Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Banned

Default ruger no1

I have always wanted to try one out but have never seen one in AB. Anyone know where or who sells any?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Banned

http://store.prophetriver.com/catego...ger/1-%252d-B/
Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
he his way back ordered on them right now.....
Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Banned

Thank you, I have phoned him in the past to confirm.
I have watched his site and the # 1s disappear.

http://www.bashawsports.com/contact.html
Contact bashaw he has items not always on display.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Thank you, I have phoned him in the past to confirm.
I have watched his site and the # 1s disappear.

http://www.bashawsports.com/contact.html
Contact bashaw he has items not always on display.
lol. none there either, sorry....
Old 01-12-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
he his way back ordered on them right now.....
did you check his consignment link? I think he has some used #1's that are minty fresh . Could be wrong.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 PM

Honestly they are nothing special i a no1b in 25-06 the trigger is a disgrace and it was a project and a half of tinkering with bedding to get it to shoot good as from factory 3" groups were the norm for it. It is a good accurate rifle now but it took some work to get it that way now i have a work related attatchment to it so it stayed . On the plus it handles nice and looks pretty plus its in a great cartridge lol sorry if i derailed your question a bit my no1 is a love hate tender spot
Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
did you check his consignment link? I think he has some used #1's that are minty fresh . Could be wrong.
good point!, sorry, no I haven't. I talked to them about 10 days ago and they had nothing then, but u are right , that can change quickly
Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Banned

Don’t know his contact information, but Roy out of Warburg sometimes has #1s,
I did not attend his last gun show, but he sometimes has information or products.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Banned

I have a buddy working. In loyd said few days ago had a 270 wby and. 300 1by both in
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbolthunter7mm View Post
I have a buddy working. In loyd said few days ago had a 270 wby and. 300 1by both in
yup, he got those 2 out of a bigger order...from what I understand, they are hard to find right now, but they are there depending on what caliber u are looking for
Old 01-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

Another 270 would be. Sweet with all my other wbys pilling up lol
Old 01-12-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Honestly they are nothing special i a no1b in 25-06 the trigger is a disgrace and it was a project and a half of tinkering with bedding to get it to shoot good as from factory 3" groups were the norm for it. It is a good accurate rifle now but it took some work to get it that way now i have a work related attatchment to it so it stayed . On the plus it handles nice and looks pretty plus its in a great cartridge lol sorry if i derailed your question a bit my no1 is a love hate tender spot
Interesting, I have never seen a no.1 that I couldn't make shoot, and I have owned literally dozens of them since my first in 1980.
The two I own at the moment are so accurate that I consider them boring!
No.1's are around, one just has to know where to look
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-12-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Interesting, I have never seen a no.1 that I couldn't make shoot, and I have owned literally dozens of them since my first in 1980.
The two I own at the moment are so accurate that I consider them boring!
No.1's are around, one just has to know where to look
Cat
Come on cat ive seen pics of one of your no1s it was far from factory
Mine is sub moa now just took a lot of doin to get it there like you said you can make them shoot
Old 01-13-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Mine is sub moa now just took a lot of doin to get it there like you said you can make them shoot
I bought a brand new No. 1 spring 2012 and it was great out of the box. Clean, crisp trigger at 3 lb 4 oz, which is about as good as one can expect from a factory trigger. The rifle was also super easy to work up a load for as it just loved 200 grain accubonds (.300 H&H) which is the bullet I wanted to use anyways. I love the thing.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
I bought a brand new No. 1 spring 2012 and it was great out of the box. Clean, crisp trigger at 3 lb 4 oz, which is about as good as one can expect from a factory trigger. The rifle was also super easy to work up a load for as it just loved 200 grain accubonds (.300 H&H) which is the bullet I wanted to use anyways. I love the thing.
Awsome to hear thats all a guy can ask for really im jealous mine had a nice chunky 6.5lb trigger pull wanna trade triggers? Lol
Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I left a couple with factory rifles and even the ones I re-barrelled shot well.
The .270 with the maple stock has a factory barrel on it and a factory trigger, when I got it it had 4 different hand loads that came with it.
All shot into a 1MOA group at 200 yards.

