

Looks bad @s$..
Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 AM

Default pistol grip

There was a little discussion on this a bit back. Stating that accuracy is lost, is simply incorrect. Granted, 'accuracy' with a scattergun is a loose term, some of the most accurate weapons in the hands of professional snipers and marksmen(women) are pistol gripped. IMO, used correctly on a shotgun, it allows for more stability when using your non-dominant hand for tasking, as well as providing an opportunity to share the recoil. Yes, this applies strictly to a pistol grip and butt combo. As for the pistol grip only, it is an anatomically easier way to hold that little mule kicking bugger! I do not think I would ever consider a pistol grip only.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 AM

I have a Winchester defender 12 ga pistol grip. The thing is just brutal to shoot. You better be hanging on to it. it is nice and short though to have with you stream fishing.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Pistol grips are no good for fowl hunting, especially with the upwards angles, etc., But I understand that for standing & shooting straight ahead, they can feel great in the hands (preference matters obviously). And yeah, that's often tactical and it does look cool, so there's that.

It's fun to hear from people that have used both & how they find it works/doesn't work for them. I haven't used a pistol grip yet so won't comment on that.