a 7mm mag that I biught here ended up at the Shootist.
When I bought it it came with 5 boxes of different factory ammo, all with two rounds gone and the target they were shot at.
All the to shot groups were under 3/4" and all were hunting bullets.
The gun was never touched .
They will shoot just as well as most other factory rifles.
Cat
Old 01-13-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I left a couple with factory rifles and even the ones I re-barrelled shot well.
The .270 with the maple stock has a factory barrel on it and a factory trigger, when I got it it had 4 different hand loads that came with it.
All shot into a 1MOA group at 200 yards.

a 7mm mag that I biught here ended up at the Shootist.
When I bought it it came with 5 boxes of different factory ammo, all with two rounds gone and the target they were shot at.
All the to shot groups were under 3/4" and all were hunting bullets.
The gun was never touched .
They will shoot just as well as most other factory rifles.
Cat
Must have got a bad one best it ever shot on factory was 1 3/4 " group and that was after all the bedding work i did i finally found a handload that shoots under an inch tho so it can stay. That is till it breaks again had to send it to quebec to get some of rugers wonderfulll factory fit parts they wont sell you replaced( lever release button) got to love sendin a rifle to idiots who still ask for registration papers lol
Old 01-13-2014, 07:34 AM

There was a time when Ruger's barrels were on and off .
It had to do with different outsourced barrels IIRC.
One I had in .243 would shoot 1" on a good day. but even 1 3/4 " will ot be noticed on a White tail at 200 yards IMO.
These are hunting rifles first and foremost, and unless they are in a varmint cartridge, pinpoint accuracy is not needed, in a no.1 or a bolt gun for that matter, but that is just my opinion.
Cat
Old 01-13-2014, 07:44 AM

I have a #1 in 204 ruger and it is a great gopher gun. I don't get around to shooting it enough but it is fun to shoot- could use a "better" trigger for sure.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:43 AM

I love/hate #1's, they have a poorly designed forearm hanger and their factory triggers are notoriously poor. That's why there are companies that specialize in #1 aftermarket parts. Sure they can almost all be made to shoot sub moa,,, BUT,,, expect to have to do some tinkering. Every one I've owned has strung shots vertically out of the box and had to have the forearm modified and the trigger replaced or worked on. The nicest one I ever owned from the mid seventies had the forearm floated, an aftermarket trigger and the scope mounting ramp modified so it didn't contact the receiver. That's a lot of after market work for a gun that is supposed to be a companies premium rifle. It just seems to me that the company rushed the #1 into production without working out all the bugs. So then we the customer get to finish what the engineers at Ruger should have. But they are a great looking strong action single shot. The model 1885 on the other hand has a much stronger forearm hanger design that actually does free float the barrel. And the trigger is worlds better than the Ruger's. When the 1885's wore the Browning label they came with very nice wood and fine checkering. The current 1885's have plain wood and really coarse machined checkering that looks like something you'd expect to find on a much cheaper rifle. For a rifle that sells for around $1500 the checkering is so poor it actually cheapens and devalues it. So,,, pick your poison. I'd still pick a #1 over a current 1885. Ruger makes the #1 in enough different configurations I can always find one I really like. Sure I'll have to do a bunch if work on it, but then that's half the fun of it.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:01 PM

Ruger cut back the #1 cartridge offerings this year, and their production is plugged with other stuff. So, the newer ones for the store shelves, are a bit harder to come by. The new Winchester version 1885 could use better looking stocks to help justify the price. But, it's likely not something that is high on their priority list , either. But, the trigger has improved over the Browning version.

They are out there, check the gun shows, call a few of the bigger shops. Not everybody who has them, will show them on their website. And if you can't find one in the cartridge you want, they are no sweat, to put a new barrel on either one.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:03 PM

Where are you located?

I got mine from Wholesale Sports, and love it.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 PM

I just bought a No1 S in .300H&H -a rifle and cartridge I have long wanted to work with. I can't wait to get it. The models A, S, RSI and H have appealed to my sense of rifle aesthetics for years now!

Lots of guys seem to get marked inprovements with bedding the forend/hangar, and/or putting a pressure shim between the hangar and barrel (or a Hicks accurizer). I' am keen to shoot mine first and see how it does. I hear that the more recent models are more consistent than those of a few years ago.

They are doing the S in 9.3x62 for 2014 - very nice!